Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 04/05/2018 at 09:54, Christmas Tree said:

We’ve done it to death and I’ve got gardening to do. But if you honestly believe there will be no tomato’s after Brexit :lol:

Asda has started rationing tomatoes (amongst other fruitas and vegetables sourced from Europe).

There’s an article about that on the Beeb website. It mentions Europe not having the same issues whilst explicitly stating Brexit is (have a wild guess) NOT to blame 

• Haha 1

It really is the boiled frog though isn't it? We've just gotten used to empty shelves and rotting fruit and veg.  It's never got back to normal aferter covid/Brexit, and never will now. They've even taken the best before dates off a lot of produce under the guise that as long as it's not mouldy it's okay to use. But does this reduce waste? Because I always used this as a guide rather than a rule anyway, and quite often now my veg goes putrid just days after buying it. You can't always tell how old it is when looking at it in the store. So it gets binned anyway and I'm out of pocket. 

• Like 3

Good thread on why we are suffering food shortages and the EU are not. The MSM still reporting its nowt to do wqith Brexit when of course it fucking is. Exporters within the EU (like Spain) preferentially export to EU markets. Whilst those outside (like Morocco) will also prederentially supply their (by far) biggest market. Basic economics, we are left with the dregs. Worth remembering that this is whilst we are not even bothering to enforce our own regulatory borders :lol: . We can't ever do this now as the disruption would be too great*. Meaning we have no quality control and can't apply tariffs properly, resulting in billions lost tax revenue. But meanwhile the EU are more than happy to apply their own regulatory rules, much to the disbenefit of British exporters. What a fucking joke. 

* Or maybe not.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/think-the-tomato-shortages-are-bad-you-aint-seen-nothing-yet/

Edited by Renton
  • Sad 1

I'm fairly frugal when it comes to food shopping but my one indulgence is an organic veg box delivery. Between that (which is much, much longer-lived - and tastier - than supermarket produce) and frozen veg, that covers most of what we need. I'm aware it's a middle-class indulgence, but it doesn't actually work out that much more expensive than buying what's available in the shops, especially when supply and pricing are increasingly patchy.

I also need to check myself, because there are times when I find myself thinking that limits on supermarket purchases aren't a bad thing per se - I've seen first-hand how selfishly people acted during the pandemic, for example, and I don't blame big chains for wanting to stop themselves from being exploited by piss-takers. It's also important to note that this isn't a new thing - Asda have introduced temporary limits on things like value-brand pasta in the recent past, all depending on demand.

But obviously that doesn't change the fact that we are - quite obviously :lol: - suffering more than most as a result of Brexit. Unfortunately, persuading people of this was always going to be a long game, so we have to keep drip-feeding stuff like this until it finally filters through. We're talking years or decades rather than months, regrettably...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I'm fairly frugal when it comes to food shopping but my one indulgence is an organic veg box delivery. Between that (which is much, much longer-lived - and tastier - than supermarket produce) and frozen veg, that covers most of what we need. I'm aware it's a middle-class indulgence, but it doesn't actually work out that much more expensive than buying what's available in the shops, especially when supply and pricing are increasingly patchy.

I also need to check myself, because there are times when I find myself thinking that limits on supermarket purchases aren't a bad thing per se - I've seen first-hand how selfishly people acted during the pandemic, for example, and I don't blame big chains for wanting to stop themselves from being exploited by piss-takers. It's also important to note that this isn't a new thing - Asda have introduced temporary limits on things like value-brand pasta in the recent past, all depending on demand.

But obviously that doesn't change the fact that we are - quite obviously :lol: - suffering more than most as a result of Brexit. Unfortunately, persuading people of this was always going to be a long game, so we have to keep drip-feeding stuff like this until it finally filters through. We're talking years or decades rather than months, regrettably...

But with your latter sentence how do you deal with the boiled frog phenomenum? People don't seem to realise what is happening and we are still perpetually gaslit by the MSM. For instance I know of people who live in Spain and they say the winter has been entirely normal there this year. But the BBC has toed the line for days now shortages are because of the weather, showing library photos of a snowy Morocco. People just get used to it and accept what they are told. And then there are some rightwingers who think they have their "gotcha" moment because the RoI also has shortages. But nobody in the MSM will point out that Brexit also fucked up Ireland's supply chains.

I mean, it was CT who I quoted yesterday (from years back) who laughed about the possibility that Brexit could ever be the cause of food shortages, specifically tomatoes. And when this happens, it s the weather innit. Or covid, Or Ukraine, whatever else, but not the precious Brexit even when YOU WERE WARNED THIS WOULD HAPPEN. 

I mean we know in 7 or 8 years time the average Poish person will be better off the average Brit. I find this staggering, but then the average Brit doesn't often take trips to Poland to find this out. Ignorance is bliss. We're truly screwed by out politics and media in this country. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's what they voted for. freedom of movement is a two way street

The proportion of Brits in that queue in Oslo who voted for Brexit will be quite low imo. Maliga or Alicante airport might be a different matter. And of those who voted Brexit, probably most now realise they were conned. I hope Europeans appreciate this and refrain from gloating. Brexit was bad for all of us. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Renton said:

The proportion of Brits in that queue in Oslo who voted for Brexit will be quite low imo. Maliga or Alicante airport might be a different matter. And of those who voted Brexit, probably most now realise they were conned. I hope Europeans appreciate this and refrain from gloating. Brexit was bad for all of us. 

I was talking about the dipshits who voted for it

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I was talking about the dipshits who voted for it

I know. Just pointing out that in that the only reason I can think of to travel to Oslo is a business trip or a very middle class type holiday for Tarquin to see the Northern Lights. They'll have known FoM works both ways. Most brexiters won't be affected by passport control much.