Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

I see Hammond and Davis are crawling to them Europeans over financial services. Apparently no deal in that area could be catastrophic. Sounds a lot like Project Fear talk to me.

take the city out of the UK economy and there's not much left 

I think manufacturing still dwarves financial services despite what you hear (or it did last i checked, but it's been a few years now). The City is important but it's not actually responsible for carrying the economy as much as it's given credit for.

34 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think manufacturing still dwarves financial services despite what you hear (or it did last i checked, but it's been a few years now). The City is important but it's not actually responsible for carrying the economy as much as it's given credit for.

Financial services are still and incredibly important part of our economy and the government's tax revenue. 80% of our economy is made up by the service sector. FS is only part of a much wider picture.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

the london economy is built on finserv and the services industry that supports it. it's not just the money earned by the bankers, but how that trickles down into the rest of the economy - their expensive homes, their cleaners, nannies, restaurants and shops where they spend their millions. no matter what you think of the banking indistry, if we were to lose these people as global financial institutions relocate to frankfurt, paris, or brussels, the consequences will be huge. 

and if you take london out of the uk economy, there's not much left behind is there? 

What's it meant to demonstrate? English sparkling wine is actually a very good product but it's only produced in small numbers in places like Hampshire and Kent and, for that reason alone, it's never going to compete with Champagne (obviously there are other factors at play as to why it's not going to compete). It's also expensive to produce so it's never going to compete with cheap fizz like Prosecco, Cava or stuff from the New World. Beer, cider or whisky would make more sense but, then again, none of this makes sense.