Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Howay man, that figure got discredited straight away.

Far worse was the chancellor of the exchequer telling millions of pensioners they might lose pension money, workers their income tax would go up and there would be cuts to police and NHS???

You've been singing the cunt's praises for the last 6 years. Suddenly he's persona non grata with you?

Osborne has definitely shown that his ability to lead is non existent after his disappearing act of the last few days. The fucking Chancellor of the Exchequer nowhere to be seen following Brexit. We've heard from Carney, where the hell is Osborne? Why is more not being made of the fact that the second most important figure in the Tory government has gone awol at a time of crisis?!

From the guardians comments section:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

:lol:

Whoever wrote that doesn't quite understand imo.

The point of delaying article 50 buys time.

Time to get a new leader in place.

Time to get the right negotiating team in place.

Time to have "informal" discussions with individual EU members to gain their support for the type of deal we want.

Once article 50 starts, the individual countries pass the negotiation over to the EU commission to deal with on their behalf. Much better to have influenced our "friends" (yes, term used loosely), who can then influence the commission.

As I've already said, it also gives a bit of time for heads to cool.

:lol:

Whoever wrote that doesn't quite understand imo.

The point of delaying article 50 buys time.

Time to get a new leader in place.

Time to get the right negotiating team in place.

Time to have "informal" discussions with individual EU members to gain their support for the type of deal we want.

Once article 50 starts, the individual countries pass the negotiation over to the EU commission to deal with on their behalf. Much better to have influenced our "friends" (yes, term used loosely), who can then influence the commission.

As I've already said, it also gives a bit of time for heads to cool.

Time for businesses to take a worst case scenario approach and for the markets to be volatile as fuck.

He's right, they should. It would be in the best interests of the country.

Hell would be on, of course. The skinheads would be out in force, for one thing. Don't you see what this has unleashed CT?

It doesn't look like there's many there but I guess they feel the climate now is finally right for them to crawl out from whatever rock they were hiding under with this shite. Disgusting

He's right, they should. It would be in the best interests of the country.

Hell would be on, of course. The skinheads would be out in force, for one thing. Don't you see what this has unleashed CT?

I do, next we'll be asking to re-take our penalty's at Euro 16 when we go out.

While they're at it, why don't the Labour MP's just ignore the grass roots and appoint whoever they fancy as leader?

It doesn't look like there's many there but I guess they feel the climate now is finally right for them to crawl out from whatever rock they were hiding under with this shite. Disgusting

I get the impression the result seems to have given people leave to think it's now okay to be "honest" about how they feel. A lot of the interviewed have been fine saying "too many immigrants" without the usual "I'm not racist but" qualifier.

Of course I think you can feel that way without being racist but there's still a strong correlation.

Of course they do, this is what Brexit was about for most of them.

Edited by Rayvin

While they're at it, why don't the Labour MP's just ignore the grass roots and appoint whoever they fancy as leader?

Rules.

Rules as laws define the referendum as advisory.

Well they appear to be on the brink of doing that latter one so who the fuck knows.

The EDL have been around for ages and demonstrate all over uk towns, usually in their hundreds.

CT, given that Leave has rolled back on immigration, spending money on hospitals, and freedom of movement, and that we'll have to pay 90% of what we were paying anyway to exist in the single market (but without any say in the rules which technically makes us less sovereign), do you still think that you made the right choice? Also, as a backdrop, the two main political parties are in absolute turmoil, the guy coming in as Prime Minister looks terrified, and we have open racism on the streets?

EDIt - added to this, given the false promises from leave, and what people voted for, do you think the majority would still have voted Leave had they been told the truth? If so, what would these people have been voting for, exactly?

Edited by Rayvin

Of course they do, this is what Brexit was about for most of them.

Bit of ignorance from you and gloom. EDL are anti Islam racists, its us brexiters that hate all darkies.

The English Defence League (EDL) is a far-right street protest movement which focuses on opposition to what it considers to be a spread of Islamism and Sharia in the United Kingdom. The EDL has been described as Islamophobic. The group has faced confrontations with various groups, including Unite Against Fascism (UAF).

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_5746c021e4b03e9b9ed5466a?edition=uk

Edited by Christmas Tree

This David Lammy labour MP is rightly getting lots of shit on Twitter for his insistence that parliament should ignore the referendum.

http://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/746728892279431168

I personally feel the problem is that there is no mandate to what leave actually means, and no one wants to take up the mantle. Honestly, I now feel were not going to leave the EEA. Which is crazy, because that won't

solve "IMMIGRANTS". It'd be much better to have a second referendum and grovel.

Btw, is it still business as usual? Is Dave still the best PM of your lifetime?

Can't see the Scots letting it happen, they have a clear mandate from their citizens to do what they can to stay in.

Though surely the UK parliament can amend that act.

I personally feel the problem is that there is no mandate to what leave actually means, and no one wants to take up the mantle. Honestly, I now feel were not going to leave the EEA. Which is crazy, because that won't

solve "IMMIGRANTS". It'd be much better to have a second referendum and grovel.

Btw, is it still business as usual? Is Dave still the best PM of your lifetime?

That is now abundantly clear. This is a huge fuck up, no one is going to get what they want, and the UK is going to be sold down the river because the Tories are fucking bellends who are so afraid of losing power that they're prepared to annihilate the country.

Edited by Rayvin

Can't see the Scots letting it happen, they have a clear mandate from their citizens to do what they can to stay in.

Though surely the UK parliament can amend that act.

Why would they if most of them want to Remain?