Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I'd be surprised if Japanese companies shifting production back to Japan is limited to Britain though. 

Why? Japanese companies in the EU will still benefit from free and friction free trading. How much does it cost to insure and ship a car from Kobe? How long does it take, will it not add 6 weeks to a bespoke car? How much are japanese workers salaries? More than ours I bet. 

We were always going to be vulnerable here as none of our car companies are domestically owned. There is no reason for them to be here after we Brexit. 

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

We are still in the SM though, why wouldn't they wait for the outcome of Brexit before making a decision if that were truly the catalyst for this? The telling indicator is that they're shifting production back to Japan, leaving them with no eu presence at all if I'm not mistaken

They dont have an EU presence to shut down. No, they're not building new factories in the EU, as that would be a massive capital cost not now worth it with the FTA. Nissan however is part owned by Renault is it not? It will not exist here in 10 years imo. 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Why? Japanese companies in the EU will still benefit from free and friction free trading. How much does it cost to insure and ship a car from Kobe? How long does it take, will it not add 6 weeks to a bespoke car? How much are japanese workers salaries? More than ours I bet. 

We were always going to be vulnerable here as none of our car companies are domestically owned. There is no reason for them to be here after we Brexit. 

So why are they shifting production back to Japan instead of someone in eastern Europe? I imagine most of their suppliers are domestic and the logistics of shipping separate components overseas for assembly as well as shipping completed cars from the UK will be more expensive and less complex than just shipping their cars from Japan. It's certainly a more likely explanation than that they've done it because the UK might or might not be in the SM in a few weeks time

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

So why are they shifting production back to Japan instead of someone in eastern Europe? I imagine most of their suppliers are domestic and the logistics of shipping separate components overseas for assembly as well as shipping completed cars from the UK will be more expensive and less complex than just shipping their cars from Japan. It's certainly a more likely explanation than that they've done it because the UK might or might not be in the SM in a few weeks time

Because they already have the factories and supply chains set up in Japan, but not eastern Europe? I agree the FTA will be a disincentive for investment, but to think Brexit is not a massive factor is naive at best imo. Swindon like sunderland voted leave. These people are cerifiable. 

Just now, Renton said:

Because they already have the factories and supply chains set up in Japan, but not eastern Europe? I agree the FTA will be a disincentive for investment, but to think Brexit is not a massive factor is naive at best imo. Swindon like sunderland voted leave. These people are cerifiable. 

I'm of the opinion that brexit won't happen so find it hard to believe that a business would factor it into this kind of decision. It's not like they're immediately ceasing production, so they could have quite easily kept their powder dry for a few months. How many big European companies are producing in Japan to avoid tariffs that will no longer exist? I don't know but if other companies follow suit then the eu may have dropped a bollock here. 

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

Stand by for Toyota in Derby. Derbyshire 59% leave :good:

40 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

We are still in the SM though, why wouldn't they wait for the outcome of Brexit before making a decision if that were truly the catalyst for this? The telling indicator is that they're shifting production back to Japan, leaving them with no eu presence at all if I'm not mistaken

This decision wasn’t made yesterday. It was likely made six months ago. They don’t announce these decisions until they really have do i.e. when they need to begin investing in their new facilities as they don’t want to lose the staff they need to continue with their existing operations.

I'm fairly sure that the decision to close the Nissan plant in Sunderland has already been made but they’ll wait until they’re closer to the end of the production of the current mode before announcing it.

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Stand by for Toyota in Derby. Derbyshire 59% leave :good:

The same Toyota who recently announced a €300m investment in their factory in France? You can nearly guarantee it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I'm of the opinion that brexit won't happen so find it hard to believe that a business would factor it into this kind of decision. It's not like they're immediately ceasing production, so they could have quite easily kept their powder dry for a few months. How many big European companies are producing in Japan to avoid tariffs that will no longer exist? I don't know but if other companies follow suit then the eu may have dropped a bollock here. 

I doubt the EU have dropped a bollock. These FTAs work both ways, cars will be exported to japan, as well as plenty of agriculture. Not sure the EU 27 are as exposed to Japanese investment to the extent we are. Its looking shit for us though, which makes me wonder why the fuck we didnt veto it while we could. I guss the most we could do is delay it like. 

• Like 1

I've worked as a contractor at Honda Swindon. As with all new towns, it's full of the descendents of post war inner cities i.e. Bristol & London. Pig ignorant and possessing an unbelievable bullet proof self assurance and utterly false  sense of where they sit in society. They're basically the cider mackems. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

I've worked as a contractor at Honda Swindon. As with all new towns, it's full of the descendents of post war inner cities i.e. Bristol & London. Pig ignorant and possessing an unbelievable bullet proof self assurance and utterly false  sense of where they sit in society. They're basically the cider mackems

Sounds like some new terriying Dr Who monster. :D

• Haha 2

Clearly Brexit related so here. Sarah Woolaston, Anna soubry and Heidi Allen relinquishing the tory whip and joking the independent group its rumoured.

Has this thing got the legs to change parliament or will it fizzle out? 

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

Also, Labour are trying to force the by elections of the naughty 8? Are they trying to give the tories a bigger majority? Idiots. 

Yeah totally pointless move from Labour. They gain nothing from it really.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah totally pointless move from Labour. They gain nothing from it really.

And someone has dragged up a historical tweet where Corbyn states you vote for an individual MP, not a party or PM. Yet more hypocrisy from him. 

• Like 1

As far as I can tell they're all massively safe labour seats - they won't call them because they know they'd lose. 

Their plan is supposedly to fight Labour/ tory marginals next time out - that's 8 more tory seats then. 

8 minutes ago, NJS said:

As far as I can tell they're all massively safe labour seats - they won't call them because they know they'd lose. 

Their plan is supposedly to fight Labour/ tory marginals next time out - that's 8 more tory seats then. 

They're not all massively safe at all, and it wouldn't take that many to support the independent to tip the balance to a third party. 

Ffs man. Labour has reinstated Hatton. Any chance of ever winning the marginals they needed for a majority is now gone. 

Edited by Renton

Mr Corbyn says that different ministers are saying different things about leaving the EU without a deal.

"People's jobs and livelihoods are in the prime minister's hands," he states, and he asks for no-deal to be "absolutely ruled out".

"People's jobs and futures are in the hands of every member of this House," Mrs May replies.

She says that Mr Corbyn clearly wants to remain in the European Union.

:suicide:  :suicide:

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Looks like it's extend article 50 or no deal? 🤔

That's been the case for a while now but there is a worrying number of indications May will choose the latter.

I'm going to start buying plenty of pasta and rice, tins, sauces. I've got no storage space for fresh food or frozen food though.