Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

CT, I've said it a couple of times now, but this bright future you keep going on about seems to rest entirely on the shoulders of Labour. Who you and the other right wingers won't vote for. Indeed, many of us won't vote for them now either. So how exactly are they going to get back into power?

You have condemned us to the Tories, but a version of the Tories who are free to form 'their own legislation'. Capital punishment just around the corner I expect.

CT, I've said it a couple of times now, but this bright future you keep going on about seems to rest entirely on the shoulders of Labour. Who you and the other right wingers won't vote for. Indeed, many of us won't vote for them now either. So how exactly are they going to get back into power?

You have condemned us to the Tories, but a version of the Tories who are free to form 'their own legislation'. Capital punishment just around the corner I expect.

Obviously I agree with none of that.

The FTSE 100 equity index is off 0.7 per cent, though underpinned somewhat by the support given to dollar earners by the stumbling pound. The more domestically focused FTSE 250, which shed 7.2 per cent on Friday, is down 1.5 per cent and in line to close at a four month trough.

As I pointed out the other day, CT, in a post that seemed completely lost on you, it's the FTSE 250 rather than the FTSE 100 which is the bellwether for the UK economy. And it's down almost 10 percent since the Brexit result came in, as is our currency.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Perhaps, but reading stuff like Phil Wilson in the guardian today shows that the establishment labor party just doesn't get that the status quo will not make them electable.

He complains Corbyn 'did not visit the Labour heartlands of the north-east and instead raised esoteric issues such as TTIP which had no resonance on the doorstep."

Perhaps because TTIP is one of the major issues of the day which should be a major fear on every doorstep. It only worsens the corporate takeover and is shamefully ignored by most media... And it seems MP's are happy to see it walked through at the cost of the poorer people as long as they project an electable image friendly to business that would punish the market otherwise.

Corbyn has faults and has shown a damaging mix of weakness and stubbornness, but I still align closer with him than any of these vermin.

As stupid as it sounds, the referendum was no a time to try and educate people on such issues. Immigration, the economy and the NHS was all they wanted to hear. No point in wasting time selling the general electorate something that they have no interest in buying, you leave that until after the vote.

Take this campaign, ITV this morning saying that he was offered 6 interviews to come on the show and promote "remain", but he knocked 5 of them back.

Which should enamour him to the majority that voted leave as well of us who view remain as nothing better than the lesser of two evils.

What's going on in the This Morning production office that means they want a boring cunt like corbyn on to talk about anything more than once?

It's nothing whatsoever to do with his remain campaigning. I saw no more of Benn on the trail. Corbyn has rejected media interviews from day 1 of his leadership.

The political court cannot be seen to be embarrassed by a man who doesn't play the political game. For them it's about personal profile, self publicity, links with business and assuring a big pay day after serving their time.

Corbyn has spent decades ignoring all of that.

As stupid as it sounds, the referendum was no a time to try and educate people on such issues. Immigration, the economy and the NHS was all they wanted to hear. No point in wasting time selling the general electorate something that they have no interest in buying, you leave that until after the vote.

This is a good point, and I suspect true.

That said, there was nothing anyone could have said that the working classes would have believed, having been lied to for so many years by parties of all colours. I don't know what anyone could have said to avert this, except 'lets not have a referendum'.

What should Corbyn have said, in your view?

Edited by Rayvin

Which should enamour him to the majority that voted leave as well of us who view remain as nothing better than the lesser of two evils.

What's going on in the This Morning production office that means they want a boring cunt like corbyn on to talk about anything more than once?

It's nothing whatsoever to do with his remain campaigning. I saw no more of Benn on the trail. Corbyn has rejected media interviews from day 1 of his leadership.

The political court cannot be seen to be embarrassed by a man who doesn't play the political game. For them it's about personal profile, self publicity, links with business and assuring a big pay day after serving their time.

I agree with this post as well.

But the party is now tearing itself apart, which makes his position shaky at best.

At least 2 out of those 3 are worsened by TTIP though

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-is-ttip-and-six-reasons-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html

I can see why he's uncomfortable arguing that remain will be good for those things rather than the truth of "it's complicated".

The FTSE 100 equity index is off 0.7 per cent, though underpinned somewhat by the support given to dollar earners by the stumbling pound. The more domestically focused FTSE 250, which shed 7.2 per cent on Friday, is down 1.5 per cent and in line to close at a four month trough.

As I pointed out the other day, CT, in a post that seemed completely lost on you, it's the FTSE 250 rather than the FTSE 100 which is the bellwether for the UK economy. And it's down almost 10 percent since the Brexit result came in, as is our currency.

:lol:

What's lost on you is that these things go up and down.

The FTSE 250 is currently 500 points higher today than it was in February.

The FTSE 100 is higher than it was 2 weeks ago.

The pound is around where it was in March.

The promised punishment budget within a fortnight has been cancelled.

Try a little perspective.

But he wasn't leader then. Now he has to lead and reach as many Labour, UKIP and conservative voters as possible.

You don't do that preaching at town hall comfy meetings.

Brexit is Only the Latest Proof of the Insularity and Failure of Western Establishment Institutions

Glenn Greenwald

June 25 2016, 4:48 p.m.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/25/brexit-is-only-the-latest-proof-of-the-insularity-and-failure-of-western-establishment-institutions/

That's a great read. I also think that Phillip Pullman piece Gloom posted earlier pretty much nailed it.

:lol:

What's lost on you is that these things go up and down.

The FTSE 250 is currently 500 points higher today than it was in February.

The FTSE 100 is higher than it was 2 weeks ago.

The pound is around where it was in March.

The promised punishment budget within a fortnight has been cancelled.

Try a little perspective.

financial markets react to a country's economic outlook and the FTSE 250 lost 10 per cent in two day's trading. read into that what you will.

sterling tends to be traded at above the $1.40 level, which is the de facto floor for the pound, and one it has rarely traded under for an extended period since the mid 80s. picking up from the friday's tanking, it's currently at $1.34.

I think it was Eddie Izzard's pink fucking beret that won it for leave mind you. I almost went with leave rather than align myself with that cunt.

He definitely didn't help like. Probably mobilised more leavers than everyone else put together.

Very interesting turn of events.

End result;

Many of those who voted leave did so with the hope of an empire again. Out of touch poms, like those disenfranchised in Russia, hoping for the return of the CCCP. :lol:

The leaving of the UK means little for the EU. Germany and France are laughing.

Scotland aren't happy are they? They trust the EU over what is now little England.

The people have spoken...

Still pissed off about the Ashes tbh

and clearly osborne is trying to calm markets by withdrawing his emergency budget. he also accepts he doesn't have a mandate to change tax and public expenditure policy immediately. but although he tries to paint an optimistic picture - what else can he do in the circumstances? - he didn't deny what's coming. he refused to say that the UK would avoid a recession, lost jobs and a hit to the public finances.

what he calls “a period of adjustment” is coded language for shitstorm.

British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down. As the German equivalent of the CBI – the BDI – has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market. Britain is and always will be a great European power, offering top-table opinions and giving leadership on everything from foreign policy to defence to counter-terrorism and intelligence-sharing – all the things we need to do together to make our world safer.

No change. We've voted out of Europe for nothing more than 'avoiding legislation'. That's what he's saying. Freedom of movement will remain, abiding by EU single market conditions will remain, the money spent will remain. Immigration, will remain.

I actually find this reassuring. We look like utter fuckwits, but at least basically nothing is going to change, apparently. Hopefully the EU sees it this way as well.

And we won't even be able avoid any legislation that deals with trading with the EU.

What should Corbyn have said, in your view?

Jobs, jobs and jobs. The economy is a far off concept to a lot of average working voters but if you can frame the discussion around their jobs, not the economy and the banks then if becomes much more personal.