Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Another vote of confidence then. The timing is bizarre but then maybe May forced their hand with the second referendum talk. You would think it would have been better to wait until after the elections and blame the poor showing on her, but apparently not.

Why are they so set against another referendum though. Surely it stops all this squabbling and provides the government with a clear mandate on how to proceed?

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Why are they so set against another referendum though. Surely it stops all this squabbling and provides the government with a clear mandate on how to proceed?

They want Brexit at any cost now. It's psychosis. Actually that's not true, they want the most damaging form of Brexit at any cost. The psychosis part is true. 

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

They want Brexit at any cost now. It's psychosis. Actually that's not true, they want the most damaging form of Brexit at any cost. The psychosis part is true. 

I understand the likes of CT going Brexit mad but before the referendum on 139 Tories were in favour of Brexit. This issue has torn their party apart. The smart thing would be to put it to bed ASAP.

My own mother is a raving Brexiteer. Wants to leave with no deal in October and tells me I need to "believe in Britain more". Embarrassing. I mean she can just about work the Sky box and yet she is adamant that she's got this exactly right.

• Haha 1

Mogg begging for votes for "no threat to the single market" Hannan. If the replies are replicated across the country then it would appear Davey Cameron's big idea for ending 50 years of back bench warfare has finally ruined them :lol:

I think Ed could have been fine if he'd had a stronger line on austerity. Austerity is the source of Brexit, I have no doubt about that personally.

Edited by Rayvin

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think Ed could have been fine if he'd had a stronger line on austerity. Austerity is the source of Brexit, I have no doubt about that personally.

He fucked up the leader voting system, and opened up the party to momentum. And lest we forget, couldn't eat a bacon sarnie properly. 

I genuinely don't think momentum is a bad thing while it's a grassroots movement of Labour voters. The problem with it is that it's now complicit in ignoring the actual will of the membership. There's no problem with having 600,000 members if 90% of them are sensible enough to back remaining in the EU. There is a problem when they're all being ignored.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I genuinely don't think momentum is a bad thing while it's a grassroots movement of Labour voters. The problem with it is that it's now complicit in ignoring the actual will of the membership. There's no problem with having 600,000 members if 90% of them are sensible enough to back remaining in the EU. There is a problem when they're all being ignored.

You can't separate one from the other though. Momentum have acted like they are a teenage fan club to Corbyn. "Love Corbyn, hate Brexit" or whatever contradictory bollocks they put on their T shirts. Idiots. They've enabled Corbyn and therefore Brexit. I think we more or less agree on this anyway. Gemmil's frustration is shared by many. There was an opportunity here to destroy the Conservatives forever, and we blew it. 

I still love the idea that if Corbyn had been full on remain, parliamentary numbers would have allowed him to not "enable brexit". 

There has never been nor ever will be a majority for a revocation, soft Brexit, second ref or any other "unicorn" ideas you come up with. But keep saying it's his fault. 

13 minutes ago, NJS said:

I still love the idea that if Corbyn had been full on remain, parliamentary numbers would have allowed him to not "enable brexit". 

There has never been nor ever will be a majority for a revocation, soft Brexit, second ref or any other "unicorn" ideas you come up with. But keep saying it's his fault. 

I think if he had been full on Remain, we wouldn't now be seeing Labour splitting the Remain vote - we'd be increasing the political legitimacy of a second referendum.

My issue isn't so much that I think he could have changed very much (although I do accept Gemmill/Renton's point that Labour would be in a much better position to punish the Tories if they had made a stand, rather than implicating themselves in the inadequacy), but that he is now deliberately ignoring the will of his members.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJS said:

If Corbyn had been full on remain, there is every chance Remain would have won the referendum. If someone else was leader of the Labour Party, there is every chance the Conservatives would have been obliterated by now. If David Miliband had been leader of the Labour Party in 2015, it is highly unlikely Cameron would have won outright to deliver his referendum. Etc. Corbyn has been a disaster, you appear to be the only one left not to acknowledge this.