Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I remember the day after the vote when people at work were asking me how the North could.vote leave when it was obvious it would fuck the economy - I replied that you can't frighten people who are generally fucked with more hardship. 

Polls since suggest a shit load of leave voters didn't and don't care about economic effects as long as the infamous control is regained.

Sunderland /Nissan is going to be the ultimate comeuppance of that view. 

All electric Nissan Leaf plant opened in 2017. The future of the car industry purpose built for them on their doorsteps :jesuswept:

I don't think anything would've stopped them from voting leave mind. I hate generalising about groups of people from anywhere but of you worked at nissan and voted leave you're likely to give pigshit a bad name 

Think I posted it at the time but there was a guardian vid of some mackems saying they wanted "proper jobs" like mining and shipbuilding rather than the shit at Nissan - absolutely blind to the world.

It was a shame that Thatcher put real effort into getting Nissan there but left the rest of industrial areas to rot - I mean that in the sense there should have been multiple "Nissans".

Just now, NJS said:

Think I posted it at the time but there was a guardian vid of some mackems saying they wanted "proper jobs" like mining and shipbuilding rather than the shit at Nissan - absolutely blind to the world.

It was a shame that Thatcher put real effort into getting Nissan there but left the rest of industrial areas to rot - I mean that in the sense there should have been multiple "Nissans".

In what sense is working at Nissan not a proper job?

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

In what sense is working at Nissan not a proper job?

I'd guess that simple assembly line work isn;t as skilled as being a welder in a shipyard or a leccy down the pit but fuck knows what they meant really.

I'd add that my mate who was going to be a deputy at Westoe before the strike started moved to Nissan Yamoto post redundancy and is now an engineering supervisor which suggests of course there are "proper jobs" for those who want them.

19 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Life was better when you had to get up at the crack of dawn for a 12 hour shift down pit for tuppence.

Luxury! Etc.. .

Johnson and Varadkar close to a deal apparently. Arlene will no doubt self combust. Interesting to see how they will try and square the circle, again...

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Life was better when you had to get up at the crack of dawn for a 12 hour shift down pit for tuppence.

I've never worked down a pit but I have been into Nissan and know a couple of lads who've worked there and I can only say I had a close shave I didn't end up there myself. Fuck. That.

Aye, as has been the case all the way through this nightmare, the numbers for whatever Johnson thinks he's agreed won't add up. I wouldn't be surprised if he's currently getting a bollocking for making concessions that he shouldn't have made, and by this time tomorrow we'll find that whatever progress Varadkar thinks was made will have been reversed. 

So say he astounds everyone and gets a deal through Parliament. Where does that leave GB? You’ll be outside the CU and SM with most likely an agreement providing zero tariffs on certain goods but not all. It’s basically a slightly less shit version of no deal but with more time to prepare. It’s still going to be absolute shit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye, as has been the case all the way through this nightmare, the numbers for whatever Johnson thinks he's agreed won't add up. I wouldn't be surprised if he's currently getting a bollocking for making concessions that he shouldn't have made, and by this time tomorrow we'll find that whatever progress Varadkar thinks was made will have been reversed. 

He just says what he thinks will please whomever he is talking to at that moment in time. Popularism. Doomed to failure in the long term. 

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So say he astounds everyone and gets a deal through Parliament. Where does that leave GB? You’ll be outside the CU and SM with most likely an agreement providing zero tariffs on certain goods but not all. It’s basically a slightly less shit version of no deal but with more time to prepare. It’s still going to be absolute shit.

An FTA is almost as bad as no deal. All the models showed this. We need to be in the EEA not to take a huge economic hit. Madness.