Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a great article, worth giving 10 minutes of your time for a read. It's Dutch but typically very well written in English.

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2019/03/14/perhaps-theyd-better-go-a3953265

Summary:

Brexit is the formalization of the British position as an outsider. Many in Brussels are quietly concluding that it is probably better if the UK leaves now.

I feel sad because it's right imo. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

This is a great article, worth giving 10 minutes of your time for a read. It's Dutch but typically very well written in English.

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2019/03/14/perhaps-theyd-better-go-a3953265

Summary:

Brexit is the formalization of the British position as an outsider. Many in Brussels are quietly concluding that it is probably better if the UK leaves now.

I feel sad because it's right imo. 

It's funny how "naturally" british people (maybe just the English) refer to Europe as a place "over there" rather than "here" - I always try an add a "continental" when I refer to it but it's still a common attitude.

So it looks like the plan is to get the DUP onside then a number of ERG will follow. Even JRM is wavering.

I still don’t think she’ll have the numbers. Though the longer this goes on even I’m thinking that May’s deal locks us into a soft Brexit and mightn’t be the worst thing in the world.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

So it looks like the plan is to get the DUP onside then a number of ERG will follow. Even JRM is wavering.

I still don’t think she’ll have the numbers. Though the longer this goes on even I’m thinking that May’s deal locks us into a soft Brexit and mightn’t be the worst thing in the world.

I think the direction of travel is anything but a soft Brexit for Britain under May's deal and the tories in power. I just wish I had an Irish passport tbh. 

How though? The U.K. are tied to the EU’s customs schedule with no ability to do our own deals. The only option in that situation surely is a close relationship with the EU?

24 minutes ago, ewerk said:

How though? The U.K. are tied to the EU’s customs schedule with no ability to do our own deals. The only option in that situation surely is a close relationship with the EU?

But once the DUP are jettisoned, there will be a wet border in the Irish Sea. We will be out the SM, CU, and FOM will stop, including mine. It's fucking shit. 

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So the only option May has to get her deal through is to get changes from Europe (not gonna happen) or propose a referendum for her deal.

Think so. This is going well. And yes, Bercow has cajones, he will be hate figure number one amongst the gammons. He is correctly following procedure though, so fuck them. 

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

But what does it say about any future amendment on a people’s vote? Has Wollaston blown the one and only chance for that? 

I don't know, JRM and the ERG appear to be very happy...... :unsure:

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

But what does it say about any future amendment on a people’s vote? Has Wollaston blown the one and only chance for that? 

I am no legal expert regarding your strange legal and parliamentary proceedings, but as I see it a lot of options will be on the table again if an extension to article 50 gets rejected or depending on the terms of an extension, not to mention a possible revocation of it...

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Thinking out loud, could a meaningful ammendment be attached to the MV3 to make it meaningful again? Such as it needs to be ratified with a PV? 

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Thinking out loud, could a meaningful ammendment be attached to the MV3 to make it meaningful again? Such as it needs to be ratified with a PV? 

Yes, it would very much change the substance of the bill so would be allowable.

9 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I am no legal expert regarding your strange legal and parliamentary proceedings, but as I see it a lot of options will be on the table again if an extension to article 50 gets rejected or depending on the terms of an extension, not to mention a possible revocation of it...

Well I’m not clear on whether the speaker’s ruling applies just to government motions or whether it also applies to amendments to subsequent motions.

Things may become clearer if MPs get indicative votes on the options this week.

A change in context (extension to A50) would surely allow a second referendum to be put to the vote again. Arguably the removal of MV3 as an option has provided the context change already. 

Has anyone honestly got a clue what’s going to happen next? I’ve always felt a slit your own wrists Brexit wouldn’t be allowed to happen, but our political class might just be incompetent enough to see it trickle over the line 

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Has anyone honestly got a clue what’s going to happen next? I’ve always felt a slit your own wrists Brexit wouldn’t be allowed to happen, but our political class might just be incompetent enough to see it trickle over the line 

Honestly, it's all down to Gemmil's favourite bitch, May. Tbf she's between a rock and a hard place, but it was always going to come down to this and its all her fault. 

Edited by Renton