Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have said a few times that the fucking deal looked like it might be pulled together. I mean he still needs the Tory rebels to make it work but I daresay he'll get them. Plus the Labour ones.

I think we could be genuinely done now. And what's worst about it is that this is literally the only scenario where the Tories come out as winners. They will survive this and could ride the wave into the next 5 years.

What an absolutely tragic period for the country. It's politically unforgiveable. Still thinking I won't even vote after this, I mean what's the fucking point. Johnson's about to take us to the cleaners.

I found this useful...seeing as ewerk couldn’t be arsed to explain it himself his cousin here has been kind enough to explain it for the hard of comprehending. When is Stormont getting the band back together? Or will things just default to the revised backstop until Arlene has finished counting all the billions? :unsure:

Looking at what has been agreed so far it looks complicated but both sides have genuinely compromised as much as they could have. 

If Johnson thinks that the DUP will blink now then I fear he may be mistaken. The truth is that the best possible deal for Arlene et al. would have been a soft EFTA style Brexit but yet it isn't something that they ever pushed for. I think they'll be regretting that now.

So assuming that Johnson can't get a parliamentary majority for this I reckon he has two options. He can pocket the deal and push for a GE in the hope that he'll get a majority for it in the next parliament. Or he can accept demands to attach a second referendum to the deal in the hope that it will get enough support from the excommunicated Tories and Labour rebels to get through. The Labour Party most likely won't vote for it as they'll claim that it isn't a 'credible leave option' but it may just get enough Labour MPs in Leave seats to back it to get it over the line.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Looking at what has been agreed so far it looks complicated but both sides have genuinely compromised as much as they could have. 

If Johnson thinks that the DUP will blink now then I fear he may be mistaken. The truth is that the best possible deal for Arlene et al. would have been a soft EFTA style Brexit but yet it isn't something that they ever pushed for. I think they'll be regretting that now.

So assuming that Johnson can't get a parliamentary majority for this I reckon he has two options. He can pocket the deal and push for a GE in the hope that he'll get a majority for it in the next parliament. Or he can accept demands to attach a second referendum to the deal in the hope that it will get enough support from the excommunicated Tories and Labour rebels to get through. The Labour Party most likely won't vote for it as they'll claim that it isn't a 'credible leave option' but it may just get enough Labour MPs in Leave seats to back it to get it over the line.

No way would he go for the latter option imo, but can it be forced on him? Seems the best way out of this. Surely Labour would support it? 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

No way would he go for the latter option imo, but can it be forced on him? Seems the best way out of this. Surely Labour would support it? 

The former option isn't much more palatable. If he goes to the polls now he definitely loses precious votes to the Brexit Party.

I'm not sure that the Labour front bench will back a referendum on his deal. Corbyn, Milne and the groupies are set on an election before a referendum and will be worried about what going full remain would do to their prospects in the subsequent general election.

But it's hard to predict anything with much certainty these days.