Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's just walking away and saying it's not my problem any more. Understandable from his point of view but I don't see it as something he's doing for the greater good.

There's no doubt he'll want the whole thing to go to shit so he can say he was right all along.

There's no reason why you can't have another referendum, you could conceivably argue that the electorate are more educated now than they were before the last vote.

How about a plebiscite on whether or not there should be another referendum? I know what you're saying but it would be completely ridiculed I think.

It's happened in other EU countries hasn't it? Keep going until you get the right result. We would likely need something from Europe though to have legitimate reasons for a re-run and I'm not convinced that they'll be forthcoming with much.

I imagine a lot of the OUT voters feel like they were furnished with lies and misinterpretation so a second referendum should be called. This has happened in other countries.

I'm not sure why we had all of this circus anyway . The pros and cons should just have been laid out by the Government (independently checked of course) and then the public could have had a more educated guess. This whole thing has split parties and in Labours case could well have completely broken it. It all seems to boil down to the Brexit politicians doing this for their own personal aspirations.

It's pretty clear what's going to happen if you listen to interviews from both sides. They are all saying that while the public voted for out, they didn't decide what sort of out they wanted.

You have Farage desperate for article 50 to be triggered and Hunt never actually wanting to trigger it.

It's either going to be outside the EU, free trade and free movement (with a deal tagged on, possibly like the one Cameron).

Or if things get really bad, really quick, an election campaign with 3 parties saying they can't foresee a deal and if the public want out they need to elect UKIP.

Farage is a peripheral figure at best in terms of any deal with the EU. Him and his supporters won't like that but, unless there's a snap GE where they pick up loads of seats, it's true. I think UKIP's biggest problem is that he's basically all they've got. Whenever they wheel anyone else out they're a joke.

He'll love that of course. He's building himself a legacy as a 'liberator', in his mind. The Oliver Cromwell of our time is how he'll see himself.

I think the GE needs to come in a few months, when people are clear that leaving the EU has become ridiculous. Hopefully no one will push the button until then, which means we need the Tories to elect someone like Hunt, who won't do it.

I can't believe some of the posts I'm making in support of Tories now, but it really is that ridiculous a situation.

He'll love that of course. He's building himself a legacy as a 'liberator', in his mind. The Oliver Cromwell of our time is how he'll see himself.

I think the GE needs to come in a few months, when people are clear that leaving the EU has become ridiculous. Hopefully no one will push the button until then, which means we need the Tories to elect someone like Hunt, who won't do it.

I can't believe some of the posts I'm making in support of Tories now, but it really is that ridiculous a situation.

Osborne has made it clear this morning that he won't be backing Boris.

Farage is a peripheral figure at best in terms of any deal with the EU. Him and his supporters won't like that but, unless there's a snap GE where they pick up loads of seats, it's true. I think UKIP's biggest problem is that he's basically all they've got. Whenever they wheel anyone else out they're a joke.

Doesn't even Douglas Carswell not get on with him. You're right though, UKip don't have the party infrastructure for government and anyway I'd fucking hope they could never get a majority FTP whatever happened. That would signal the nation is absolutely fucked.

You mean the Jocks who had the common sense to vote remain, by a large majority, those Jocks are "begging" ??

I wouldn't class requesting support for something they voted for as "begging"

Pretty sure Nigel and Boris will be pleading never mind begging if this stupidity goes ahead and the hardball starts

Doesn't even Douglas Carswell not get on with him. You're right though, UKip don't have the party infrastructure for government and anyway I'd fucking hope they could never get a majority FTP whatever happened. That would signal the nation is absolutely fucked.

There was some interesting (at the time, now a bit scary) analysis done by a site called Electoral Calculus prior to the last general election. I can't remember the exact figures but it demonstrated that something like 25% of the popular vote would see them getting no MPs but something like 30% could secure a majority. This is based on their vote being spread pretty evenly as opposed to the traditional parties. The site's pretty good. They predicted a hung Parliament based on the polls for the last GE but when they used the data the BBC got from its exit polls, they were correct to within less than 5 seats iirc.

Good luck to them - hope they get what they want.

Who the SNP or the 51% who didn't believe the hype?

Turnout was down across the board in this vote, but it has to be pointed out that 400k more people voted to stay in the UK than to stay in the EU. If Sturgeon is preaching democracy she needs to learn to count first. For me, it doesn't look like she's got a mandate to defy a UK wide referendum but she's a very good politician/manipulator so I expect she's up for a bit of fisticuffs over this to say the least...

Who the SNP or the 51% who didn't believe the hype?

Turnout was down across the board in this vote, but it has to be pointed out that 400k more people voted to stay in the UK than to stay in the EU. If Sturgeon is preaching democracy she needs to learn to count first. For me, it doesn't look like she's got a mandate to defy a UK wide referendum but she's a very good politician/manipulator so I expect she's up for a bit of fisticuffs over this to say the least...

Nice bit of analysis. Wasn't aware of that. As you say, Sturgeon will take it for all it's worth though.

You mean the Jocks who had the common sense to vote remain, by a large majority, those Jocks are "begging" ??

I wouldn't class requesting support for something they voted for as "begging"

Pretty sure Nigel and Boris will be pleading never mind begging if this stupidity goes ahead and the hardball starts

[emoji38] Texas Pete rides back into town.