Jump to content

Europe?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Thanks, Brexiters.

Hey, we're not allowed to talk about the shitstorm that followed people voting for Brexit! It might make them sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 20.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • ewerk

    3446

  • Renton

    2676

  • Rayvin

    2323

  • Christmas Tree

    1912

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Club Tropicana (CT remix '18)   Let me take you to the place Where membership's Britain's disgrace Blue flag with lots of stars. Where strangers take you by the hand And welcome you

I remember a few people saying, some years ago when this was all kicking off, that maybe Brexit is what this country needs to finally move on from the Imperial past and embrace a global future. The fa

Posted Images

Brexit is great. See, it's got BT investing in Great British infrastructure. 

Quote

EE to introduce post-Brexit roaming charges for phone use in rest of Europe from January

EE will impose roaming charges on customers using their mobile phones in other European countries from next year, despite previously saying it had no plans to reintroduce them after Brexit, PA Media reports. PA says:

The move will affect new customers and those upgrading from 7 July, who face a £2 daily fee from January 2022 to use their data, minutes and text allowance when roaming in 47 European destinations.

The Republic of Ireland will be exempt.

BT-owned EE said the move is designed to “support investment into our UK-based customer service and leading UK network”.

Roaming charges when travelling across Europe ended in June 2017, allowing consumers to continue using their mobile plan in other EU nations at no additional cost, with a fair-use limit.

Although network providers could choose to bring back charges once the UK had left the EU, the main four - EE, O2, Three and Vodafone - said they had no plans to do so.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honestly starting to think that your average leaver wanted a Brexit wherein we could go over to Europe as if we were in the single market, but Europeans couldn't do the same with us.

 

The EU said clearly that it wouldn't compromise its political integrity for anyone. What does he expect the government to do about this situation? Our government is utterly powerless in the face of the EU presently - both because we're run by the most stupid collection of politicians I've ever seen, and because we need them so much more than they need us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson surprised that his vote helped shaft his industry 

 

 

 

Lucky for the EU they won't have to listen to that shit that somehow is classified as music.

 

It's amazing how many Brexiteers never understood the basics. Of course it's easier to tour the United States, that is one country. The EU is 27 countries requiring 27 times the paper work. What Leavers never seem to have understood is the FoM works both ways. And immigration issues with third countries is not an EU competency, it is up to each individual sovereign country. Hence the net effect of Brexit on us will be to kill off our services industry whilst increasing physical immigration from places like India.

 

Feel genuinely sorry for musicians affected who didn't vote for this shit show. I feel more concern for scientists who were pretty unanimously against it. We led the EU in R&D, but the decline since Brexit has been horrific. I know loads of talented Europeans who have gone back home.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's easy to say, but despite the obvious lies about staying in the SM/CU it was obviously the main driving force of the leave movement and voters was to end freedom of movement so not realising stuff like music touring was definitely going to be fucked needed an enhanced degree of blindness/stupidity. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm honestly starting to think that your average leaver wanted a Brexit wherein we could go over to Europe as if we were in the single market, but Europeans couldn't do the same with us.

 

The EU said clearly that it wouldn't compromise its political integrity for anyone. What does he expect the government to do about this situation? Our government is utterly powerless in the face of the EU presently - both because we're run by the most stupid collection of politicians I've ever seen, and because we need them so much more than they need us.

They were offered an exemption for music touring by the EU but turned it down. 

  • Jaysus... 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NJS said:

They were offered an exemption for music touring by the EU but turned it down. 

 

I mean of course :lol: Presumably because that would somehow make us look needy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NJS said:

They were offered an exemption for music touring by the EU but turned it down. 

 

They were but why the fuck should musicians be exempt? What about other service industries? Let's have some logical consistency here. I think the lack of mutual recognition of professional qualifications, especially in medicine, is going to cause huge problems in future. That'll impact the gammons in the form of a failing NHS, not that they will connect the dots. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I see. I mean it's just fucking tedious, all of this.

 

Anyone with half a brain could have negotiated a better Brexit than the one we got.

 

It goes back to your point though about there being no point in having a Norway solution, being in the SM with no political influence. Because only being in the SM can solve these issues (mutual recognition of standards and qualifications, and ultimately FoM), which means accepting the ECJ, which is a red line for the loons. The closer we align, the more restricted we are, and we won't accept that. I genuinely don't think people have got the magnitude of this, covid has been a blessing to the tories as it has covered up so much damage already done. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Renton said:

 

It goes back to your point though about there being no point in having a Norway solution, being in the SM with no political influence. Because only being in the SM can solve these issues (mutual recognition of standards and qualifications, and ultimately FoM), which means accepting the ECJ, which is a red line for the loons. The closer we align, the more restricted we are, and we won't accept that. I genuinely don't think people have got the magnitude of this, covid has been a blessing to the tories as it has covered up so much damage already done. 

 

True. I think the bitter pill to swallow in all of this, in the end, will be that 'Joe Public' will have to accept that educated subject matter experts do know more about the technical specifics of certain issues than he does, and that he would be wise to allow himself to be informed by their opinions.

 

But as you say, the magnitude of it is masked - hopefully in time it will be apparent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

 

True. I think the bitter pill to swallow in all of this, in the end, will be that 'Joe Public' will have to accept that educated subject matter experts do know more about the technical specifics of certain issues than he does, and that he would be wise to allow himself to be informed by their opinions.

 

But as you say, the magnitude of it is masked - hopefully in time it will be apparent.

 

It'll become massively apparent to the younger half of the population who will feel the full impact. The older more gammony boomers not so much, as they'll not be massively impacted and/or will never admit it anyway. The selfishness of these cunts still astounds me, they literally don't care about anyone else as long as they're not (directly) affected.

 

I wish I was younger or had played my hand differently over the last 20 years mind. Staying shackled to the NHS with ever decreasing pay and conditions was a mistake from a personal pov. I thought the tories would be temporary but was wrong. Lots of clinical staff are waking up to this reality too I think. Working in the private sector in just a few weeks I've been given possible opportunities to work in Switzerland (made harder by Brexit like), but I'm too settled here now to really consider it. I hope/think things will get better here, although it's made much more difficult by the tories scorched Earth policies (which is what a lot of this is really about).  We've lost at least a generation of time to the tories, its up to the young now to stop them. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I'm honestly starting to think that your average leaver wanted a Brexit wherein we could go over to Europe as if we were in the single market, but Europeans couldn't do the same with us.

Of course that's what they thought. They genuinely thought it would be nothing but sunlit uplands. They dramatically overestimated both our bargaining power and the negotiating skills of the feckless panderers 'leading' the charge. They bought the lies of Leave because they didn't give it sufficient thought, but still voted. Whereas the Remain campaign didn't do enough to lay out the cost and risks to the UK, nor inspire enough people to vote to dilute the reckless Leave vote.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Of course that's what they thought. They genuinely thought it would be nothing but sunlit uplands. They dramatically overestimated both our bargaining power and the negotiating skills of the feckless panderers 'leading' the charge. They bought the lies of Leave because they didn't give it sufficient thought, but still voted. Whereas the Remain campaign didn't do enough to lay out the cost and risks to the UK, nor inspire enough people to vote to dilute the reckless Leave vote.

 

Yep. I think we should have worked on attaching a sense of national identity/pride to being in the EU frankly, how we were leaders within it, shaping a destiny for all of Europe.

 

Or better yet, we could have not had the bloody referendum at a time when the government and 'elites' were pissing on the average man in the street with austerity.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s almost as if the Leave campaign was based on nothing but a bunch of jingoistic nonsense, blatant lies and anti-foreigner rhetoric. Full blown Boris in other words. Perfect for the gammons and windowlickers that voted for brexit….no actual thinking required to give johnny foreigner a black eye, ay what what!

 

“You can’t change the masses. They will always be the same: dumb, gluttonous and forgetful.” a media and PR expert once said.
 

This is the age of anti-reason, where what you choose to believe is far more important than facts or logic. People needed to feel the consequences  and what it would cost them personally.
 

Tell them they will lose their cheap wine, good beer, nice cars, cheap holidays, cheap food, millions of jobs, dope and hookers, free money, whatever, make it up like Boris and Nigel did. Flood social media with alarmist headlines, grab the news cycle and wheel out the celebs (rather than some dweeby patronising Tory Lord).
 

My impression watching from afar was that the Remain campaign was a half hearted shambles and totally clueless, with most Remain supporters not being arsed to vote. A shambles which, as pointed out above, has fucked young people royally because they will end up paying for the resulting mess in the future.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Renton said:

 

 

It's like David Frost has dementia, I mean really what the fuck does this have to do with anything?! 

He has a nerve mind.

Quote

Stars like Sir Elton John should help the government persuade European Union countries to relax their rules on letting British musicians tour, Brexit minister Lord Frost has said.

British acts are no longer guaranteed visa-free travel in the EU and face large fees to tour in some countries.

Many, including Sir Elton, have warned the restrictions could "threaten the future success of British music".

Lord Frost said the government would benefit from their assistance.

He said it would be "extremely helpful" if musicians and music industry bodies could "use their relationships" within the EU "to encourage those governments to be less restrictive".

"I said that to Elton John and I will say it to others," he told a committee of MPs on Tuesday. "We need that sort of help and support, and I'm convinced it would make a big difference to help improve the situation."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So we're going for soft power now. In fairness to them, music is one of the few areas where we probably have some of that. Not convinced it's going to make a big difference but you never know I suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So we're going for soft power now. In fairness to them, music is one of the few areas where we probably have some of that. Not convinced it's going to make a big difference but you never know I suppose.

 

Of course it isn't. It's not the musicians' job to negotiate trade and service deals, the idea is laughable. It's their job to produce music and entertain, and the government's job to facilitate this, end of. And I'll say it again. Why should they be a special case above all the other service industries we export? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Renton said:

 

Of course it isn't. It's not the musicians' job to negotiate trade and service deals, the idea is laughable. It's their job to produce music and entertain, and the government's job to facilitate this, end of. And I'll say it again. Why should they be a special case above all the other service industries we export? 

 

They shouldn't but that's not always how the world works. British music is popular in Europe, I'm just saying I can see them having more success here than elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

 

They shouldn't but that's not always how the world works. British music is popular in Europe, I'm just saying I can see them having more success here than elsewhere.

 

I don't think that is how the world works, unless you can show me some precedence for visa exceptions on a sector by sector basis? It sound like cherry picking. I think the EU's offer was to waive visas across all professional sectors but that was too close to FoM for our fascist government. Might be wrong there mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Renton said:

 

I don't think that is how the world works, unless you can show me some precedence for visa exceptions on a sector by sector basis? It sound like cherry picking. I think the EU's offer was to waive visas across all professional sectors but that was too close to FoM for our fascist government. Might be wrong there mind. 

Isn’t Brexit just a big Schwazwälder Kirsch anyway?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...