Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

• 4 weeks later...

Rumours going around again today that Cabaye is Wenger's top target for the summer, with Man Utd wanting him too. Thing is, everytime this gets brought up the articles are mentioning figures like £15m for him, surely we'd be putting a much higher valuation on him than that? Besides, if we're looking at creating something special here and eventually making a regular top end challenge we need to keep our better players, especially with the French revolution going on.

I think we knocked back bids for him in the summer...that may explain his "slow" start to the season. Very talented, but he's not going to cement either Spurs or Arsenal into top 4. On the other hand Scholes and Giggs will be lucky to get another contract iyam and Michael Carrick is 33. If manu come knocking I would imagine it would be difficult to keep him.

Just the media wanting to move on one of our players. The only French player I could see leaving is Ben Arfa and that's only because of his unpredictability,

Just as likely to be his own agent planting the stories.

One thing in our favour is the secluded lifestyle he can live up here. He isn't hounded by the press - he just goes about his family life in a nice house in Darras Hall.

Move to London and all that changes. It would take mega wages to tempt him.

One thing in our favour is the secluded lifestyle he can live up here. He isn't hounded by the press - he just goes about his family life in a nice house in Darras Hall, being guest editor for the local newspaper.

Move to London and all that changes. It would take mega wages to tempt him.

Tidied ;)

( but I do see, and agree with, your point)

So does ambition and a chance to play for a trophy winning club. If I was Fergie I'd be after signing him. He's proven in the PL and would be ready made for them, just the kind of signing Fergie likes and money not being an issue obviously.

Let's hope it's a load of shite.

So does ambition and a chance to play for a trophy winning club. If I was Fergie I'd be after signing him. He's proven in the PL and would be ready made for them, just the kind of signing Fergie likes and money not being an issue obviously.

:(

Let's be realistic - if a club like ManUre come in for any of our players with the right offer, it's a no-brainer for a player to leave.

I think Cabaye will want a full season at least with the crop of french internationals at the club, but after that if we're having another stuttering season then he might be off elsewhere.

The guy comes across as a good professional, so I can't see him sulking at not getting any move in the summer.

I think he'll stay , rumour has it he has been blighted with attitude clashes with managers and players and everything I've seen of him at the toon has shown none of this . If his reputation is anything to go by we'd soon know if he wanted away.

French press has him down as calling targets to lure them to the club, I reckon he's enjoying himself here and why not?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Newcastle United star Yohan Cabaye has revealed that he battled depression earlier this season after a gruelling debut campaign in English football.

The former Lille star joined Newcastle in the summer of 2011, and he had a sparkling year which ended with his appearance for France at Euro 2012.

But he admits that not having a winter break for the first time in his career took its toll on his body, which led to a bout of depression.

Cabaye, though, feels that the groin injury he suffered midway through this season in many ways helped him and he now feels he is getting back to his best.

"Depression? I am not afraid to say that. It was that," he explained to L'Equipe.

"I was reassured reading the books of Jonny Wilkinson and Rafael Nadal, who both talked about the same thing. They talked about post competition depression and the need to have a break."

Yohan Cabaye

"But I was reassured reading the books of Jonny Wilkinson and Rafael Nadal, who both talked about the same thing. They talked about post competition depression and the need to have a break.

"Euro 2012 was the first big international competition I had played. It is completely different than what you could experience in daily life with your club.

"My season was long in a league where the pace is higher than in Le Championnat. I started with Newcastle early in July 2011 and finished late in June 2012 and, for the very first time, I didn't have any winter break so then to resume in July 2012, it was very difficult. Maybe it is difficult to start again after a big competition such as the Euros, but my body didn't allow me to do what I wanted to do.

"On a morning when I woke up, I could still feel tiredness. I wanted to think about something else rather than football.

"I am lucky to earn a living with my passion, but it was the right moment for a break. So my groin injury at the end of the year was finally not such a bad thing. Maybe that is why I was back earlier than expected.

"I asked myself a lot of questions. As long as you didn't experience it [depression] you cannot understand. But I was not worried.

"My injury allowed me to have some rest, meet my family and friends in Lille. When I was back in Newcastle in December I knew I felt better, but I never complained to anyone but my entourage."

Back to his best

Cabaye insists that he feels so much better following the surgery on his groin and he is now loving football again.

He added: "When I underwent surgery, I never asked myself if I would find my best level. My only desire was to cure my adductors, not feel any more pain and to be back perfectly fit in 2013.

"Physically I feel perfectly fine now and I am keen to fight for the club. I want to give twice as much to save the club from the drop. I want to prove to the fans that they can trust me and I can defend the Newcastle colours.

"Now that episode is over, I have much more fun going to daily training sessions. I realise how lucky I am. I felt that enthusiasm could leave and that is most dangerous."

He's certainly been playing differently since he came back. Fair play to him. Also, how come our journalists don't conduct interviews like this, where you actually get a sense of what the player is like...?

He's certainly been playing differently since he came back. Fair play to him. Also, how come our journalists don't conduct interviews like this, where you actually get a sense of what the player is like...?

Because our journalists are folks like Lee Ryder.