Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

But, in answer to the question, what would you do differently to make us compete with Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool for the CL spots?

The analysis of yearly spend on wages and transfers suggests we would need to spend £30-40m a year extra to get anywhere close, which is money we simply don't have.

First he said European not champions league but 1: Improve revenue streams to improve team investment. We have actually dropped match day revenue and our position abroad has deteriorated. 2: we had cash this year an extra 60 miliion or so we did nothing with. 3: improve coaching don't kerp hiring fuckwit pals. And finally don't ignore gaping holes in the team like centre forward.

First he said European not champions league but 1: Improve revenue streams to improve team investment. We have actually dropped match day revenue and our position abroad has deteriorated. 2: we had cash this year an extra 60 miliion or so we did nothing with. 3: improve coaching don't kerp hiring fuckwit pals. And finally don't ignore gaping holes in the team like centre forward.

I think some of that is incorrect. Its commercial income from sponsorship, hospitality boxes etc that are down. When i used to go to the Metro radio box around a decade ago, i couldnt believe the sorts of companies that had boxes at SJP. Those companies are long gone since the crash and perhaps before. I think matchday income from ticket sales has been steady, there are clubs who have hiked the prices to show some big growth but we freeze ours. Overseas revenue is not broken down within commercial and there is no analysis of this sub-stream of income over time anywhere that i am aware of so thats made up. We get the cash at the end of this year, not the start. Its arguably an asset already but since we dont run an overdraft, i dont think we have access to it yet.

However, i agree with the sentiment and wanted to share a couple of additional thoughts. There was a narrative within the football finances discussion one or two seasons ago that the money required to break into the top 4 was so astronomical that the risk was hardly worth it. The argument ran that if you want to spend your way there, you either have to lay out 100's of millions or face a strong possibility that additional expenditure will not even affect your league position. It was quite a dominant narrative, exemplified by the astronomical quantity of money spent by Man City to buy a place in the CL places. It was also given credence through the expenditure at clubs like Villa which got them nowhere.

Within this narrative was Spurs and Everton. Spurs were attempting to build towards the CL places financially as they had a solid framework within which to grow. Everton were '

financially challenged' but through 'good management' were able to hover just beneath the top spots, challenging, probing, hoping.

This season has cemented my view that all of that narrative was biased by the one major factor driving success at those clubs; the manager. City had an arsehole in charge throughout their time of riches, Hughes is a cunt, Mancini is a cunt, neither of whom are for me great managers. No wonder it took hundreds of millions for them to buy their way there. O'Neill is as we now all know a shite manager, no wonder Lerner's millions got them nowhere. Spurs had Happy Harry, the fucking knobhead but he got them up there with a set of players that were good but not amazing.

For me, this league is more than open to any club that does 2 things; puts the best manager and coaching staff their budget and talent acquisition skills afford and invest in key areas of the team. Southampton are a good example and in a way so are we, as if we had put 20m down on another attacker, another midfielder (or wherever else you think), you can see that we might have sneaked a few more points already this season.

Then again, without the right mix at the club, you could be Cardiff spending 30m, Norwich wasting 12m on Von Wolfswinkel, 12m for Bony at Swansea etc etc. Only Southamptom have out spent and out performed us and i think they are being subsidised heavily. If they are, it wont be forever.

Spot on with needing a centre forward we've always been renowned for having one.

I think some of that is incorrect. Its commercial income from sponsorship, hospitality boxes etc that are down. When i used to go to the Metro radio box around a decade ago, i couldnt believe the sorts of companies that had boxes at SJP. Those companies are long gone since the crash and perhaps before. I think matchday income from ticket sales has been steady, there are clubs who have hiked the prices to show some big growth but we freeze ours. Overseas revenue is not broken down within commercial and there is no analysis of this sub-stream of income over time anywhere that i am aware of so thats made up. We get the cash at the end of this year, not the start. Its arguably an asset already but since we dont run an overdraft, i dont think we have access to it yet.

However, i agree with the sentiment and wanted to share a couple of additional thoughts. There was a narrative within the football finances discussion one or two seasons ago that the money required to break into the top 4 was so astronomical that the risk was hardly worth it. The argument ran that if you want to spend your way there, you either have to lay out 100's of millions or face a strong possibility that additional expenditure will not even affect your league position. It was quite a dominant narrative, exemplified by the astronomical quantity of money spent by Man City to buy a place in the CL places. It was also given credence through the expenditure at clubs like Villa which got them nowhere.

Within this narrative was Spurs and Everton. Spurs were attempting to build towards the CL places financially as they had a solid framework within which to grow. Everton were '

financially challenged' but through 'good management' were able to hover just beneath the top spots, challenging, probing, hoping.

This season has cemented my view that all of that narrative was biased by the one major factor driving success at those clubs; the manager. City had an arsehole in charge throughout their time of riches, Hughes is a cunt, Mancini is a cunt, neither of whom are for me great managers. No wonder it took hundreds of millions for them to buy their way there. O'Neill is as we now all know a shite manager, no wonder Lerner's millions got them nowhere. Spurs had Happy Harry, the fucking knobhead but he got them up there with a set of players that were good but not amazing.

For me, this league is more than open to any club that does 2 things; puts the best manager and coaching staff their budget and talent acquisition skills afford and invest in key areas of the team. Southampton are a good example and in a way so are we, as if we had put 20m down on another attacker, another midfielder (or wherever else you think), you can see that we might have sneaked a few more points already this season.

Then again, without the right mix at the club, you could be Cardiff spending 30m, Norwich wasting 12m on Von Wolfswinkel, 12m for Bony at Swansea etc etc. Only Southamptom have out spent and out performed us and i think they are being subsidised heavily. If they are, it wont be forever.

Yes, Verbitam.

Just been checking we play Arsenal on December 29th probably just a coincidence.

:lol:

Arsenal have enough mid fielders as it is I think. They're going to be looking for a striker and thats about it.

But, in answer to the question, what would you do differently to make us compete with Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool for the CL spots?

The analysis of yearly spend on wages and transfers suggests we would need to spend £30-40m a year extra to get anywhere close, which is money we simply don't have.

It would take at least a few seasons to build the club to get to that point, which is why the transfer window after we came 5th was a huge time for the club to push on and show ambition to want to be in the upper echelons of the league. I'm not saying we should have spent big money then, but small steps to start the process should have been done then but instead we went backwards.

All sensible points, but would that really get us into the Champions League? Regardless of who we have as manager and DoF, without spending £30-40m more a season, every season, I don't see how we could possibly sustainably qualify for the CL. The gap is just too big.

I would target a trophy before before a CL spot. You know, the shiny silver things that everyone in football loves to get and what everyone wanted before people were brainwashed into believing that participation in, (but not coming anywhere near winning), a CL campaign had more glory attached to it. It doesn't.

This!

No doubt he'll end up at Roma with Rudi Garcia.

I think it's more likely he'll go to Manchester United. With the lack of creative quality they have in midfield they'll jump at a player with Premier League experience who can provide that.

Really good post Chez..

The only meaningful comparison of commercial income is against other teams in the league/country, and it should include historical data so that growth or decline can be tracked and compared. Anecdotal evidence can be emotive but is ultimately useless.

He is under contract with us and of course, that is where his future lies until such time as we say his future does not lie here.

“So in some ways, it is not cut and dried. But I don't want that to appear as a negative for Yohan because it is a World Cup year for him. I think we are all aware there will be a lot of eyes on him between now and the end of June. A lot of big clubs, who would be interested in him, I'm sure.

Cheerio, Yohan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10482498/Alan-Pardew-struggling-to-keep-Yohan-Cabaye-at-Newcastle-United.html