Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

He's a very good player who is tied to the club until he's 30, so the cards are all in our hands!

In my opinion 25m will let us push on to the next level.

Sissoko can play centrally and HBA out wide. We wouldnt be that worse off!

With players like Ince floating around on the cheap, we'd be mad not to take the money.

As ewerk said, do you really believe the money will be reinvested? History dictates it won't. We're not going to get relegated so they're under no pressure to buy anyone. They can take the money and say it's going to be reinvested in the summer..somewhere we've been before.

I did see HBA against Fulham. I also saw him against Arsenal and in his other unproductive appearances. Cabaye is a more consistent player and will win us more points over the season than HBA will, as much as I love having a player of his quality play for us.

Selling Cabaye now could work out in our favour. I can agree with that. If we had scouted his replacement. If we had planned for his departure. If we intended to spend even one penny. I appreciate that you try to be an optimist, or maybe just try to see the best possible side to the endless banquet that is NUFC - course after course of falsely raised expectations and brief, almost painful joy, followed by bitter disappointment. But now I ask you, in your toon-loving deepest heart of hearts, do you really believe we will reinvest the money if we sell Cabaye now?

We wont be able to replace Cabaye with a player of equal quality, he's a finished article. The best we could possibly hope for is a player who might possibly become as good as him in 2-3 years but that doesn't do us much good now. I agree totally on telling PSG to sling their hook, they've had all fucking month to make a bid (haven't they been on a winter break in all?) and they've waited until the last week of the window.

If he leaves we'll not buy, as yet again it'll leave us in a position Ashley and co claim to hate, with everyone knowing we have just received a large sum of cash and a position to fill prices will be put higher. I still have a feeling Anita was bought as a Cabaye replacement.

it sends a clear message about the club's ambition and policy too doesn't it? it's probably as depressing for the players as it is for the fans. they know their only way to play for a club capable of winning anything, or challenging the top clubs, is to move on. because it isn't going to happen while they're at nufc.

:lol: Fucking textbook this like. "Not confident of keeping him, and very interested in selling him" is the truth of the matter.

he's just happy to be here isn't he. he's ashley's dream manager tbf.

Edited by Dr Gloom

We've plenty of options in the middle, Cabella seems like he'll be easier to get in the summer, there's no chance of top 4, so why would they spend more than they want to get a replacement now?

The sour taste of selling Cabaye and no deals done this window will not come from not buying a direct replacement, it'll come from a lack of strengthening the team at all. To be fair, I think that we could get by and reach a 8/9th top half finish (get in :glare: ) if we sell him and do not replace him in January, but the fact is that other areas of the team need strengthening as well (CB, ST, to name just two positions), and yet again we seem happy to revert back to a squad of bare bones after a period of relative squad depth (the luxury of having Ben Arfa on the bench, basically). It is the fundamental selling and not buying which will piss everyone off. Not actually buying anyone for two windows in a row, while selling your best player in one of them would be a clear sign that mid table inertia is all we have to look forward to for the foreseeable future. I just wish that Ashley would come out and say something. It's the lack of communication which fucks me off the most. All we get is the vague translations through Pardew who, to be fair to him, is stuck between a rock (us) and a fat cunt.

Edited by ADP

I did see HBA against Fulham. I also saw him against Arsenal and in his other unproductive appearances. Cabaye is a more consistent player and will win us more points over the season than HBA will, as much as I love having a player of his quality play for us.

Selling Cabaye now could work out in our favour. I can agree with that. If we had scouted his replacement. If we had planned for his departure. If we intended to spend even one penny. I appreciate that you try to be an optimist, or maybe just try to see the best possible side to the endless banquet that is NUFC - course after course of falsely raised expectations and brief, almost painful joy, followed by bitter disappointment. But now I ask you, in your toon-loving deepest heart of hearts, do you really believe we will reinvest the money if we sell Cabaye now?

The bid for Cabaye isnt exactly out of the blue, so I'd like to think we've got a plan.

We've never panic purchased in any window. Last January we brought forward our summer targets.

Deep down I think we will either have no plan and so hold out for silly money and buy no replacement; or sell for decent money and buy a player on the cheap - like Ince.

Didn't Kinnear come out just last week saying that we will not be selling anyone or some such?

I don't think that HBA and Sissoko can step in and replace what Cabaye is doing. No chance. It'll be pretty bitter if it goes down in the window and not the summer.

The bid for Cabaye isnt exactly out of the blue, so I'd like to think we've got a plan.

We've never panic purchased in any window. Last January we brought forward our summer targets.

Deep down I think we will either have no plan and so hold out for silly money and buy no replacement; or sell for decent money and buy a player on the cheap - like Ince.

Fair enough.

We panic bought in January when we were going down, and Kuqi as a replacement for Carroll was tantamount to a "panic signing." I'd like to think Ashley (and Llambias, while he was still here) had learned from those mistakes but I suspect they haven't.

The sour taste of selling Cabaye and no deals done this window will not come from not buying a direct replacement, it'll come from a lack of strengthening the team at all. To be fair, I think that we could get by and reach a 8/9th top half finish (get in :glare: ) if we sell him and do not replace him in January, but the fact is that other areas of the team need strengthening as well (CB, ST, to name just two positions), and yet again we seem happy to revert back to a squad of bare bones after a period of relative squad depth (the luxury of having Ben Arfa on the bench, basically). It is the fundamental selling and not buying which will piss everyone off. Not actually buying anyone for two windows in a row, while selling your best player in one of them would be a clear sign that mid table inertia is all we have to look forward to for the foreseeable future. I just wish that Ashley would come out and say something. It's the lack of communication which fucks me off the most. All we get is the vague translations through Pardew who, to be fair to him, is stuck between a rock (us) and a fat cunt.

We've been told several times what our aims are and our transfer policy has been the same since promotion, he'd only be repeating what we already know.

Didn't Kinnear come out just last week saying that we will not be selling anyone or some such? I don't think that HBA and Sissoko can step in and replace what Cabaye is doing. No chance. It'll be pretty bitter if it goes down in the window and not the summer.

So what? Wouldn't be the first time someone has said things like this as a negotiating tactic

I don't understand why anyone needs a clear indication of the clubs (sorry MA's) intentions. They are blatently obvious. And as we have Ben Arfa on the bench we can clearly afford to let Cabaye go (days before a derby game that if we lose it will be first time since the 20's that we will have lost three in a row apparently) and bring him into the team.

Don't worry, we can still hang on for that dream top 8 place!