Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

The club is merely a vehicle for players to establish themselves and go to a bigger club. Cabaye leaving was inevitable. Krul will be next (not in this transfer window but within the next three) after he racks up more game time. They are the only two in the squad who have the quality to make it at the very top level. Just hope Graeme Carr has his eyes on a few unearthed gems and Kinnear desn't fuck things up in trying to bring them in.

Aye. He was happy to stay if we paid it.

For a free transfer it would have still been good value to pay what he was asking. We refused.

Ambition.

Totally agree. But there is a wider picture and that pic is blurred by insane money and mercenary players...The modern game..No loyalty.

So realistically what are the chances of getting a replacement in before Friday.

Not much.

We've got over £20 million to spend now. Other clubs know this and will ask for more, which we won't pay. We'll then make some public statement about refusing to be held to ransom.

Totally agree. But there is a wider picture and that pic is blurred by insane money and mercenary players...The modern game..No loyalty.

5 year contract would have cost £20m in total.

Is that insane?

Southampton almost spent that on Osvaldo before wages. It's obscene, but it's the norm, even for smaller clubs than Newcastle.

5 year contract would have cost £20m in total.

Is that insane?

Southampton almost spent that on Osvaldo before wages. It's obscene, but it's the norm, even for smaller clubs than Newcastle.

Then what do you say to the other players when they knock on the door for a pay rise?

Our wage bill and turnover is roughly the same as Villa and Everton. The top 4's wage bills are 3/4 times ours.

Our benchmark rivals turnover say Liv and Spurs - one is double ours and the other 50m more...

This is the reality of our marketplace.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/apr/18/premier-league-club-accounts-debt

PSG have spent 250m in two seasons.

Edited by Park Life

So who's to blame for this ? It must be the club for disclosing the original interest from Arsenal because before then Cabaye seemed happy enough was playing well and had loads left on his contract. The club should have point blank told Arsenal to fuck off and said nothing to Cabaye.

Aye.

Ashley has reduced our turnover so we're unable to compete and wipe our own nose. He has to invest in a squad that will compete to lift turnover to a level that matches other clubs of our size...to a level it was at before he arrived.

He's a great player who wanted to move on in the summer. Clearly we sat him down and said he can go when a good offer comes in. That day has come.

Ashley no mug, selling Cabaye will cost us five league places, which is around 5m. So I highly doubt he'll leave without anyone coming in.

We bought no one in the summer and will have this cash to spend, so I would expect us to bring in at one or two players.

:lol:

Hate the impotent rage lasting thirty seconds before the frustration at the futility of it all.

We'll get the same party line, the same nonsense, and just as quick as 2 wins and we'll be back in the loving arms of the abusive relationship.

So who's to blame for this ? It must be the club for disclosing the original interest from Arsenal because before then Cabaye seemed happy enough was playing well and had loads left on his contract. The club should have point blank told Arsenal to fuck off and said nothing to Cabaye.

Call me cynical about the actions of modern football agents/negotiators, but I'm fairly sure he'd be made aware of the interest one way or another regardless of how quiet or loud the club wanted to be about it.

Not what I wanted to see when getting home from work, he's been. A joy to watch this season.

We might get another player in, but they won't be a replacement for that unless we unearth a very rare gem out of nowhere.

Top class player, we could never hang onto him with our structure and low level of ambition. It's going to hurt the side massively as he's a big part of the better football we play.

Would settle a bit better if I thought they would re invest, but like toon don said I can also see the "won't be held to ransom" line coming out again. I have zero faith in our transfer system now with Kinnear in a position of actual power (I initially hoped it was simply a title) which impacts the was Carr and Pardew carry out the dealings.

Sad to lose a player like this as he made watching games enjoyable which is what this is all about for us at the end of the day. Won't see one like him at this club for a long time.

Great player. We probably won't sign someone of his quality again for a long time. When he's on form he's up there with the best in the PL.

Can't believe the guy cutting up his season ticket. What did he expect? If this is coming as a surprise to anyone they need to get out from the rock they're living under.

It's fine to be disappointed that Cabaye is leaving but there's no need for rage or threats of protest or whatever.

This is what we have to expect from Ashley or frankly any owner that isn't a multi-billionaire/sovereign state. It's not even really a stain on Ashley anymore than its just the way the game works. What can be done? What can Ashley do? Not much.

That's not to say Ashley isn't a knob. The situation doesn't absolve him of that. Hiring JFK and changing the stadium name are just two examples of his douche-baggery so there's no need for CTesque black/white pea brained dichotomies to come into play. Simple fact is the club will not progress with him here. But that shouldn't give rise to the illusion that the club is necessarily being held back by Ashley compared to any other owner of similar financial ilk. Not by much anyway.

I'm disappointed. But we know it was inevitable. Hate the nature of big money sports now and the death of loyalty.

Looking forward then... Wonder what our chances are now of bringing the de Jong brothers in.

Adieu mon ami, hope the grass is greener for you across the channel.

Too bad loyalty can't compete with financial gains or ambitions.

Cabaye's departure was inevitable, anyone could see that. Especially after his refusal to play when Arsenal placed a bid for him.

I just hope his departure doesn't bring on a problem of poor morale in the dressing room and on the pitch.

I'm disappointed. But we know it was inevitable. Hate the nature of big money sports now and the death of loyalty.

Looking forward then... Wonder what our chances are now of bringing the de Jong brothers in.

Why should he be loyal to us? If a player loses form they're soon turned on by the fans and you don't often see clubs give under performing players contract extensions.

Can completely understand any footballer without long term ties to a club (e.g. childhood supporter or raised through the youth system) making the moves which are best for their own interests.