Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

Love that CT brought up Nolan leaving as if that is in any way the same. Cabaye is a top shelf player, the only one we've really had in years (not counting goalies), we won't be replacing this lad or anywhere near in terms of quality. As HF's stat showed we play far different football when Cabaye is out the team, tbh I think we all knew that before that statistic.

Someone brought up the fact he's had 2 assists this season but that isn't the whole picture is it? He's the heart beat of our side and everything goes though him like Modric was for spurs, he didn't get tonnes of assists either but often the pass that comes one or 2 passes before the assist is the incisive one and that is what we have lost.

This is shite for the fans, Ashley having another £20m or so (going off BBC info) means precisely nothing for us besides the hope that this parasite might fuck off from our club sooner. We've lost a very enjoyable player to watch and the 2nd half I this season will very possibly be poor hoofball in an awkward 4-4-2.

Love that CT brought up Nolan leaving as if that is in any way the same. Cabaye is a top shelf player, the only one we've really had in years (not counting goalies), we won't be replacing this lad or anywhere near in terms of quality. As HF's stat showed we play far different football when Cabaye is out the team, tbh I think we all knew that before that statistic.

Someone brought up the fact he's had 2 assists this season but that isn't the whole picture is it? He's the heart beat of our side and everything goes though him like Modric was for spurs, he didn't get tonnes of assists either but often the pass that comes one or 2 passes before the assist is the incisive one and that is what we have lost.

This is shite for the fans, Ashley having another £20m or so (going off BBC info) means precisely nothing for us besides the hope that this parasite might fuck off from our club sooner. We've lost a very enjoyable player to watch and the 2nd half I this season will very possibly be poor hoofball in an awkward 4-4-2.

He scored some cracking goals as well ( 2nd top scorer this season 7) he'll be sorely missed

He scored some cracking goals as well ( 2nd top scorer this season 7) he'll be sorely missed

Aye and it seemed clear he'd end the season in double figures if he'd stayed, double figure tally in goals as well as being the main hub of the side.

Grenier looks more of a replacement for Cabaye. Cabella looks like he's more of a forward (be it in behind the striker or out wide). I'd like to see them both but then again I'd like to have a 12 inch cock and be regularly sticking it the majority of the adult female cast of GOT!

I'd like to see Cabella come in but I'm finding it hard to drum up any enthusiasm whatsoever.

From the way they're talking about him it probably wont be until the summer if at all.

Cabella can play all across a front three but more often than not he's been in the CAM/10 role just behind the striker - which is where Cabaye has been playing. Any deeper than that is Tiote/Anita territory.

Anything to stop this beige season dying altogether I suppose.

Will we really spend the money on a top midfielder?

The way I see it we still have Sissoko, Anita, Tiote, Gouffran and Ben Arfa who I don't mind starting, but we still have Mike Wiliamson and Shola starting a daft number of games for such limited ability.

Won't (shouldn't?) the money be spent up top and at the back?

Cabella can play all across a front three but more often than not he's been in the CAM/10 role just behind the striker - which is where Cabaye has been playing. Any deeper than that is Tiote/Anita territory.

Anything to stop this beige season dying altogether I suppose.

From i've read/manged to see online, that's what he looks like to me. And while I agree Cabaye has been pushed further forward recently, I don't think he was quite that far up. And he certainly got stuck in in the middle of park. Cabella doesn't seem to be that sort of player. I may be wrong though as I've seen very little of him.

Similarly, I've seen very little of Grenier but he does look a bit stronger.

Incidentally - and it's only stats but apparently Cabella has won more interceptions in the opponents half than any Newcastle player this season.

I've never seen Grenier play tbh!

Will we really spend the money on a top midfielder?

The way I see it we still have Sissoko, Anita, Tiote, Gouffran and Ben Arfa who I don't mind starting, but we still have Mike Wiliamson and Shola starting a daft number of games for such limited ability.

Won't (shouldn't?) the money be spent up top and at the back?

I don't think it will be spent at all but I think a replacement for Cabaye is absolutely necessary and the stats bare this out. We are less threatening in attack when he doesn't play and we also conceed more which I think is down to a combination of us being able to attack less well and the graft that he puts in too.

At the back we have, Debuchy, Santon, Haidara, Colo, Mbiwa, Taylor and even Williamson now who are all decent options. I would like better but I'm not convinced there's a desperate need for where we are aiming.

We are desperately short up front though. Cabaye going hasn't changed that and when Remy and DeJong's loans are up in the summer and Shola finally goes we will be in a dire situation.

I'd be very surprised if anyone came in this week. Like I said before, we're safe this season and in no cup competitions. So it's not like we have to buy to save our season. They'll wait to the summer. It's actually probably the most sensible thing to do if I'm being fair to them.

This is pretty much mirroring the nufc model of the 80s though isn't it? Bring in cheap (then it was local players) and sell high. If you remember as well, once players knew this was the ideology of the club then they were always on the lookout to jump ship knowing the club was going to flog them to the highest bidder as soon as they got the chance. Pedro has gone on record in his book saying he would have stayed but the club had no ambition whatsoever so he buggered off first good offer he got.

That's the problem, the club are giving the message to the players that if they play well and hit a high level of form then they'll sort out a nice big fat transfer to a top club for them so everyone is happy. What's wrong with saying to players 'we're aiming for xyz' and 'we want to build a team around you.' Depressing as fuck this transfer.

Incidentally - and it's only stats but apparently Cabella has won more interceptions in the opponents half than any Newcastle player this season.

I've only caught glimpses of Grenier when having a look at Gomis, I can safely say I'd rather we signed Grenier as he's a far better player than Gomis, who is a bit of a donkey.

Grenier plays in between the midfield and the front line much like Cabaye, good with both feet. Can take a set-piece aswell.

Admittedly I'm going totally on stats, reports and youtube so my opinion on this may well be totally worthless!

Just read an interesting comment in the Chronicle someone saying could Cabaye not have played tonight & said his goodbye to the fans. It may have been a better way to do it rather than him sneaking out the back door im sure he would have had a cracking send off.

Will Grenier not be a bit pricey for our lot? I mean he's highly rated, at a big side and performing well, so unless he's got some release clause I'd be shocked if Ashley would part with anything over 8m to get him. The Cabella thing is confusing to me as well, so we've supposedly agreed to signing him in principle according to some reports yet we haven't agreed any fee? meanwhile their mentally unstable chairman has said he expects Bale money for him and their manager has said he'll probably leave for someone like Spurs or Chelsea in 6 month.