Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

Will Grenier not be a bit pricey for our lot? I mean he's highly rated, at a big side and performing well, so unless he's got some release clause I'd be shocked if Ashley would part with anything over 8m to get him. The Cabella thing is confusing to me as well, so we've supposedly agreed to signing him in principle according to some reports yet we haven't agreed any fee? meanwhile their mentally unstable chairman has said he expects Bale money for him and their manager has said he'll probably leave for someone like Spurs or Chelsea in 6 month.

The fee the press seem to be mentioning for Grenier is around £10m (probably still too pricey for us) but god knows with their chairman.

And I think the Bale type money Montpellier's equally mental chairman was quoting was for if they were to sell them in January. In the summer it apprantly drops to a somewhere near sane level.

Neither club would allow it now the deal had been agreed. He could get injured, quite seriously, then both clubs would be fucked.

Yeah fair point not that it matters now anyway.

The fee the press seem to be mentioning for Grenier is around £10m (probably still too pricey for us) but god knows with their chairman.

And I think the Bale type money Montpellier's equally mental chairman was quoting was for if they were to sell them in January. In the summer it apprantly drops to a somewhere near sane level.

Ah cheers for making that a bit clearer, seems to be a law that these French chairmen must be mental. £10m would be a steal for a lad like Grenier tbh, especially given his age. Bringing in someone like that would definitely soften the Cabaye blow but unfortunately it seems we've ridiculously agreed to sell in the closing days of a window again, when we should have really just agreed to sell him to PSG in the summer therefore Cabaye was happy he got his move and still had incentive to play with the World cup this summer.

Ah cheers for making that a bit clearer, seems to be a law that these French chairmen must be mental. £10m would be a steal for a lad like Grenier tbh, especially given his age. Bringing in someone like that would definitely soften the Cabaye blow but unfortunately it seems we've ridiculously agreed to sell in the closing days of a window again, when we should have really just agreed to sell him to PSG in the summer therefore Cabaye was happy he got his move and still had incentive to play with the World cup this summer.

Ashley can't resist those £££s.

The problem with Grenier is that he signed a new deal last summer when Arsenal were sniffing. It would take all the Cabaye money to get them to the table imo.

Aye I'm surprised at this £10m, pretty sure there were reports of him wanting really high wages as well. I'd be really shocked if we got this lad for anything less than we sold Cabaye for, and I'd be even more shocked if we actually did that.

Ashley can't resist those £££s.

True, sad that he can't at least put that off for 5 month to benefit the side. Suppose he has been waiting 3 year to sell the lad. Edited by Howay

Loyalty is a two way street that has to be earned and developed, mad to think anyone would be loyal in that situation.

Know nothing about the careers of those 2, but what reasons have we given Cabaye to say 'No, I must remain loyal to this foreign club I've been at for a couple of years who are undoubtedly below the level I should be playing at and are showing no ambition to reach that level!'

We cheered him I guess.

I know if I were in his position (assuming I was a non-Newcastle supporting Frenchman) I'd be grateful to the fans for their support, but straight on the next flight to my Champion's League chasing, title winning world class team mates and flicking through the few multimillion pound section of RightMove for something to splash my doubled wage packet and signing on bonus on back in the capital of my home country.

If you were going to be annoyed with Cabaye for a lack of loyalty, you should be annoyed with him for leaving Lille after 7 seassons when they've just won the double.

Fair point, and I suppose I was speaking more in general terms. Would love to see someone like that here - not that I would expect it of Cabaye.

Oliver Torres, Thauvin and Koke could be had for 10m but they are probably too young at around 20ish..All midfielders with good engines, goals and playmaking tendancies.

If we are seriously looking we have the money to snaffle a couple of promising midfielders no bother...But are we?

The finished product will be around 15-20m sadly.

I certainly wouldn't want to overpay like Spurs have done on Lamela and Ericksen. 50m the pair! :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Wages are a big stumbling block for us as well, as with no CL footy wages are a big part of what attracts players to us but now our wages are capped we can't expect to attract these lads like Grenier who are making a name for themselves and are probably looking to be on 70k a week or higher when they move. We got extremely lucky getting a player of Cabaye's quality, like Parky says it'll be £15-£20m for the finished article and we wont pay that, it'll be at least £10m for some of these promising lads and it's doubtful we'd pay that. The supposed £50k a week ceiling we have for most players would have to be broken to have any hope of attracting some of those players.

Chelsea supposedly interested in him now, we were only really interested in him before Marseilles signed him once he went there he was out of our price range tbh. Hard to make a profit on a player you pay £20m for as it's hard to guarantee people will want to pay much more than that for him in future.

Just read an interesting comment in the Chronicle someone saying could Cabaye not have played tonight & said his goodbye to the fans. It may have been a better way to do it rather than him sneaking out the back door im sure he would have had a cracking send off.

And risk getting himself injured with the deal being called off?

And risk getting himself injured with the deal being called off?

I've all ready agreed thats a fair point but I suppose he could have went to the game to say his goodbyes. It's not important now I just thought it would have allowed a proper send off.

We shouldn't have taken less than 25 million. They haggle over half a million for Debuchy and let Cabaye go for almost 10 million less than his value (initial fee only, not taking add-ons into account.) Penny wise and pound foolish.

To be fair I think pulling in 5 times what we paid for the bloke when he was pure class from day 1 is pretty good going.

Arsenal's refusal to go that high tells you we got the French premium from PSG wanting a homegrown player. Probably the one club in the world who would have been willing to pay what they have for him.

Or, that Arsenal were massively lowballing us, which they were, with that feeble 10m offer.

The thing is thats what turned his head before that I dont think there was any doubt about him moving on.

@lee_ryder: Cabaye Press conference at #psg will be interesting. Lack of ambition at #nufc a clear factor in his decision to move.

Shock, horror! :o

I can imagine that line everytime anyone leaves the club now.