Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

We sold Gazza, Goddard and McDonald, (Not Supermac ;)), probably our best three players the season we finished eighth in the league. Spent the majority of the money and promptly finished 20th the season after and relegated. In a perfect World you become a stronger side in this situation but it mostly doesn't work out this way.

Let's hope they have plenty of inside info on (good) players with clauses in their contracts as this is the only we can progress from here.

Why on Earth are you quoting something that happened nearly 30 years ago, when we sold Carroll 3 years ago in exactly the same circumstances.

After selling Caroll for 35m we bought...

Following Summer: Cabaye, Ba, Marveaux, Obertan & Santon

Following Winter: Cissé

...and had 15m left over!

It could be said the players above were replacements for Nolan, Barton, Enrique - and only Ba/Cisse were Carroll replacements. But we still came out with a much better team, which is all that matters.

For me, I think selling Cabaye echos the circumstances surrounding the sale of Enrique, neither sales came as a massive shock. Santon came as a nice surprise and a lot better than most expected - we were linked with Liam Ridgewell in the papers.

Ashley main fault is he's happy to walk away from a deal if it doesnt meet our terms. So I hope he lines up the replacement in tandem, or sellers will put their price up!

In the last 10 games our short passes per game have dropped below 300 in one game, the average being 398.

Southampton (285), which Cabaye sat out.

We average almost 50 less short passes per game in the 3 games he's missed than in the 19 games he's played.

HOOF!!!

Cabaye has 2 assist in 19 games this season, so there is plenty of room for improvement.

So we should sit in silent contemplation of what's been lost, rather than post about it?

Apologies, it wasn't meant to sound bitchy.

tbh I'm more concerned about losing the quality of his passing rather than the quantity. Anita can pass the ball, but less incisively imo. Also Soton are a good team so I don't know whether we had significantly less possession and less time on the ball in that match as a result? Also, and to state the obvious, we need to replace his goals somehow, which is a challenge when we only have one dangerous striker (who has gone slightly off the boil)

Apologies, it wasn't meant to sound bitchy.

tbh I'm more concerned about losing the quality of his passing rather than the quantity. Anita can pass the ball, but less incisively imo. Also Soton are a good team so I don't know whether we had significantly less possession and less time on the ball in that match as a result? Also, and to state the obvious, we need to replace his goals somehow, which is a challenge when we only have one dangerous striker (who has gone slightly off the boil)

We did have less possession (40%)...but that's because we missed Cabaye.

In the same period we played Man U, Man City, Arsenal and Swansea who are no slouches at keeping the ball and when we had it we passed it more.

We did have less possession (40%)...but that's because we missed Cabaye.

In the same period we played Man U, Man City, Arsenal and Swansea who are no slouches at keeping the ball and when we had it we passed it more.

On a brighter note, when we sold Carroll we thought we might develop a more fluid passing game but Shola took his place and we still hoofed it. So you never know....

Edited by ChezGiven

Why on Earth are you quoting something that happened nearly 30 years ago, when we sold Carroll 3 years ago in exactly the same circumstances.

After selling Caroll for 35m we bought...

Following Summer: Cabaye, Ba, Marveaux, Obertan & Santon

Following Winter: Cissé

...and had 15m left over!

It could be said the players above were replacements for Nolan, Barton, Enrique - and only Ba/Cisse were Carroll replacements. But we still came out with a much better team, which is all that matters.

For me, I think selling Cabaye echos the circumstances surrounding the sale of Enrique, neither sales came as a massive shock. Santon came as a nice surprise and a lot better than most expected - we were linked with Liam Ridgewell in the papers.

Ashley main fault is he's happy to walk away from a deal if it doesnt meet our terms. So I hope he lines up the replacement in tandem, or sellers will put their price up!

Because CT thinks, like yourself that we will reinvest the money sensibly, (if we do reinvest it all), and add to the squads strength overall. I'm saying that it isn't always the case. Clubs who sell their best players tend not to be better off and the reason I gave that example that I did is because its the team I support, I was around at the time, and also because so was CT, (well he was alive then, anyway). Although Beardsley basically paid for the Milburn Stand, Gascoigne's money actually was reinvested however it wasn't spent wisely. You can't always unearth good players with clauses in their contracts. There's no guarantee whatsoever that we will come out of this with a better team in Jan or the end of the summer window.

Because CT thinks, like yourself that we will reinvest the money sensibly, (if we do reinvest it all), and add to the squads strength overall. I'm saying that it isn't always the case. Clubs who sell their best players tend not to be better off and the reason I gave that example that I did is because its the team I support, I was around at the time, and also because so was CT, (well he was alive then, anyway). Although Beardsley basically paid for the Milburn Stand, Gascoigne's money actually was reinvested however it wasn't spent wisely. You can't always unearth good players with clauses in their contracts. There's no guarantee whatsoever that we will come out of this with a better team in Jan or the end of the summer window.

We've been successful at reinvesting over the last couple of years because you can unearth hidden gems for under £10m that are better than Danny Simpson, Danny Guthrie or James Perch.

Trying to replace Yohan Cabaye or Demba Ba at that budget is much more difficult.

We've been successful at reinvesting over the last couple of years because you can unearth hidden gems for under £10m that are better than Danny Simpson, Danny Guthrie or James Perch.

Trying to replace Yohan Cabaye or Demba Ba at that budget is much more difficult.

Difficult yes, but the fact we bought them confirm the current setup can do it.

The Cabaye sale hasnt come out of the blue and we've not signed anyone for nearly a year, so we should have a massive list of targets.

Difficult yes, but the fact we bought them confirm the current setup can do it.

The Cabaye sale hasnt come out of the blue and we've not signed anyone for nearly a year, so we should have a massive list of targets.

The point is we'll still be looking for players better than Danny Guthrie, not for anyone better than Cabaye.

We've gone from a club that was using sales to improve the team to a club that gets dwindling returns from selling to fund our bargain hunting.

Ashley's history suggest he'll buy wisely or not at all. Beckford and Mariappa (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16811091) stands out as a good example.

Luuk de Jong seems to be on his way in for a medical. We wanted him in the summer, so he's been well scouted and isnt a panic buy.

I guess only time will tell.

The point is we'll still be looking for players better than Danny Guthrie, not for anyone better than Cabaye.

We've gone from a club that was using sales to improve the team to a club that gets dwindling returns from selling to fund our bargain hunting.

Is that true though?

Luuk de Jong is coming in for a medical. He was being touted around for 10m in the summer - a tad more than Guthrie. Cabella also seem s a top draw player.

Moreover, I doubt we'll be looking for a like-for-like replacement as Sissoko is much better centrally and his work rate will allow someone HBA to play.

Ashley's history suggest he'll buy wisely or not at all. Beckford and Mariappa (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16811091) stands out as a good example.Luuk de Jong seems to be on his way in for a medical. We wanted him in the summer, so he's been well scouted and isnt a panic buy.I guess only time will tell.

Cabella has been mentioned but probably wont be this window its as if the club is 6 months out of sync with the transfer windows.

Cabella has been mentioned but probably wont be this window its as if the club is 6 months out of sync with the transfer windows.

That's Ashleys relentless pursuit of a good deal.

We make an offer that usually gets rejected. Then we wait for the selling club to come back with their tail between their legs.

Cisse was offered to us for 15m, but we got him to 8m in the following Jan. Debuchy was pushed back a window over 500k.

I'm pretty sure we've walked away from loads of deals over tiny amounts - Gomis and Remy stick out in the last year. It could be said this has weeded out the mercenaries, but cheap skate is more accurate.

We are "out of sync." It's intentional. We do have a scout at the club who knows what he's doing, so we identify good targets, then buy them not when we need them but 6 months later after more time on their contracts has ticked down and they're available on the cheap. We've needed a Ba replacement since he left. Signed Remy (on loan) 6 months later. The squad desperately needed strengthening in the 12-13 summer. We bought no-one, then signed 5 players in January 6 months later. When Shola and Cisse go this summer, along with Jonas and other squad players, we'll replace them the following January, after their absence has already cost us. But it'll be cheaper to do so!

We are "out of sync." It's intentional. We do have a scout at the club who knows what he's doing, so we identify good targets, then buy them not when we need them but 6 months later after more time on their contracts has ticked down and they're available on the cheap. We've needed a Ba replacement since he left. Signed Remy (on loan) 6 months later. The squad desperately needed strengthening in the 12-13 summer. We bought no-one, then signed 5 players in January 6 months later. When Shola and Cisse go this summer, along with Jonas and other squad players, we'll replace them the following January, after their absence has already cost us. But it'll be cheaper to do so!

Hoping they haven't signed for another club in the meantime .