Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

If Cabaye is on a hundred grand a week and signing a minimum 3 year contract including his transfer fee Palace will have spent nearly 28 million on a 29 year old player. Is that the bargain buy of the season. lol.

Depends if he keeps them up. How much of a bargain was Riviere?

If Cabaye is on a hundred grand a week and signing a minimum 3 year contract including his transfer fee Palace will have spent nearly 28 million on a 29 year old player. Is that the bargain buy of the season. lol.

. I'd have him back in a flash money gonna be no object to a lot of clubs for a few years now Edited by CraigCooper

I think it's a good buy in the current market. That you are distorting the reality of the figures, suggests to me that you know it's not an automatic poor piece of business.

Edited by toonotl

He's proven quality that will improve their team for the next few years at least. It's a no brainer and is the sort of business we should be doing on occasion too instead of this fixation on resale value.

Hate the attitude nowadays that you're not supposed to spend money on somebody proven who isn't in their early twenties. It's not like Cabaye's game is based around being dynamic like Gerrard's was.

The above type of attitude would mean that in today's game people would have been up in arms about us brining back Beardsley.

Also if it was us linked with Cabaye for similar fee and wages I bet people's outlook would be totally different.

Good signing for them, will paper over a lot of Pardew's cracks, but I'll be interested to see how he does regardless.

Shows you how much that move to Paris fucked his career. Imagine suggesting signing for Palace when his star had risen for us? He would have told you to fuck right off.

This is doing the rounds currently which sums it up :lol:

#Cabaye to palace is like your supermodel GF leaving you for a pilot, then 12mths later she's seeing that bloke from the chippy!

I think the most surprising thing about the signing is Cabaye agreeing to go to Palace. I almost got the impression Cabaye was incredibly frustrated with Pardew's style of play. Really though, it could have just been me projecting my frustration through the tele.

I reckon people have forgot how good he is because he's barely played in two seasons, he's probably just jumped at the chance of regular first team football and the team will revolve around him at Palace. He'll be looking at the Euro's next summer and trying to get back in that French team.

I reckon people have forgot how good he is because he's barely played in two seasons, he's probably just jumped at the chance of regular first team football and the team will revolve around him at Palace. He'll be looking at the Euro's next summer and trying to get back in that French team.

I am sure the French national Manager can not wait to see Cabaye's influence on his Palace team mates, who will be lucky if they are on a third of what he is getting. The total lack of interest from the rest of Europe sums up Cabaye's current status.

I agree on his status, which I posted earlier.

Playing every week in the Premier League is a massive factor in international football, playing well and getting headlines makes it even better. This is summed up by Sissoko last season, he had a bit part season and didn't play well consistently but he played 34 of the 38 games last year. He missed 4 games through suspension, so he performed most weeks and subsequently was a regular for France. Called up to every squad, even though he had poor runs of form throughout the season. I can see Cabaye having a bigger influence on that Palace side than Sissoko will have for us. I hope I'm wrong like.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

He's proven quality that will improve their team for the next few years at least. It's a no brainer and is the sort of business we should be doing on occasion too instead of this fixation on resale value.

Spot on, tied down for what should be his peak years (29,30,31). Athleticism isn't really the biggest part of his game and he seems to be a good pro so I see no reason he couldn't be performing at a high level till 33/34. There's nothing wrong with spending this sort of cash on occasion especially with the new TV deal, not sure how people can laugh at them for spending 12m and 100k a week on a proven class player who massively improves their side while our lot haven't signed anyone at all (Palace now also have a far better Central midfielder than we have on the books). To be honest getting Cabaye back would have been the exact sort of signing that would have lent some credibility to fatty's pre-game speech, instead they're still waffling on about finding the right deal on our terms.

Cabaye and Austin would've been a real statement of intent. I said at the time actions speak louder than words (total cliche I know but so applicable to Ashley's interview). It reminded me of those programme notes about ambition etc. just before Keegan got pissed off and walked. We've heard it all before.

Any player who goes on strike whilst being punted around like an item of furniture under Ashley, is ok by me.

Sour grapes I think.

Another season starts soon, and another one where I'll be amazed if we don't get relegated.

The guy went on strike to force a move away from us. And now he wants to come back for triple the wages leading into the twilight of his career?

No thanks

Can you blame him for wanting to leave? His behaviour was a bit shoddy but, even though it hasn't worked out fantastically for him in terms of playing achievements, staying here while the club went backwards was a worse option for any decent player.

I don't blame him for wanting to leave.

Do I blame him for refusing to play? Damn straight. I get paid less in a year than he earns in a week playing for the club I love. And he couldn't be fucked turning up. He's a cunt