Newcastle United vs Chelsea

Aeris

We have every chance to take this with a squad like ours. Hopefully Marveaux is back with a crack and kicks Jonas out on his ass. It doesn't take too many history lessons to see that less poor performers has been sent to the reserves in all eternity before....but we are also the team that tries to utilize the likes of Shola to the "fullest"...

This is what I think we should do. Before we release the Percher once more, I suggest we use 3 good centre halves to prevent Debuchy and Santon, who are weak defensively, to be heavily involved in the back and be more involved going forward. As long as Benny is not back, and we have no other exceptional wing to use this is a good deal for us I think. Sissoko, Anita, Cabaye and Marveaux sparkling together in the midfield, Cisse on top and Gouffran his cover (dont wanna see more of this fucking Ameobi shit, PARDEW!!!)

Krul

Taylor---Mbiwa---Colo

Debuchy-----Anita-------Santon

Sissoko-------Cabaye

Marveaux

Cisse

Edited by Aeris

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tricky one to predict. Chelsea are inconsistent at the best of times, but can tear anyone apart on their day.

We, on the other hand, come into the game on the back of a huge, huge win at Villa.

I would imagine the entire side will be the same as the one we started at Villa with. I can't see it being changed too much. You could make a case for Mbiwa starting in place of Taylor maybe.

Venturing up north for this one as the missus got me tickets for my birthday. Seriously looking forward to this one! As marveaux is out for 2-3 weeks and gutierrez is apparently injured, reckon we could see Anita involved from the off as part of that attacking 3 midfielder thing pardew likes to do. I'd rather push Santon up, but with Haidara as backup, it would be a bit of a batism of fire.

Why would anyone want us to play three at the back? Since I've had a ticket any time we've ever tried it, it's fell completely on it's arse.

The only team I've seen using it in this country for years is Citeh this season and they've struggled badly every time Mancini's forced it on them. I can only assume he's trying because Juve have had some success with it recently but I can't remember seeing any other team use it in ages.

Great OP. Love the tactical analysis. Kind of falls flat when you are unable to count to 11 though. Wouldn't you agree?

Well sorry, I was an idiot, but Ant commented like 5 secs after I did the mistake so I wasn't able to edit it time...God help me

It started off on a bad suggesting 3 at the back... Then of course the 10 players thing... I suppose it could work!

Please do remember, we have tried this before. We have tried this on a few occassions. It has been debated and suggested on MANY occasions and it NEVER works. I know it may sound ridiculous to completely dismiss a formation based on historical trends, but in our case I would say it's a good shout. No point messing around with funny formations especially with a fresh squad (and ony 10 players). : )

It started off on a bad suggesting 3 at the back... Then of course the 10 players thing... I suppose it could work!

Please do remember, we have tried this before. We have tried this on a few occassions. It has been debated and suggested on MANY occasions and it NEVER works. I know it may sound ridiculous to completely dismiss a formation based on historical trends, but in our case I would say it's a good shout. No point messing around with funny formations especially with a fresh squad (and ony 10 players). : )

OKEY, get it, it's not for every game, but I was only trying to project a more secure defensive formation in a match we're probably gonna be sitting back large parts of the game anyway. Even with Sissoko and Cabaye we are still in a little deep shit when it comes to confidence, and I'm not so sure we'll stand a chance if we match Chelsea with the same type of formation as them. They got amazing wingers like, we have none... but we have way better players than Villa had yesterday playing us with a similar tactic.

Edited by Aeris

A secure defence isn't created by simply adding more defenders. All that serves to do is reduce your outlets to play out of defence and invite more and more pressure.

A strong defensive performance must be matched across the pitch. You can't simply stick an extra defender in there and give the midfielders a free role.

As has been suggested, stopping Juan Mata could be crucial - this will depend on the performance of Sissoko / Perch / Anita (delete depending on who plays!) in the deeper midfield role more than it will on Coloccini, Taylor or Mbiwa.