Gigs 2013

Gene_Clark

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Saw 3 rock acts at the Cluny last night.

Stormborn

As close to an Iron Maiden tribute act as you can get when it's all original material. I was highly amused. Proper 80s hair and lycra shit. the best thing was how unpolished it was. I was waiting for a 3 foot stone henge. The lead singer would do an elaborate set of moves to the drums, firing imaginary arrows into the crowd, shadow boxing and jumping all over....then check his watch mid-note on a particularly long Bruce Dickinsonesque "Woaoaooaoaoaoaoh!". Tiny stage in the cluny as well but the 5 of them up there were giving iot the full hair rotation for the driving beats. Spinning it like catherine wheels. It looked mint...until one of them stops to pull up his shorts. Inadvertantly hilarious. I can't find video, put this picture sums them up I think.

383844_350073298407014_1355555223_n.jpg

Dorje

Rob Chappers is big on Youtube. He does tuition vids and has his own range of signature model guitars and that. I think that gives him ideas above his station because he seemed to hate every second of being up there. Looks like Russell Crowe...who i hate and sounds like Eddie Vedder...who I hate. He's say things to the quarter full venue like "come closer, you won't get to see me live again, it's your only chance" then he'd fist bump those in the front row. Miserable rock by a miserable man and a miserable watch. The one saving grace was the second guitarist (who took the lead on lots of songs, inexplicably. You go to see Rob Chappers, it's to see his guitaring) he was clearly a legend, fat lad with a big fro who was having a whale of a time and an excellent gutarist.

Phil X and The Drills

Best band of the night. Mixed covers of Led Zep, The Eagles, AC/DC, Hendrix and that with his own tunes. He's been a session guitarist on loads of albums recorded in LA. Tommy Lee, Methods of Mayhem, Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, Orianthi, Rob Zombie, Chris Daughtry, Alice Cooper etc. He's another one who does lots of youtube tuition. The whole band had a Tenacious D feel. Respect the rock, but have a good laugh playing it.

Went to the CMA Songwriters Series acoustic gig in that London last night. Kristian Bush, Bob DiPiero, Brett James and Chris Young. Had to perch on a ledge to see anything, but this is the price you pay for going to the kind of gig where the punters wear cowboy hats. Yee-haw!

Saw 3 rock acts at the Cluny last night.

Dorje

Rob Chappers is big on Youtube. He does tuition vids and has his own range of signature model guitars and that. I think that gives him ideas above his station because he seemed to hate every second of being up there. Looks like Russell Crowe...who i hate and sounds like Eddie Vedder...who I hate. He's say things to the quarter full venue like "come closer, you won't get to see me live again, it's your only chance" then he'd fist bump those in the front row. Miserable rock by a miserable man and a miserable watch. The one saving grace was the second guitarist (who took the lead on lots of songs, inexplicably. You go to see Rob Chappers, it's to see his guitaring) he was clearly a legend, fat lad with a big fro who was having a whale of a time and an excellent gutarist.

Phil X and The Drills

Best band of the night. Mixed covers of Led Zep, The Eagles, AC/DC, Hendrix and that with his own tunes. He's been a session guitarist on loads of albums recorded in LA. Tommy Lee, Methods of Mayhem, Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, Orianthi, Rob Zombie, Chris Daughtry, Alice Cooper etc. He's another one who does lots of youtube tuition. The whole band had a Tenacious D feel. Respect the rock, but have a good laugh playing it.

Saw these 2 in manchester last summer, surprised at the Dorje review, they were ace when I saw them. Right in saying that Bea is an awesome guitar player!

• 1 month later...

So after Meat Ive had a look at what else is on at the Arena and quite fancy two more this year.

Queens we will rock you in June. Any one seen the show?

And Andre Rieu at Christmas which I think will be an excellent night out.

I think it was Sammy recommended song kick and I used the site for a bit but I recently got the app and it's fucking great. Checks my Google play account for all the artists I like and cross references then with any locations I specify and automatically sends me a message when someone I like is coming to town.

Queens we will rock you in June. Any one seen the show?

I've seen it and am confident you'll love it.

Edited by trophyshy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't been to any gigs for months but have bought tickets for three in the past week or so - Pumpkins (with Ash), Placebo and Gun.

Gun were a band I loved but never saw first time around so really looking forward to that one.

After not going to any gigs for absolutely ages I've got a few in a short space of time. Rush the other night in Sheffield (fantastic), Stone Roses in London next Friday then Neil Young the following Monday at the Arena. Strange mix, but in a good way I hope. :D