Gigs 2013

Gene_Clark

Different bands do festival sets differently - some bands are good enough that they can let the songs speak for themselves. Don't think Homme is much of a talker and didn't do much to get the crowd going other than make weird observations. Must've been a bad day but not a band for me.

Till Lindemann spoke to the crowd twice, but it was still a breathtaking set as the pyrotechnics were there and they have shitloads of belting material. Then again Bruce Dickinson wouldn't shut up but Maiden played an awesome gig too. Gaslight Anthem ploughed through without talking yet their material is just regurgitated Bruce Springsteen-rimming dullness so it really didn't work.

I'll say one thing though about gigs recently' date=' the amount of people who stand holding up phones and the like for the entire thing is insane, they must spend the entire show taking clips to show people how they were there but actually watched none of the thing.[/quote']

I like how people hold up phones in place of lighters for songs now. :D

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say one thing though about gigs recently, the amount of people who stand holding up phones and the like for the entire thing is insane, they must spend the entire show taking clips to show people how they were there but actually watched none of the thing.

One of my absolute pet hates, aye. Just watch the bloody thing you've paid for!

Whenever I've seen him he'll do one or two obscure ones for the die hards, three or four off his latest album and the rest of the set is the classics. So there should be plenty to enjoy....but he does "re-imagine" a lot of the classics. He's got 3 minutes into "like a rolling stone" before I realized that's what he was playing before. I love those surprises but I've seen people get very angry about it.

If its in a smaller/mid-size venue I wouldn't think twice about recommending him. In venues the size of the arena though he can totally lose the audience. No screens or owt for him.

Every gig he does has a set list online so you can have a look at what he's playing these days. Looks like he is doing less of the oldies....

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/events

Cheers for that link! He's playing at the Grand Rex which holds 2,800 people. Going to try and see about tickets but its mid November and my job doesn't really allow me to plan that far in advance.

One of my absolute pet hates, aye. Just watch the bloody thing you've paid for!

Dan Deacon has an app that people going to gigs can download. It then syncs their phone with the light desk at the gig and people there can hold them aloft and be part of the show.

Love owt like that me.

Cheers for that link! He's playing at the Grand Rex which holds 2,800 people. Going to try and see about tickets but its mid November and my job doesn't really allow me to plan that far in advance.

That should be much better than the Arena then. A quarter of the size. I'd jump at that.

Dan Deacon has an app that people going to gigs can download. It then syncs their phone with the light desk at the gig and people there can hold them aloft and be part of the show.

Love owt like that me.

That's different though, when it's something the act actually wants. (We had funky remote-controlled light bracelets at Eurovision this year. :boogie:) I just can't imagine anyone saying "you know what would really improve tonight's show, if half the crowd watches it through a viewfinder while blocking other people's view"

That's different though, when it's something the act actually wants. (We had funky remote-controlled light bracelets at Eurovision this year. :boogie:) I just can't imagine anyone saying "you know what would really improve tonight's show, if half the crowd watches it through a viewfinder while blocking other people's view"

Aye, I meant those that insist on having a shitty video with unlistenable audio from the event don't annoy anyone as they get lost in the sea of people with their phones out contributing to the show.

Aye, I meant those that insist on having a shitty video with unlistenable audio from the event don't annoy anyone as they get lost in the sea of people with their phones out contributing to the show.

True, I suppose that's a useful fringe benefit. Although with some of the dicks you get going to gigs, you can imagine them spending the whole night filming each other holding up their phones instead.

(I go to gigs in London, obviously, which tends not to help when it comes to the self-interested dickhead quota of the audience.)

Not yet, tempted though. Saw them a year or two back and I can't imagine they'd do much different, but it was very good. Let's get the beers in either way. :good:

Sounds excellent to me sir. :good:

Fish I will let you know as there's only two of us going so far but that might increase.

Three days until I head down to Pilton for my first Glastonbury since this incarnation of the board was born, in 2005.

Just me and my girlfriend instead of me and two dozen 20 year olds so it will be a bit different...

Off to see H2O at Trillians with my dad tomorrow. They're a straight edge, hardcore band from New York. I've a feeling we are going to stick out like a sore thumb :lol:

Be honest, you're hoping you will, too. ;)

H2o gig was amazing last night. Probably only 150 people there so it was like having the band play in your front room practically. Some mental 16 year old stole the microphone at one point and proceeded to nail the entire song :lol: the singer was well impressed

• 4 months later...

Well, Television were absolutely superb.

Not bad for a bunch of blokes in their sixties :D

Didn't know they were touring...theyre playing some sort of festy thing at Camber Sands holiday park next weekend with Dinosaur Jnr amongst others :lol:

http://www.songkick.com/festivals/155536-all-tomorrows-parties-atp/id/16498974-all-tomorrows-parties--atp-2013#lineup

Good excuse to play this :good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfwoYEcpQhU

• 2 months later...

Took me old mum to see The Black Dyke Band at the sage today.

Quite sensational on many levels. :)

The sound in that place is fantastic.

The Band themselves were superb.

Some of the individual performances were breathtaking, what stamina.

The complexity of some of the compositions was quite remarkable.

A real pleasure to watch quality musicians doing their thing.

Took me old mum to see The Black Dyke Band at the sage today.

Quite sensational on many levels. :)

The sound in that place is fantastic.

The Band themselves were superb.

Some of the individual performances were breathtaking, what stamina.

The complexity of some of the compositions was quite remarkable.

A real pleasure to watch quality musicians doing their thing.

Complexity should be nowt for someone that can play by ear as yourself.