Gigs 2013

Gene_Clark

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil Young & Crazy Horse at the Arena last night. I thought it was good and I was pleased I've had the chance to see him live, but some of those extended outros, fuck me. :lol: I think I skipped about 3 birthdays during Fuckin' Up. Loads of moaning sods in the crowd as well who obviously weren't happy at the setlist.

Not seen anyone for ages (discounting the visit to the Grand Ole Opry) but upcoming - Runrig 40th anniversary gig at Edinburgh Castle on July 20th, train up am, on the sauce, gig, curry, hotel and yem Sunday, should be canny if weathers OK !!!

Neil Young & Crazy Horse at the Arena last night. I thought it was good and I was pleased I've had the chance to see him live, but some of those extended outros, fuck me. :lol: I think I skipped about 3 birthdays during Fuckin' Up. Loads of moaning sods in the crowd as well who obviously weren't happy at the setlist.

As a total aside - Mate of mine and his Mrs saw Neil Young in the 70's at the City Hall, were sat in the bar debating whether to drink or watch the support (as you do - or as you did back then) decided to sit and drink, as he says they decided at the time "Ah, we'll not bother it's some band called the Eagles, never heard of them"

Got tickets to see Godspeed! You Black Emperor at Brixton in November.

Meenz are you going?

Might be able to sort you out somewhere nearby to crash if you want?

Got tickets to see Godspeed! You Black Emperor at Brixton in November.

Meenz are you going?

Not yet, tempted though. Saw them a year or two back and I can't imagine they'd do much different, but it was very good. Let's get the beers in either way. :good:

Got back from Download yesterday so I've seen a fair few gigs!

The absolute best set though was Rammstein. Got close enough to feel the warmth of the multitude of explosions and flames. :lol: Iron Maiden were mint too - they had a spitfire flyover before they came on. Saw Turisas too of course.

Random find of the festival was a band called Necrogoblikon. Goblin metal. :thumbup:

Wen't to see Ed Harcourt at the Sage a couple of weeks back.

He was utterly fucking class. Most of it was just him on a grand piano or solo on the guitar occasionally with a couple of lasses playing violin or singing.

One song he played acoustic without a microphone and everyone could hear as they were in total silence. 10/10 Must see. Must.

Got back from Download yesterday so I've seen a fair few gigs!

The absolute best set though was Rammstein. Got close enough to feel the warmth of the multitude of explosions and flames. :lol: Iron Maiden were mint too - they had a spitfire flyover before they came on. Saw Turisas too of course.

Random find of the festival was a band called Necrogoblikon. Goblin metal. :thumbup:

I saw Rammstein about twelve years ago at the docklands arena and they were mental - good though.

Will probably try to get Jimmy Eat World tickets on Friday.

Thinking about going to see Bob Dylan later this year.

HF, what's he like live? I know 6 or 7 albums of his well, the classics basically. Do you need an encyclopedic knowledge of his work to be sure to enjoy it?

HF, what's he like live? I know 6 or 7 albums of his well, the classics basically. Do you need an encyclopedic knowledge of his work to be sure to enjoy it?

Saw him in 2011 and his voice is shot but made up for it with good bluesy arrangements of his stuff and the band is excellent. A definite "jam" feel to it but not self-indulgent in the way Neil Young can be. He played something off each of his classic albums and peppered some stuff for the fans in too. I thought he was excellent but no idea what 2 years has done to his voice. The difference in seeing McCartney in 2010 to hearing him in 2012 was drastic.

Whenever I've seen him he'll do one or two obscure ones for the die hards, three or four off his latest album and the rest of the set is the classics. So there should be plenty to enjoy....but he does "re-imagine" a lot of the classics. He's got 3 minutes into "like a rolling stone" before I realized that's what he was playing before. I love those surprises but I've seen people get very angry about it.

If its in a smaller/mid-size venue I wouldn't think twice about recommending him. In venues the size of the arena though he can totally lose the audience. No screens or owt for him.

Every gig he does has a set list online so you can have a look at what he's playing these days. Looks like he is doing less of the oldies....

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/events

Queens of the stone age in november :D

Never really liked them apart from No One Knows and In My Head, but I went to see them at Download as they were on the main stage.

Shite. Josh Homme was either pissed or high, but it didn't make for an exciting or decent set. :dunno:

They were better than Gaslight Anthem though. God sake what a dull band. Never seen so many people sleeping during a gig. :lol:

Never really liked them apart from No One Knows and In My Head, but I went to see them at Download as they were on the main stage.

Shite. Josh Homme was either pissed or high, but it didn't make for an exciting or decent set. :dunno:

Ant, ban him.