Beckham giving his wages to charity.He's up to something

essembeeofsunderland

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless he gains more financially in other ways.Why did he make it public.Why a french charity.What will he do if PSG are drawn against Man Utd in the CL.If he can gain more publicity by not playing,he won't.I forcast an `injury' if it happened ,which may mean he will possibly miss the game,and a long drawn out farce leading up to the game ,i e further publicity.

Edited by essembeeofsunderland

What the fuck does it matter? I heard loads of people whingeing that he's donating to a French charity rather than an English one. How utterly ridiculous. He's being paid by a French club and children who need help still need help regardless of which country they live in. Why should he do anything for Sport Relief when the money might go to children in Africa??

In this age of overpaid, egotistical footballers it's an amazingly generous thing for a person to do. Publicity? He doesn't need it - nor tax relief. Good on him and I hope it pricks the conscience of some of the other multi-millionaires in the game who are assured of financial security for the rest of their lives.

Of course he's doing it for publicity, that's practically a given. Why is that necessarily a bad thing? There's enough other facets of Beckham's personality that you can criticise, but generosity isn't one of them. He's doing the right thing.

What the fuck does it matter? I heard loads of people whingeing that he's donating to a French charity rather than an English one. How utterly ridiculous. He's being paid by a French club and children who need help still need help regardless of which country they live in. Why should he do anything for Sport Relief when the money might go to children in Africa??

In this age of overpaid, egotistical footballers it's an amazingly generous thing for a person to do. Publicity? He doesn't need it - nor tax relief. Good on him and I hope it pricks the conscience of some of the other multi-millionaires in the game who are assured of financial security for the rest of their lives.

Spot on.

As sniffer has said, pathetically grasping for something to dislike about this/him

Essentially whats happening is a guy is giving millions to charity and people are thinking "what a bastard" or grasping for some ulterior motive and those people desperately need to have a look at themselves. Sad.

Of course he's doing it for publicity, that's practically a given. Why is that necessarily a bad thing? There's enough other facets of Beckham's personality that you can criticise, but generosity isn't one of them. He's doing the right thing.

I genuinely believe that David Beckham has no need whatsoever to create anymore publicity for himself. He really doesn't! His every move is scrutinised and reported endlessly without this being a stunt.

Is there such a thing as a selfish good deed?

Brand Beckham will always be at the forefront of anything involving him and that praying mantis he calls a wife. The amount he makes through the commercial side of the move means it doesn't matter he isn't being paid a salary.

Is there such a thing as a selfish good deed?

All good deeds are selfish, the question is if there are possible to do anything that's not selfish? that would be an irrational action wouldn't it?

His every move is also motivated by money and the need for maximum attention. He's pretty harmless tbh, but pointing out that he's motivated by money and vanity isn't going to hurt him too much either. Its why Fergie got rid of him, he ceased to be a footballer and became a 'brand'.

I think he's utterly ridiculous, I mean why wait till the last day of the transfer window to announce your signing when your a free agent anyway? The charity gesture is undoubtedly motivated by the French tax laws. Fair play to the bloke, but pointing it out isn't anywhere near as cynical as the gesture itself. He gets away with it because he's a. probably a nice enough person b. careful not to provoke the press and c. physically beautiful, easier to give him an easy time PR wise than someone with a face like a burst welly. Well advised also and has enough common sense to listen to what they tell him and not get delusions of grandeur by going his own way.

Edited by PaddockLad