The root of all evil

Renton

As I've said before there seems to be an "rationality excuse" when it comes to religion - you can't question it on the grounds of causing offence as its "personal" or "faith based" but the same doesn't apply to say a racist who says "I believe whites are superior".

The fact that they have no answers to the sensible questions is what they want to hide by refusing to answer.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was the clip of the evangelicals all raising their hands and chanting "obedience" that got me thinking...

how fucking stupid are these people... could indoctrination be any more blatant

Maybe striking them on the forehead with a wopping great big wooden mallet with "DO WHAT I SAY" inscribed into it...

but you can't call them a cult... because there's loads of em...

77189[/snapback]

57_sheep.jpg

Am busy reading The Marian Conspiracy.....

"Who was the Virgin Mary?"...so far some conclusions drawn are a Judean Princess descended from the line of David ? Jesus Christ was the grandson of King Herod? Mary became pregnant by a Roman officer and married Joseph after Jesus was born ? and the ultimate goal of the author is to find the tomb of Mary..... :rolleyes:

Catholic Schools were tough and unfair but by GOD we behaved and we learned.

There was a St Thomas Moore in North Kenton. I passed my 11+ of course so I cannot say how bad it was, but it had a HELL of a reputation.

If god loves me, hes waiting bloody long enough to show it, Graeme Souness FFS.

"Who was the Virgin Mary?"...so far some conclusions drawn are a Judean Princess descended from the line of David ?  Jesus Christ was the grandson of King Herod?  Mary became pregnant by a Roman officer and married Joseph after Jesus was born ? and the ultimate goal of the author is to find the tomb of Mary..... :rolleyes:

77230[/snapback]

or a complete mish mash of rubbish slung together in 5 minutes and stuck on every airport book shelf for credulous fools to read................................ and make zillions for the "author" and publisher :lol::(:(

or a complete mish mash of rubbish slung together in 5 minutes and stuck on every airport book shelf for credulous fools to read................................  and make zillions for the "author" and publisher  :rolleyes:  :lol:  :(

77377[/snapback]

I've never noticed the Bible on airport bookshelves...

or a complete mish mash of rubbish slung together in 5 minutes and stuck on every airport book shelf for credulous fools to read................................  and make zillions for the "author" and publisher   :lol:  :(  :(

77377[/snapback]

I've never noticed the Bible on airport bookshelves...

77409[/snapback]

I thought he was talking about the Da Vinci code.... :rolleyes:

I thought he was talking about the Da Vinci code....  :rolleyes:

77422[/snapback]

He's talking about The Marian Conspiracy, I was taking the piss, or have I been whooshed?

77422[/snapback]

He's talking about The Marian Conspiracy, I was taking the piss, or have I been whooshed?

77426[/snapback]

No, I'm just talking shit through not reading properly. I actually thought he really was talking about the Bible. :lol:

77422[/snapback]

77426[/snapback]

No, I'm just talking shit through not reading properly. I actually thought he really was talking about the Bible. :(

77429[/snapback]

Explains a lot of your posts :lol:

I saw a program about the Da Vinci code on the Discovery Channel the other day. It was full of mongs visiting the sites in the book and thinking that it was all true. Mind, the irony of the Church being up in arms about this is quite funny.

No, I'm just talking shit through not reading properly. I actually thought he really was talking about the Bible.  :rolleyes:

77429[/snapback]

The same could be said about all 3, it's funny to see people scoffing at religious types taking the Bible seriously, and then banging on about books like Holy Blood, Holy Grail as if they were serious scientific studies.

Explains a lot of your posts :rolleyes:

I saw a program about the Da Vinci code on the Discovery Channel the other day. It was full of mongs visiting the sites in the book and thinking that it was all true. Mind, the irony of the Church being up in arms about this is quite funny.

77433[/snapback]

I live just down the road from Rennes-le-Chateau, one of the supposed hiding places of the Holy Grail. It's always full of tourists banging on about the 'mystical feel' of the place. Absolutely beautful views but the only thing that I'm mystified by is the prices in the book shop.

Explains a lot of your posts :rolleyes:

77433[/snapback]

I live just down the road from Rennes-le-Chateau, one of the supposed hiding places of the Holy Grail. It's always full of tourists banging on about the 'mystical feel' of the place. Absolutely beautful views but the only thing that I'm mystified by is the prices in the book shop.

77438[/snapback]

Doesn't sound like there's any mystery about those prices to me.

You know, I wouldn't mind coming up with some religious bollocks about some site or other and open it as a tourist attraction, charging an entrance fee and having a book shop, of course. License to print money.

"Who was the Virgin Mary?"...so far some conclusions drawn are a Judean Princess descended from the line of David ?   Jesus Christ was the grandson of King Herod?  Mary became pregnant by a Roman officer and married Joseph after Jesus was born ? and the ultimate goal of the author is to find the tomb of Mary..... :)

77230[/snapback]

or a complete mish mash of rubbish slung together in 5 minutes and stuck on every airport book shelf for credulous fools to read................................ and make zillions for the "author" and publisher :):):)

77377[/snapback]

Very true but I had finished my Christmas Oor Wullie annual and twas all I could find to read !!!! :razz:

I recorded it but havem't watched it yet.

I did however watch the first one on Sunday - I'd agree with GF that he was a bit took "meek" (and so will inherit the earth :rolleyes:) with the nutters but sometimes thats a better way to get them to show themselves up than "How fucking stupid are you?"

I did however watch the first one on Sunday - I'd agree with GF that he was a bit took "meek" (and so will inherit the earth :o) with the nutters but sometimes thats a better way to get them to show themselves up than "How fucking stupid are you?"

80589[/snapback]

That's what I thought, although it has to be said it is almost impossible to rationally discuss things with nutters like them.

Incidentally, the alternate point of view was aired straight after TROAE on More 4 in a documentary called "Dark enlightenment". I thought it was really shit. :rolleyes: Seriously though, it was pretty crazy take on atheism as being the cause for all ills in our society, including virtually every war since the French revolution. To say it was unconvincing is an understatement. :yes

I did however watch the first one on Sunday - I'd agree with GF that he was a bit took "meek" (and so will inherit the earth :yes) with the nutters but sometimes thats a better way to get them to show themselves up than "How fucking stupid are you?"

80589[/snapback]

That's what I thought, although it has to be said it is almost impossible to rationally discuss things with nutters like them.

80624[/snapback]

Like trying to discuss Newcastle United with you and Leazes Mag tbh. :rolleyes:

I did however watch the first one on Sunday - I'd agree with GF that he was a bit took "meek" (and so will inherit the earth :o) with the nutters but sometimes thats a better way to get them to show themselves up than "How fucking stupid are you?"

80589[/snapback]

80624[/snapback]

Like trying to discuss Newcastle United with you and Leazes Mag tbh. :rolleyes:

80635[/snapback]

;):yes

Renton's replaced UglyMackems in the Holy Trinity tbh :yes

80658[/snapback]

NOOOooooooooooooooooooo!

Bunch of bastids the lot of yous.....

Anyway, as a fully fledged sandalista I'm not sure I'll fit in. :rolleyes:

Renton's replaced UglyMackems in the Holy Trinity tbh :yes

80658[/snapback]

NOOOooooooooooooooooooo!

Bunch of bastids the lot of yous.....

Anyway, as a fully fledged sandalista I'm not sure I'll fit in. :rolleyes:

80680[/snapback]

Jerst jerking man :o

did Dawkins sepak to more mainstream religious types this time? I think it would have been easier to talk to them with incurring the wrath of whatever god they worship.

did Dawkins sepak to more mainstream religious types this time? I think it would have been easier to talk to them with incurring the wrath of whatever god they worship.

80712[/snapback]

Yes, he did in the main, and the conversations were more civil. He also visited an accelerated faith christian school in London where christianity is included in all subjects; for instance if you're studying physics then Jesus will be in every page of the text book. Scary stuff, especially considering Blair is actively encouraging faith schools like these, which can surely only lead to division and intolerance.

Ian McEwan was also interviewed and made an excellent account of his personal beliefs.