The root of all evil

Renton

While I accpet the possibility of there being a God, I've never been able to get a reasonable answer to the question of why a supposedly compassionate, loving entity (as portrayed) allows a world in which so much human suffering takes place to exist. Especially when a lot of it stems from so-called acts of God like drought, earthquakes and the tsunami.

77082[/snapback]

he/she/it isnt always compassionate though

alien intervention explains the whole happy god/vengeful god bollocks so much better than one omnipotent being

..not that Im saying thats true though!

77107[/snapback]

Alien intervention? :rolleyes:

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a weeks detention and placed in the bottom set in RE for questioning the existence of God and hinting that Mary Magdalene wasn't just washing Jesus's feet. The New Testemant might be based on a living person with a slight over dramatising of events, but the Old Testemant is complete and utter bollocks imo. On the basis of it Religion is mental, people rage wars on each other and kill because a fictional book may or may not have told them to. Believe in what you want to believe in, but a lot of these fuckers make life people's lives a misery on the basis they reckon they know best.

77102[/snapback]

You had sets for RE?

Was top set for Christians and the bottom set for Islamic fundamentalists?

77104[/snapback]

Catholic schools man. I was in Set 4, nicknamed 'The Heathen Set', with all the kids who were still struggling to spell 'Cat' and had an unhealthy urge to set fire to things.

So basically you got detention for daring to have a differing view to what your teacher did?

And I thought we lived in a free country? :rolleyes:

77103[/snapback]

I went to the same school as SLP, over 10 years earlier. If he'd said that when I was there he would have been expelled, after being caned. I'm not joking.

77106[/snapback]

I never knew that! It explains a lot actually. :lol:

While I accpet the possibility of there being a God, I've never been able to get a reasonable answer to the question of why a supposedly compassionate, loving entity (as portrayed) allows a world in which so much human suffering takes place to exist. Especially when a lot of it stems from so-called acts of God like drought, earthquakes and the tsunami.

77082[/snapback]

alien intervention explains the whole happy god/vengeful god bollocks so much better than one omnipotent being

77107[/snapback]

77110[/snapback]

thats how ridicluous it all is. My mate who's fascinted by all the new age science stuff once got stopped by a couple of bible bashers in town. He asked them to explain why you could have an all powerful being who on the one had could be benevolent and caring and on the other angry and vengeful. After 5 mins they walked away from him.

77082[/snapback]

77107[/snapback]

77110[/snapback]

thats how ridicluous it all is. My mate who's fascinted by all the new age science stuff once got stopped by a couple of bible bashers in town. He asked them to explain why you could have an all powerful being who on the one had could be benevolent and caring and on the other angry and vengeful. After 5 mins they walked away from him.

77115[/snapback]

I know, it makes as much sense as alien intervention. My problem with RE was that, despite just going to a non-religious state school, it always seemed to be stauch Christians who taught the subject (with the odd exception) teaching you as the Bible was true and not really allowing discussion. And then they wondered why we were all bored to tears.

St Thomas More? Scum tbh :rolleyes:

77116[/snapback]

It was called St Anselms when I was there, affectionately known as "the Slums".

I actually did OK and left with very good grades, but there are loads of people I know who left with bugger all and are bitter about it. I got an A at O level RE for writing essays about how good God was, and memorising a Mark's Gospel off by heart. :lol:

77116[/snapback]

I actually did OK and left with very good grades, but there are loads of people I know who left with bugger all and are bitter about it. I got an A at O level RE for writing essays about how good God was, and memorising a Mark's Gospel off by heart. :lol:

77118[/snapback]

Just kidding mate, we were robbed in a cup final against them when I was 16, which SLP found hilarious.

Alien intervention?  :rolleyes:

77110[/snapback]

We had one of them for a mate of mine, it was awful; he was eating two, sometimes three aliens a day.

St Thomas More? Scum tbh :(

77116[/snapback]

I actually did OK and left with very good grades, but there are loads of people I know who left with bugger all and are bitter about it. I got an A at O level RE for writing essays about how good God was, and memorising a Mark's Gospel off by heart. :(

77118[/snapback]

We still had to learn Mark's Gospel off by heart and I got an E. It was the only GCSE I got below a C and my mam was devestated. :rolleyes:

Robbed Alex? Robbed? :lol:

St Thomas More? Scum tbh :(

77116[/snapback]

I actually did OK and left with very good grades, but there are loads of people I know who left with bugger all and are bitter about it. I got an A at O level RE for writing essays about how good God was, and memorising a Mark's Gospel off by heart. :(

77118[/snapback]

We still had to learn Mark's Gospel off by heart and I got an E. It was the only GCSE I got below a C and my mam was devestated. :rolleyes:

Robbed Alex? Robbed? :lol:

77124[/snapback]

May God strike you down :(

So basically you got detention for daring to have a differing view to what your teacher did?

And I thought we lived in a free country? :rolleyes:

77103[/snapback]

I went to the same school as SLP, over 10 years earlier. If he'd said that when I was there he would have been expelled, after being caned. I'm not joking.

77106[/snapback]

Jesus fucking wept - whatever happened to freedom of speech? Jesus could have been a raving hom for all we know, but you'd have got expelled on the basis that it doesn't match up with what is in the world's best selling fictional novel...

Viz said Elvis shot JFK for fuck's sake, does that mean we'll get arrested if we dare to suggest it was LHO?? :lol:

(BTW, this is no attack on you Renton, just fucking amazed that a teacher would do that...)

77116[/snapback]

77118[/snapback]

Which St Thomas More?? Not the one in Blaydon?

77116[/snapback]

77118[/snapback]

Which St Thomas More?? Not the one in Blaydon?

77138[/snapback]

...dududududu...Shields! dududududu..Shields!

Brainwashing, simple as and yet very effective. Twenty years later I can still recite all those prayers and remember the holy days.

77127[/snapback]

What got me in the wake of the London bombings was the "factual" way the term "brainwashing" was used in relation to convincing the bombers to act.

If you spend up to 20 years "teaching" people that there is a God with a Heaven which is your reward for doing his will how much more "brainwashing" does it take to say "if you do this then you will go there"?

The problem imo is that there is not enough opposition like Dawkin's to religion. Not from fear of reprisals (though that would be a concern) but just that people who have "seen sense" don't think its worth the effort. When you consider the consequences I think it should be on the agenda - I'd certainly start by abolishing faith schools and all teaching of it in schools.

watched it, it was good, but should have been lead by a stronger personality, Dawkins was all too often overwhelmed by the zealots. He was talking to a Jewish man who had moved to Jerusalem and become a muslim instead.

this guy was railing against change, and citing Allahs soldiers as guardians of that which is right and proper... all Dawkins could do was sit and gape, he was out of his depth. I don't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about, but he was just unequipped to handle these fundamentalists.

it was exactly the same when he visited a christian church in America's Bible belt, this wack-job (who claims to have a hotline to the president, something I both believe and am terrifed of at the same time) chased him off his land for calling his "children animals"

by this he meant that by supporting evolution Dawkins was effectively calling all humans animals.... which we are!

I know that some good and some great people and events have come as a result of religion, but I just cannot begin to put into numbers the sheer volume of atrocities committed in the name of one God or another.

yet if they had a superior debater the program could have raised difficult questions, for example, the Evangelist was accusing the scientists of being arrogant, yet his faith's arrogance is as over-bearing as the God they worship.

I got so frustrated with both the maniacs and Dawkins short comings as a presenter

..get Paxman on there or AF....or something

it was the clip of the evangelicals all raising their hands and chanting "obedience" that got me thinking...

how fucking stupid are these people... could indoctrination be any more blatant

Maybe striking them on the forehead with a wopping great big wooden mallet with "DO WHAT I SAY" inscribed into it...

but you can't call them a cult... because there's loads of em...