The Road To Amsterdam ArenA (UEFA Europa League 2013) - THE END

Aeris

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obertan & Shola should never have set foot on the pitch. Wots wrang wi Pardoo?

I thought it was a very disappointing display considering the player strength we had out there.

First disallowed goal was offside, the second wasn't.

Robbed of 2 goals and Cisse of last year would have had another 2 on top of that. I know football doesn't work like that but it's a good enough reason to put another full strength team out next Thursday. It's not like the bastards have an FA Cup game this weekend

Not a lot, if you think about it.

Obertan started because we don't have any other proper wingers at the moment, Marveaux has failed to impress much stuck out wide whereas Obertan has done alright in this competition this season. Not to mention his one attribute is pace, and we're playing a team lacking in competitive match fitness. How many reasons do you need?

As for Shola, that was an attacking sub (taking the DM, Tiote off) and he was the only striker on the bench. Shola's got a couple of goals in this competition this season too. What should Pardew have done, throw Simpson on up front?

Not a lot, if you think about it.

Obertan started because we don't have any other proper wingers at the moment, Marveaux has failed to impress much stuck out wide whereas Obertan has done alright in this competition this season. Not to mention his one attribute is pace, and we're playing a team lacking in competitive match fitness. How many reasons do you need?

As for Shola, that was an attacking sub (taking the DM, Tiote off) and he was the only striker on the bench. Shola's got a couple of goals in this competition this season too. What should Pardew have done, throw Simpson on up front?

Without being qualified to speak of a guy I've almost never seen in action, I think A.Campbell has the will, drive and skill to do a lot more than Shola from the bench. Shola seems finished as a footballer in every way possible.

Edited by Aeris

Shola came on and laid a chance on a plate as soon as he came on. He is fine as a sub late in the game.

Some horrible bastards in the crowd last night. A couple of horrifically fat cnuts sat behind me who spent the entire game talking to each other. Their main topic was bitching about one of their friends, who often hit his wife but was a canny lad as he shared his coke with them. They paused their conversation only to shout "fuck off man" or "he's fuckin' shite" whenever Jonas got the ball.

I moved about 5 rows further down in the second half but could hear louder shouting when Shola was on the ball.

Clueless, ignorant football observers with a wholly negative view of the players. Why do they even bother turning up?

Shola came on and laid a chance on a plate as soon as he came on. He is fine as a sub late in the game.

Some horrible bastards in the crowd last night. A couple of horrifically fat cnuts sat behind me who spent the entire game talking to each other. Their main topic was bitching about one of their friends, who often hit his wife but was a canny lad as he shared his coke with them. They paused their conversation only to shout "fuck off man" or "he's fuckin' shite" whenever Jonas got the ball.

I moved about 5 rows further down in the second half but could hear louder shouting when Shola was on the ball.

Clueless, ignorant football observers with a wholly negative view of the players. Why do they even bother turning up?

I just wanted to get away from the wife's nagging tbh.

Reading the thread, complaints about Tiote's yellow cards are getting boring, he's not close to the top of the cautions charts.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/stats/elements/?element_filter=0&stat_filter=yellow_cards

Scholes is above him with half as many minutes played, the dirty ginger brilliant prick.

Perch has more bookings from filling in for Tiote.

The whole point of playing where they do is to brak up opposition play. Go in with some bite, show 'em who's boss.

I think we've still every chance of going through. We should have gone there with a lead but this lot are beatable and we only need a score draw to progress.

Yup, going to be a slippery affair though. Seems like the exact type of game we usually mess up.

I thought that was a decent performance - we were very unlucky not to win by 2 or 3. It will be very tricky over there but we've got a decent chance to go through.

I'm really enjoying how we're playing at the moment and it looks like there's a lot more to come from this team with this new lot of Frenchies. Great to see us trying to play on the deck through the middle - with Gouffran and Ben Arfa in that side to add some wide threat we should be quite a potent attacking force. S Taylor has added a lot since he came back - not just his physicality at the back, but also popping up and causing problems in the opposition box. Hopefully he can start getting on the score sheet.

It'll be a shame if we don't go through now but not the end of the world. It was good see us keep going right til the end - looks like we've got a good spirit in the squad and Pardew has to be commended for that.

At the start of this season I was convinced a number of the better players (Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Ba) would be off this summer. For various reasons (Tiote and Ben Arfa's value has probably dropped due to loss of form and/or injury, while Cabaye has his mate here and seems to have cheered up) I'm less convinced of that now, and if we keep improving at the current rate I think we'll give a few teams a bit of a howking between now and the end of the season. That'll hopefully put everyone in a good frame of mind before the summer so we can come back and have a good crack at it again next year. Colo is clearly going to be a huge miss but that other new defender had a decent debut last night so hopefully thats a sign of things to come.

Metalist were a way better technical side than I had bargained for, mainly due to not knowing much about them.

They came here and worked their socks off and looked sharp, battled like demons and played some decent stuff.

We more than matched them though and we were the better side and should have won the game but for piss poor decisions.

The first goal was clearly onside as we all know and the second goal was offside but only by a whisker, yet would have been given in 80% of any matches or 100% if that had been metalist scoring it.

For most of that match I'd have sworn that the officials had took a bribe, seriously.

Anyway, what's done is done, yet I thought we showed enough in that game to give us an excellent chance to make the last 16.

Our major problem in that game was our inability to think sharply when getting into dangerous areas, as for some reason we seem to go clueless with that last pass.

Over all, I thought it was a good, solid team performance and for the sake of shit luck, Cisse should be sporting a match ball on the egg cup on his large mantle piece.

We was robbed, IMO. I'm not joking when I wonder about bribes / pressure either , especially with the Ukraine background.

Some of the decisions were very questionable, and not just the goals either.

Edited by scoobos

I thought it was a very disappointing display considering the player strength we had out there.

First disallowed goal was offside, the second wasn't.

First goal wasn't even close to being offside. The second was touch and go but would have expected it to be allowed.

I agree about Obertan, he's fucking hopeless and Marveaux was clearly a better option. No choice other than to put Shola on though.

Overall we played ok although I think we are trying to play a European game and we aren't really very good at it. Much better to stick with the pace we play at in the premiership. Mbiwa looked like a quality player (being played a bit out of position) and Sissoko continues to impress.

Will be tough over there especially as I expect some changes to be made to the team with the Southampton game in mind.

We'd been cheated out of a result - I can't understand what the booing was for. There was a good few people clapping too mind.

Anyone could see they were a decent team, held the ball well, they were good creatively & they pressed us to death. Probably because after watching a few videos it's clear as day we nearly always shit ourselves when pressed properly.

People don't respect teams they haven't heard of but look at the successes of teams in the Ukrainian league - or even East European teams last night - they are a good set of teams & they take europe very seriously.

I though we would have beat them - and we did 2-0 as far as the rules go- but it was never going to be a walkover. Especially as it was knock out.

Yeah, the booing was ridiculous. Some have said it was for the referee, but if that's the case, why not applaud the team first?

There were some utter, utter bellends in the crowd last night. Some knob was lobbing coins into the crowd when they were walking out of the Gallowgate end after the game. One of the coins caught me on the back of the head at one point too