The Road To Amsterdam ArenA (UEFA Europa League 2013) - THE END

Aeris

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was a great trip even with the result. Lovely city and really nice people (although most fans we met were Sporting supporters so they were all keen for us to win).

Really wish I'd taken today off work though!

For the game, I thought we played well and there's no way we're out of it but I agree there's no way we'll stop them scoring (their pace and movement was excellent) so we'll need to win by three goals to go through and that will be very difficult!

The problem is, there is no way Benfica aren't going to score in the second leg.

Debatable. Mbiwa could have reacted quicker for their first goal and we gifted the next 2. That's in a home game. They aren't going to be half as adventurous in the away leg

I can see us scoring a couple but we need to be so careful not to be caught on the break. Having to chase the game would become self destructive.

Whatever defenders we can put out need to be sharper than they were in Portugal.

Obviously an early goal would help but the fans need to be patient and not encourage us to go gung-ho.

Edited by Banshee

A mate said at half time last night that he thought things went tits up in the first half around the time Perch got booked....just saying..... Lots of disenchantment with Pardew post game, ....lots suggesting Rafa Benitez for next season...any takers?...would he work for Ashley?....what he could do to legislate for Santon being an abysmal defender I don't know like....

A mate said at half time last night that he thought things went tits up in the first half around the time Perch got booked....just saying..... Lots of disenchantment with Pardew post game, ....lots suggesting Rafa Benitez for next season...any takers?...would he work for Ashley?....what he could do to legislate for Santon being an abysmal defender I don't know like....

Benitez? Wtf. How is it Pardews fault Cisse hit the post twice and Taylor and Santon made fuck ups?

Benitez? Wtf. How is it Pardews fault Cisse hit the post twice and Taylor and Santon made fuck ups?

Agreed, lots of knee jerking going on. If we could get a better manager though I wouldn't be completly against it.....would a Benitez with a point to prove be an upgrade?...would Ashley pay the wages of a manager who has managed at a much higher level than Pardew?....

I think Benitez is a risk. He's volatile and could alienate everybody within the first week in the job. Granted we don't have a dressing room full of tits like his former clubs so his authority may hold. But I'm happy with Pardew and don't see any need to change things. Pardew has done well since he got here and just once I would like us to stick with a manager for awhile.

Edited by toonotl

http://www.nufc.co.u...2281670_3134000

The Club were made aware last night (Thursday) by fans leaving the Estádio da Luz of reports that a young Newcastle United fan had been struck by a police baton during the holdback after the game.

Whilst Club stewards and officials were inside the ground, none witnessed the alleged incident. Club officials made Northumbria Police, who were working with local police, aware of the reported incident last night.

The Club would strongly encourage the father of the young fan to make a formal complaint to the Portuguese police - which can be done via Northumbria Police - so that the incident may be investigated.

Newcastle United will assist with any investigation.

Heard this from my mate this morning. He heard a twelve year old lad got hit trying to go to the toilet after the game as the Police were getting unnecessarily aggressive and in his own words 'dying' for a response. Obviously hope that no bairn has been hit but will be amazed if no adult supporter didn't get a crack somewhere along the line.

http://www.nufc.co.u...2281670_3134000

Heard this from my mate this morning. He heard a twelve year old lad got hit trying to go to the toilet after the game as the Police were getting unnecessarily aggressive and in his own words 'dying' for a response. Obviously hope that no bairn has been hit but will be amazed if no adult supporter didn't get a crack somewhere along the line.

Aye a few did. Talking to a lad said he had been clipped in the nappa had a headache from hell.

Next thing on plane he topples over and had medical attention about 1 hour later they get him up and crash face down out. Looked like we would be diverted, para medics took him off plane at Newcastle.

I think Benitez is a risk. He's volatile and could alienate everybody within the first week in the job. Granted we don't have a dressing room full of tits like his former clubs so his authority may hold. But I'm happy with Pardew and don't see any need to change things. Pardew has done well since he got here and just once I would like us to stick with a manager for awhile.

Been incensed with some of our tactics this season but cant disagree with your last sentence. With whats gone on over the last 10 years you just want a bit of stability at the club. Look at Moyes' first few years at Everton for instance.

Mind all that wont matter if we go down again.

Eh?

Bastard. Was supposed to be working down south this week so hadn't got a ticket. The silver lining to being Ill was that I'd be home for the game. Never thought it would sell out especially after the first leg result.

If it was just bruising is it really a risk?

It could be. Really would rather beat the mackems and secure our place in the Premiership. Would like to win both ideally but for me it's the Premier League first, this time.