The Road To Amsterdam ArenA (UEFA Europa League 2013) - THE END

Aeris

The lack of passion, of actually giving a fuck was palpable for me. I'd liken it to the game against Roma at a similar stage a few years ago. Then there was hunger, tonight there was fuck all. Please dont get me wrong, I'm over the moon we won and would love to stick it up a media who see us as a distinct 'other' in this competition.

The curse of cheap tickets. You can see how different the make-up of the crowd is for European games now.

Lads in their 20s and 30s who would have bought themselves one £30 ticket and gone with their mates can now get the wife and bairn a ticket too for not much more, or their Dad if he's apensioner. These lads would have had a few pints in them before and been vocal through the game. Now they're sober as a judge and making sure the little one is alright, not wanting to swear or look daft with their family in tow.

So it's down to the teenage kids to fill that gap, but they're too busy taking their shoes off and po-go-ing. The ones who've heard the odd joke and don't know when to let it lie. Where the shout of "shoot" when someone gets space 40+ yards out would usually be a bit of a laugh referencing back to some luck a player had the week before, and only a few people would make that joke...on European nights it becomes a full throated exhortation from half the stadium irrespective of the players ability/history.

It's a bit like here really. Still a majority of good lads that have been going for years who you'd gladly sit next to...spoiled by the odd bairn that's never been to a game in their life talking shit loudly and frequently.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right at a computer so I can let loose.

I thought overall we were dog shit last night. We gave the ball away far too easily putting ourselves under lot's of pressure. Main culprits being Haidara, Tiote, Santon, Mbiwa and Sissoko.

We also seemed to lack the intelligence to pick the right option in the final third, I lost count of the number of openings Cisse and later Campbell found for the ball carrier to ignore them and just run into a bunch of Anzhi players and lose the ball.

Marveaux played some good stuff bit also was guilty of stupid decisions.

Steven Taylor was by far our best player beyond solid performance.

Jonas was immense in the Cabaye role best period of play I have seen from him in ages.

Hope Cisse is not in a mood with Newcastle for some stupid reason.

Right at a computer so I can let loose.

I thought overall we were dog shit last night. We gave the ball away far too easily putting ourselves under lot's of pressure. Main culprits being Haidara, Tiote, Santon, Mbiwa and Sissoko.

We also seemed to lack the intelligence to pick the right option in the final third, I lost count of the number of openings Cisse and later Campbell found for the ball carrier to ignore them and just run into a bunch of Anzhi players and lose the ball.

Marveaux played some good stuff bit also was guilty of stupid decisions.

Steven Taylor was by far our best player beyond solid performance.

Jonas was immense in the Cabaye role best period of play I have seen from him in ages.

Hope Cisse is not in a mood with Newcastle for some stupid reason.

All you've let us know is that in your assessment of a game you completely ignore the role of the opposition. The idea that our ball carriers were just running into the opposition players rather than being intelligently closed down reveals a massive lack of perspective on last night's game.

We were not that good because they were very good. For those (on NO mainly) complaining about the aesthetics of the game, imagine being an Anji fan. They play to win, not to please the eye. What we achieved last night was probably the hardest task of the 8 teams who qualified for the Quarters. I am not going to go overboard about our performance because i agree we were lucky but to cast the whole game as us playing shit is a nonsense.

You do understand what they were doing last night, how good they were at it and subsequently what that meant for us when those tactics are implemented so effectively? If we had played free flowing attacking football, Hiddink would be considered a shit manager.

All you've let us know is that in your assessment of a game you completely ignore the role of the opposition. The idea that our ball carriers were just running into the opposition players rather than being intelligently closed down reveals a massive lack of perspective on last night's game.

We were not that good because they were very good. For those (on NO mainly) complaining about the aesthetics of the game, imagine being an Anji fan. They play to win, not to please the eye. What we achieved last night was probably the hardest task of the 8 teams who qualified for the Quarters. I am not going to go overboard about our performance because i agree we were lucky but to cast the whole game as us playing shit is a nonsense.

You do understand what they were doing last night, how good they were at it and subsequently what that meant for us when those tactics are implemented so effectively? If we had played free flowing attacking football, Hiddink would be considered a shit manager.

Did you watch the actual game?Did you not notice the times we played awful passes straight to them?Running into a group instead of playing the ball to a free man that's because of the opposition is it?Oh right well you are obviously the font of all football knowledge then I assume you work in football as a top class coach or after natch summariser your knowledge is so inciteful.

Did you watch the actual game?Did you not notice the times we played awful passes straight to them?Running into a group instead of playing the ball to a free man that's because of the opposition is it?Oh right well you are obviously the font of all football knowledge then I assume you work in football as a top class coach or after natch summariser your knowledge is so inciteful.

Watched it and managed to not interpret everything that went on through MYM and Tiote giving 2 shocking balls away in dangerous positions. We were lucky not to have been punished for those mistakes. We were only shite if you try to imagine that we are the bestest team in the world and we should be beating these peasants from Dagestan.

At this stage of the competition, no teams are seeded and clubs from the same association can be pitted against each other. The first side drawn in each tie will play the first leg at home, on 4 April, with the return matches a week later. All the draw proceedings will be transmitted live on UEFA.com. Our live DrawCentre will also bring you the full build-up and reaction from Nyon. The UEFA Champions League draw begins at 12.00CET.