The Road To Amsterdam ArenA (UEFA Europa League 2013) - THE END

Aeris

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only managed to listen to the last 20 mins on the radio last night cos I was at work but as we scored I screamed "Fucking get in!!" so loud that 3 colleagues came running down the corridor thinking I was being attacked.

Thankfully there weren't any patients around at the time :blush2:

Love this pic too...

next_zps87a6348a.jpg

I think you have to realise that they were a good team that were far too quick for us. That led us to make mistakes (most notably and regularly from Tiote). We were poor with the ball at times too so it was a bit of them being good and bit of us in some areas being poor (similar areas as we were on Sunday).

But we also had positives in the was we defended a lot of the time (particularly Saylor who was outstanding), and the way we kept at them.

I think overall we just about deserved it. We had probably the best chances for Taylor at the start of the second half and the end of the first and the most of the play. But we certainly should be happy with putting out a team as good as they were.

Maybe they've been priced out of attending as regularly as they once did, and now have more loyalty to some boozer with ESPN. Thats where the Premier league and the tv comapnies have placed these folks' former loyalty to the club. Now even as a one off they cant be arsed to turn up and have been replaced by people who tut and whinge if you stand up and try to get behind the team. Changed days. It can be a bit strange going to games nowadays.

More people stood last night than PL games. More loyalty to a boozer? Nar! Cant be arsed go to the match. At least the ones that turned up got off thier arses. Exactly the same thing happend the season we got PSV in the Quarters, Marsialles in the semis, round of 16 was good numbers but shit atmosphere then quarters and semis were absolutley rockin. same this season i suspect

next_zps87a6348a.jpg

Let me tell you something else. I've seen a lot of spinals, Dude, and this guy is a fake. A fucking goldbricker. This guy fucking walks. I've never been more certain of anything in my life!

Walk, you fucking phony!

Stay away from me, mister!

The curse of cheap tickets. You can see how different the make-up of the crowd is for European games now.

Lads in their 20s and 30s who would have bought themselves one £30 ticket and gone with their mates can now get the wife and bairn a ticket too for not much more, or their Dad if he's apensioner. These lads would have had a few pints in them before and been vocal through the game. Now they're sober as a judge and making sure the little one is alright, not wanting to swear or look daft with their family in tow.

So it's down to the teenage kids to fill that gap, but they're too busy taking their shoes off and po-go-ing. The ones who've heard the odd joke and don't know when to let it lie. Where the shout of "shoot" when someone gets space 40+ yards out would usually be a bit of a laugh referencing back to some luck a player had the week before, and only a few people would make that joke...on European nights it becomes a full throated exhortation from half the stadium irrespective of the players ability/history.

It's a bit like here really. Still a majority of good lads that have been going for years who you'd gladly sit next to...spoiled by the odd bairn that's never been to a game in their life talking shit loudly and frequently.

nothing wrong with pogoing. when else are the young uns meant start going and getting match experience, we've all done it

Lazio have a game left behind closed doors. Fenerbache and Lazio are good places to get stabbed too. Benfica or Basle would be canny

Historically one of the great European clubs like,

More people stood last night than PL games. More loyalty to a boozer? Nar! Cant be arsed go to the match. At least the ones that turned up got off thier arses. Exactly the same thing happend the season we got PSV in the Quarters, Marsialles in the semis, round of 16 was good numbers but shit atmosphere then quarters and semis were absolutley rockin. same this season i suspect

the last 15-20 years has seen a massive change in the type of person who goes to games iyam. Am on about mags from the 80s who couldnt afford SJH's party post 92. Thats the ones I'm on about. The ones who gave up due to price, scheduling, palaver of having to get a ticket for every single fuckin game instead of just turning up at 2-50pm straight from the pub and paying £5. They created an atmosphere some of the young uns wouldnt beleive. Thats the ones that skytv priced out of it and now watch it down the pub. We can still kick up a great racket when we want to but its different . Maybe am just getting old.

the last 15-20 years has seen a massive change in the type of person who goes to games iyam. Am on about mags from the 80s who couldnt afford SJH's party post 92. Thats the ones I'm on about. The ones who gave up due to price, scheduling, palaver of having to get a ticket for every single fuckin game instead of just turning up at 2-50pm straight from the pub and paying £5. They created an atmosphere some of the young uns wouldnt beleive. Thats the ones that skytv priced out of it and now watch it down the pub. We can still kick up a great racket when we want to but its different . Maybe am just getting old.

And the summers were warmer ..... ;)

Newcastle is one of the most affordable football clubs to follow. Prices last night were cheap. I dont buy the cost argument since wages have risen in line with prices. Not seen anything to suggest Gemmill isnt spot on with his question on the whereabouts of this mythical superior breed of fan.

The change is societal, its not even football specific.

Newcastle is one of the most affordable football clubs to follow. Prices last night were cheap. I dont buy the cost argument since wages have risen in line with prices. Not seen anything to suggest Gemmill isnt spot on with his question on the whereabouts of this mythical superior breed of fan.

Spot on, only need look at your average village boozer as proof.

nothing wrong with pogoing. when else are the young uns meant start going and getting match experience, we've all done it

Aye, and we've all been looked down upon by the older fans.

I've got no problem with pogoing, or shoes off, or doing the shola and turning around when it's fresh and funny...but 10 years later man people still doing it like it's the Blaydon Races or summat. I cringe a little.

"Walking in a Robson wonderland" as well. Call me a miserable git, but....and this might be taboo.....I just fucking hate it when that still gets trotted out :lol: especially when we've got the holder of manager of the season stood on the sidelines.

I was at the game tonight. Decent turn out in numbers but if half the numbers have one iota of a clue about this great football club I'll be amazed. My biggest pride in my club was the support it generated from it's working class surroundings.

I'm pleased I really am but my pride in my club is civic and historical. There are people in the stands who have replaced a far superior breed in my humble opinion.

Couldn't agree more. Every single word.

Right at a computer so I can let loose.

I thought overall we were dog shit last night. We gave the ball away far too easily putting ourselves under lot's of pressure. Main culprits being Haidara, Tiote, Santon, Mbiwa and Sissoko.

We also seemed to lack the intelligence to pick the right option in the final third, I lost count of the number of openings Cisse and later Campbell found for the ball carrier to ignore them and just run into a bunch of Anzhi players and lose the ball.

Marveaux played some good stuff bit also was guilty of stupid decisions.

Steven Taylor was by far our best player beyond solid performance.

Jonas was immense in the Cabaye role best period of play I have seen from him in ages.

Hope Cisse is not in a mood with Newcastle for some stupid reason.

Who gives a fuck man!?! FFS. You were moaning before the game that we were definitely going to lose 2-1, and after we've won you're moaning because we were shit. Get some fuckin prozac doon ya neck 4fs! What would you prefer? A glorious Newcastle performance, ending in heroic defeat. We've been doing that for years pal and I know what's better. The Semi Final defeat to Chelsea in 2000 broke my heart more than any other because it was one of the greatest toon performances of the modern era, we should've won 4-0 but lost 2-1. We had 22 shots at goal to their 6 and lost.

We weren't great but I don't give a fuck, we WERE very very disciplined, after the first twenty minutes, while for the rest of the first half we were nervous, we had very good shape, we were difficult to break down, we were playing against undoubtedly superior opposition and Elliot didn't have a save to make till about 10 minutes to go. Pardew gets on my tits but he's got my full admiration for that performance, Anzhi were a good enough side to win that, I'm sure they'll win the Russian league and do well in the Champions League next season.

The absolute elation at the goal will live long in the memory, that is what we should focus on, not how difficult we found it with 4 players missing (who would've started) to break a very very good side down. I agree with all the comments in the media and Pards, that team would come in the top 5 of the Premier League, we should focus on the achievement rather the miserable fucking cunts, saying this wasn't right and we didn't that. Fucking pipe down.

Who gives a fuck man!?! FFS. You were moaning before the game that we were definitely going to lose 2-1, and after we've won you're moaning because we were shit. Get some fuckin prozac doon ya neck 4fs! What would you prefer? A glorious Newcastle performance, ending in heroic defeat. We've been doing that for years pal and I know what's better. The Semi Final defeat to Chelsea in 2000 broke my heart more than any other because it was one of the greatest toon performances of the modern era, we should've won 4-0 but lost 2-1. We had 22 shots at goal to their 6 and lost.

We weren't great but I don't give a fuck, we WERE very very disciplined, after the first twenty minutes, while for the rest of the first half we were nervous, we had very good shape, we were difficult to break down, we were playing against undoubtedly superior opposition and Elliot didn't have a save to make till about 10 minutes to go. Pardew gets on my tits but he's got my full admiration for that performance, Anzhi were a good enough side to win that, I'm sure they'll win the Russian league and do well in the Champions League next season.

The absolute elation at the goal will live long in the memory, that is what we should focus on, not how difficult we found it with 4 players missing (who would've started) to break a very very good side down. I agree with all the comments in the media and Pards, that team would come in the top 5 of the Premier League, we should focus on the achievement rather the miserable fucking cunts, saying this wasn't right and we didn't that. Fucking pipe down.

Shit!!! I agree with Stevie (apart from the Pardew on my tits bit).

Edited by Toonpack

Talking about potential to face an English team next the clueless nob in front of me said we'll have to face a higher standard of opponent at some point, as if he was watching us play tuppeny outfit like Celtic or something.

I do sort of agree about it being about society thing, Tony Blair was sort of right when he was talking about middle classness, but the point still stands.The ground redevelopment excluded a large swathe of the clubs core support. Where lads who were canny with their gyro and earned a bit on the side could have a few lunctime then afford £5 to stand in the scoreboard, thats not possible now. Thats when the change happened and those people mostly didnt come back as far as I can make out. If dole was say £30 a week in the late 80s, ticket prices were only a 6th of the weekly benefit. Its now £63, but if your paying £30 for a ticket, thats half. There were 10s of thousands who have replaced them, but as you say as society changed in the 90s the type of people going to the match subtlely changed too. A lot ended up watching the training at Durham Uni, but trainings all private now.