The Road To Amsterdam ArenA (UEFA Europa League 2013) - THE END

Aeris

That was a woeful second half from us. Why oh why do we not just attack, no we sit back and try and defend. Terrible tactics from Pardew.

What? Did you watch the game?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think they're as good as people were making them out to be before the game. I reckon we can do these lot at home. Not the best result, but not the worst either with the away goal. Let's take the positives from this game lads and hope for 3 points first up, this Sunday.

Definitely. They were no better than us and we looked far better for half an hour. I want to know why we stopped pressing they looked vulnerable every time we ran at them.

About what I expected but you're always disappointed by the details that lead to the results.

Not game over but will need a brilliant performance to get through.

I don't see how it should have been anything different than 3-1.

Maybe, maybe not. I suppose we did gift them two of their goals, though at the same time we were very unlucky for both of Cissé's post shots. Benfica certainly didn't win it on their own merits though. Jorge Jesus' hair upset me the most this evening.

I wouldn't say woeful but he's right about us stopping the attack.

Sitting back and being pegged back are two very different things.

Taylor annoys me, you just think he's maturing at long last then he does something stupid. He thinks he's better than he is, shouts at the rest of the team and blames everyone else when he fucks up and is dangerously exposed of his faults when he's not played next to an established, long term central defender.

I don't see how it should have been anything different than 3-1.

Yer joking aren't ye? Take away Santon's gifted to them back-pass and Saylor's deliberate penalty handball in the box, it could have been a 1 - 1 draw.

Again I have to question Pardieu's substitutions, when you're trailing 3 - 1 what does he hope to achieve by putting Amoeba in.

At least we have an away goal to build on next week.

Bit too much sloppy play today which didnn't serve us well.

That was a woeful second half from us. Why oh why do we not just attack, no we sit back and try and defend. Terrible tactics from Pardew.

I was waiting for someone to have a crack at Pardew. For once - not his fault at all! The tactics in place first half we perfect, should have been 2-0 but as soon as they scored, heads went down for some reason.

Second half - the tactics may have been slightly more cautious, but Pards didn't pass that ball back, nor stick an arm out.

Also have to take into consideration we're away from home, and have an away goal. No manager is going to send out a squad like ours to attack unnecessarily.

I fully believe we can win 2-0 at home. Everyone in that stadium though has to sing for 90 minutes to get the players up for it.

Maybe, maybe not. I suppose we did gift them two of their goals, though at the same time we were very unlucky for both of Cissé's post shots. Benfica certainly didn't win it on their own merits though. Jorge Jesus' hair upset me the most this evening.

You can say we were unlucky with our chances but ultimately Cisse's efforts just weren't good enough and two of our players ballsed up to offer Benfica gilt edged chances. If all three of those players hadve been slightly better then we would've won but sadly they weren't that good.

Chins up lads! It's the Quarters of the Europa League, we're playing the leaders of the Portuguese League and we still have a chance to make it to the semi-finals. We can do this in the second leg! Let's not be so pessimistic, today's result isn't the end of the world, especially since we played decently against a good side.

I'd be a lot more worried however if we didn't pick up 3 points this Sunday. That's an absolute must.

Had to make bait at half time , so I've been watching about 5-10 minutes behind.

Fucking furious at their 2nd and 3rd goals. Both absolutely avoidable.

We'll need to put in one of our seasons best performances to win this now, but its not beyond us yet.

I've ordered this for the next leg , CT.

trasam7.jpg

On the other hand we can look at it that the chances of having European footy next season have pretty much all but disappeared so in the long run we might have a better chance of winning something domestic and finishing higher up the league due to not having as many games... of course there's always the downside to that in the possibility of some of our decent players wanting European footy and going elsewhere. At the end of the day we can still blame Ashley and Llambias for this season's fuck-ups for not strengthening when we had the chance to build on things. Hey ho.

We invited them on to us like we have done all season.

Possession team + high line + pressing play.

Aye we invited them. Jesus Christ.

On the other hand we can look at it that the chances of having European footy next season have pretty much all but disappeared so in the long run we might have a better chance of winning something domestic and finishing higher up the league due to not having as many games... of course there's always the downside to that in the possibility of some of our decent players wanting European footy and going elsewhere. At the end of the day we can still blame Ashley and Llambias for this season's fuck-ups for not strengthening when we had the chance to build on things. Hey ho.

One thing comes into question though - are these players good enough to be playing European football? Because if they are, they should be performing a lot better than they are. Tonight, there were 7-8 internationals in our side, and only Krul showed a glimpse of that.

When you hear that Tiote/Cabaye/Santon/Krul are all wanted by other clubs, only Krul would be massively missed based on recent performances. The rest really need to up the anti and pull together.