The Road To Amsterdam ArenA (UEFA Europa League 2013) - THE END

Aeris

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, fine margins and all. Could easily have been 1-3 although they were the better side on the night.

At least we're still in it, I was sure the way things were going it was going to be 4 or 5 by the end of the game.

I can't help but feel we still haven't seen the best of Cabaye and probably won't ever. I don't know if it's because he's playing deep or it's because he thinks he is Alonso with his distribution. Very often, he tries some ridiculous balls that are never going to reach our player.

For me, he's class when on song, but he doesn't stamp his authority on games enough to be a world class player.

Also he's far too inconsistent for us. When he plays for France on the other hand, he looks like a much better player. Is it because of the players around him or is it because of his role in the team?

Yer joking aren't ye? Take away Santon's gifted to them back-pass and Saylor's deliberate penalty handball in the box, it could have been a 1 - 1 draw.

My point was that you can't take away those two incidents. They weren't bad luck, they were poor play. Taylor has previous form for handling the ball and Santon has been liable to drop a clanger for a while now. They weren't freak accidents, just sloppy from our own players and we deserved to concede because of it.

With the two shots that hit the post you could say that we we unlucky or you could say that if we had a player who was just slightly better then he would've guided the shots just an inch more inside the post.

Either way the score remains 3-1 and we're going to have to put in our performance of the season to overturn the deficit against this lot.

That was hard to take, two one on ones missed, post hit twice, two complete fuck ups out of the blue by Taylor and Santon. The big winner from tonight has to be the Mackems.

I thought Benfica won.

They did but we've an away goal and we've seen we can get in behind them, the tie isn't necessarily over. Meanwhile the Mackems can watch on as we go at it hammer and tongs a couple of days before the derby. But you knew all this by my post, Chez.

Can't blame luck to be honest. There have been several occasions where luck favoured us last season and a few times this season as well.

Fact of the matter is that we shouldn't have given away those sloppy goals.

I can't help but feel we still haven't seen the best of Cabaye and probably won't ever. I don't know if it's because he's playing deep or it's because he thinks he is Alonso with his distribution. Very often, he tries some ridiculous balls that are never going to reach our player.

For me, he's class when on song, but he doesn't stamp his authority on games enough to be a world class player.

Also he's far too inconsistent for us. When he plays for France on the other hand, he looks like a much better player. Is it because of the players around him or is it because of his role in the team?

Totally agree with you. We have seen glimpses of his ability to push up and inflict pain on teams but I think it's more to do with his instructions rather than suddenly becoming a poor player.

That was hard to take, two one on ones missed, post hit twice, two complete fuck ups out of the blue by Taylor and Santon. The big winner from tonight has to be the Mackems.

I agree, a good spanking is easier to take that what could have been. Cisse could have had four and two stupid individual errors as well. Gutted.

First goal was a poor one as well, aye it was unlucky it fell to their bloke but Krull got both hands behind the first shot, should have been pushed away not batted down in front. Basic goalkeeping rule that one.

First goal was a poor one as well, aye it was unlucky it fell to their bloke but Krull got both hands behind the first shot, should have been pushed away not batted down in front. Basic goalkeeping rule that one.

Aye but given the speed the ball was travelling at it's understandable why he was unable to push it out to the side, can't blame him too much.

I agree, a good spanking is easier to take that what could have been. Cisse could have had four and two stupid individual errors as well. Gutted.

Is it fuck, it was a reasonably encouraging performance and gives us hope for the second leg.

Aye but given the speed the ball was travelling at it's understandable why he was unable to push it out to the side, can't blame him too much.

Oh I'm not decrying him hugely, was a strange save all the same, his hands were balled into fists, if they'd been spread (a'la the Benfica goalie when he minutely deflected Cisse's effort) the ball would naturally have been deflected as opposed to blocked back. Looked strange as he was reaching yet his fists were balled up when the natural action would be to reach with spread hands.

Just struck me, at the time, that the way the ball came back from an airborne dive towards the side was a bit strange.

Loads of negativity, the result seems awful when u go 1 nil up, but a 2 nil win and were through. If we get the first goal next Thursday the stadium will b rocking and we could quite easily get the second. Its not over by a long stretch

Loads of negativity, the result seems awful when u go 1 nil up, but a 2 nil win and were through. If we get the first goal next Thursday the stadium will b rocking and we could quite easily get the second. Its not over by a long stretch

End of thread :jonas: