The Road To Amsterdam ArenA (UEFA Europa League 2013) - THE END

Aeris

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scared football. By that I assume you mean our early cautious approach against a quality technical side knowing that an away goal would pretty much end the tie.

Not a huge fan of Pardew but I think he got it right tonight.

You clearly no nothing about football so I'm actually annoyed that I've responded to you.

I'll never get the 3 minutes it has taken me to write this back. That saddens me.

:lol: Think of it as strolling across the green of a morning and humouring the village idiot. Its what he wants. Bless.

One thing though - I'm much more hopeful for Sunday after geting a nice reminder of our best player.

(Though he should be shot for missing the target with that chance)

We played well tonight. Brilliant tactics by Pardew and if Barfa had put in the back of the net I believe we would have be through tonight and that is no criticism of Barfa. I think the fact that I was on the edge of my seat and believed that there was hope we could go through against a team like Benfica, and we did come close, shows the positives we now have since the January arrivals. I am not the biggest fan of Pardew but I think that anyone who has a go at the approach he had tonight clearly knows nothing about football. I think we have bowed out gracefully and with spirit. Bring on Sunday!

I have to agree with CT to some extent.

Pardew was too negative from the off. It wa a starting 11 which was to contain. We were shit and had nothing to offer in the first half leaving FAR much to do in the second.

If we stood any chance of going through we needed a goal in the 1st period.

Instead of backing and instilling confidence to the side he bred negativity and worry. Nerves were evident. Especially in Cabaye who was fuckin awful tonight.

Pardew got it wrong. Lads have it all but end of the day we were not good enough or strong enough against a very good side.

But we didn't !

Yes but if it was possible for tactics to always work, every team would win every game. The point is, he gave us a chance of putting them out, and it was a close run thing in the end. I don't know what you're expecting? Going out 2-5 all guns blazing? I think that sort of scoreline would be the alternative.

I think we can be proud of our performance and especially proud of the fact that we almost beat one of the most in-form teams in Europe over 2 legs.

Just a little disappointed by how we played in the first half to be honest. Not the way we were set up but the way we played. \ I know Pard's tactics was to keep it tight early on, but we were struggling to keep the ball and there were a lot of long hopeful balls being played into the box with only Cisse to aim at.

Lots of positives to take. I felt our defence, Cisse, Marveaux, Fatem, Jonas were impressive. Quite disappointed by Cabaye's performance. I'm not too convinced about his deep-lying playmaker role. Would really like to see him further up the pitch.

Having said that, onwards and upwards from here. We play anything like this against the Scum and we'll rip them a new @rsehole!

Two mistakes in the first leg let us down, Benfica were beatable but we helped them through. They're a good team but certainly not better than us - if more English teams learnt to waste time, play the ref, cheat and generally whinge more I reckon more English teams would get further in the European competitions. However, I prefer our football to continental or South American because in my eyes diving and waving imaginary cards at refs should never be part of the game, it's not clever or an art, it's bloody cheating.

... getting back on to our game with Benfica mind, I was pessimistic before the match, pleasantly surprised during the match until the last 5-10 minutes then expectedly disappointed with the overall loss. The main thing now is we gub the mackems at the weekend, if we don't I can see the rest of the season being a real downer.

Yes but if it was possible for tactics to always work, every team would win every game. The point is, he gave us a chance of putting them out, and it was a close run thing in the end. I don't know what you're expecting? Going out 2-5 all guns blazing? I think that sort of scoreline would be the alternative.

He's been a negative manager all season man!

If it wasn't for injury time goals we'd be down already!

He's been a negative manager all season man!

If it wasn't for injury time goals we'd be down already!

Maybe so, but we're talking about just this game. Look, your opinion's fair enough - I get that his tactics aren't what you want to see. I'm reassured myself, it seemed like we had a plan at least, and one that nearly came off. He utilised the team and the mindset of the opponent well IMO.

Stick to karaoke/diets/fish/ricers cos your football. Knowledge is horrific

Aye, cos you were spot on with your first half "it's all going to plan" shite.

Cup football and negative scaredy cat tactics cost us the game. Back to your pinball machine. Something you understand.

For what it's worth I think Pards got it spot on, apart from Shola coming on. Think I might have tried Cambell, if we'd been more attacking earlier on though they'd have nicked a couple more goals on the break. Player-wise I find Cissé our most frustrating player with the amount of offsides he has.

For what it's worth I think Pards got it spot on, apart from Shola coming on. Think I might have tried Cambell, if we'd been more attacking earlier on though they'd have nicked a couple more goals on the break. Player-wise I find Cissé our most frustrating player with the amount of offsides he has.

Shola got the assist for our goal though and played well I thought. A rarity I know, but he looked up for it.