The Road To Amsterdam ArenA (UEFA Europa League 2013) - THE END

Aeris

I would rather he started both and we won 3-0

So would I in an ideal world. But the fact is, neither defend. So you take Anita and Bigi out from the first half, and all that running and defensive work they did. Likelihood is they would have scored. That was the one thing Pardew recognised, for both fans and players, if they scored first, we were done.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck right off with your "did us proud" shit.

Didn't do me proud.

We gave them the first half and "had a go" after 70 minutes when they shat themselves.

Marveaux should have started or do you think Bigi / Anita offered more?

I certainly won't be renewing to watch this restrained team next season. I wager you a few purple players will do the same.

You weren't even there you moron. We had a game plan that nearly worked: that was to draw the first half and win the second. This was all we could do with our limited resources and it almost worked.

Were you constantly ashamed all the times we capitulated under Keegan? Cos we did. What will you say if Benfica win this? 'There for the taking' my arse.

In all honesty, I hope you do quit next year, if tonight didn't give you pleasure despite the defeat then you're not fit to be a 'supporter' of this club.

Fuck off man, Stevie is saying we shouldn't be proud of going out to Benfica, you're saying we wouldn't have if we'd played Marveaux from the off. These two view points are not the same. He's saying Newcastle United (the entity) used to be a genuine force in Europe and that we're not now shouldn't be accompanied by pride when we are defeated, but a frustration that we're not where we once were.

You're saying that Pardew's tactical decisions meant that this version of the NUFC entity went out.

He's right (arguably)

You're not (inarguably)

'Used to be a genuine force'? When? 1969? I take it Stevie's been on the pop.

You weren't even there you moron. We had a game plan that nearly worked: that was to draw the first half and win the second. This was all we could do with our limited resources and it almost worked.

Were you constantly ashamed all the times we capitulated under Keegan? Cos we did. What will you say if Benfica win this? 'There for the taking' my arse.

In all honesty, I hope you do quit next year, if tonight didn't give you pleasure despite the defeat then you're not fit to be a 'supporter' of this club.

Oh fuck off back to your stained glass window Sooperfan.

"Nearly worked" isn't the same as worked!

What I don't understand about this pride in losing business is this. If we lost to Tottenham or Arsenal, who in my view have better squads than Benfica, and who are certainly infinitely richer, would you go home thinking, fuck me I was so proud of that? We played a tactical game first half with what we had, but we also played like rabbits in the headlights. We played against a side who Celtic put out of the Champions League and with a baying crowd (although no where near our European crowds of a decade ago) couldn't really muster one meaningful shot in the first hour. Well people can be as proud as they like, but I'll never be proud of losing to a team who make £30m a year less money than us, who we should've put out of the tie in the first half in Lisbon.

You can look at the details like our injury problems, but statements like "they're unbeaten since October". What? In the Portuguese League? So fuckin what? I repeat they're a canny side but CELTIC put them out of the Champions League. The day I'm proud of defeat where we only had a go for 25 minutes against a club we should consider no more than our equals is a day, I'll stop watching NUFC. It's modern life. People see we're in the Europa League QF, eeeh haven't we done well. It epitomises for me the ever increasing small time mentality of our fans that this is a major achievement. In the last 10 years Celtic, Rangers, Fulham and Middlesbrough have got to the FINAL of this competition, yet our fans are proud we made it to the last eight having faced ONE decent side to get there. Well I'm not proud. They can fuck off. We didn't under achieve, we didn't overachieve, we did what I expected and for that they deserve no undue praise.

Oh fuck off back to your stained glass window Sooperfan.

"Nearly worked" isn't the same as worked!

The old 'stained glass window meme'. About 5 years before you joined the board you odd ball.

It doesn't surprise me that you can't comprehend that football is a game settled on the narrowest of margins. Sometimes the overall performance and - importantly - the context of this are more informative than the viddy printer.

Wines gone, time for bed, Stevie you should post more.

Goodnight all.

:lol:

You don't realise he hasn't backed up your opinions what-so-ever.

His point is that NUFC should be beating Benfica.

Not that Marveaux's absence from the start (or Pardew's tactics) were the reason for our failure to get past a side that plays in the Portuguese league.

Now I disagree with his assertion that Benfica aren't a good side, (in my opinion they are) especially when Cardozo is playing. However, don't see Stevie's frustration as mitigation of your footballing idiocy.

The old 'stained glass window meme'. About 5 years before you joined the board you odd ball.

It doesn't surprise me that you can't comprehend that football is a game settled on the narrowest of margins. Sometimes the overall performance and - importantly - the context of this are more informative than the viddy printer.

Can your pea like brain not comprehend that had the tactics not been to surrender for 70 minutes then go gung Ho to get two goals in 20 minutes, we may not have been so open to the counter attack.

We could have played a steadier game with Marveaux from the start and got the goals required without the gung Ho approach.

:lol:

You don't realise he hasn't backed up your opinions what-so-ever.

His point is that NUFC should be beating Benfica.

Not that Marveaux's absence from the start (or Pardew's tactics) were the reason for our failure to get past a side that plays in the Portuguese league.

Now I disagree with his assertion that Benfica aren't a good side, (in my opinion they are) especially when Cardozo is playing. However, don't see Stevie's frustration as mitigation of your footballing idiocy.

He hasn't gone into detail about how we should have best them, but his post is a wet cod around the chops for all you fawning pardewites.

If he had done what you said, and we lost 3-0, would Pardew still be an idiot, or would you state that Benfica were just better?

I don't think anyone believes Benfica to be a better team - they just have less baggage than we do, and we made it difficult for ourselves from the first leg.

He hasn't gone into detail about how we should have best them, but his post is a wet cod around the chops for all you fawning pardewites.

Then, unsurprisingly, you miss the cadence of his post.

It's not anti-Pardew (per-se) it's anti-modern Newcastle United and Newcastle fan ambition. He wants a return to the days of pushing Barcelona, of Feyenoord (remember that night? course not, silly me), and all that came with those amazing adventures.

You want Shane fucking Ferguson to play on the wing.

His point isn't yours, and yours certainly isn't his.

What I don't understand about this pride in losing business is this. If we lost to Tottenham or Arsenal, who in my view have better squads than Benfica, and who are certainly infinitely richer, would you go home thinking, fuck me I was so proud of that? We played a tactical game first half with what we had, but we also played like rabbits in the headlights. We played against a side who Celtic put out of the Champions League and with a baying crowd (although no where near our European crowds of a decade ago) couldn't really muster one meaningful shot in the first hour. Well people can be as proud as they like, but I'll never be proud of losing to a team who make £30m a year less money than us, who we should've put out of the tie in the first half in Lisbon.

You can look at the details like our injury problems, but statements like "they're unbeaten since October". What? In the Portuguese League? So fuckin what? I repeat they're a canny side but CELTIC put them out of the Champions League. The day I'm proud of defeat where we only had a go for 25 minutes against a club we should consider no more than our equals is a day, I'll stop watching NUFC. It's modern life. People see we're in the Europa League QF, eeeh haven't we done well. It epitomises for me the ever increasing small time mentality of our fans that this is a major achievement. In the last 10 years Celtic, Rangers, Fulham and Middlesbrough have got to the FINAL of this competition, yet our fans are proud we made it to the last eight having faced ONE decent side to get there. Well I'm not proud. They can fuck off. We didn't under achieve, we didn't overachieve, we did what I expected and for that they deserve no undue praise.

I agree with this, Benfica are about our level even with our injuries - meaning that full strength we're likely to be a better side.

Also not particularly proud about getting to the QF. Or about losing on aggregate. What I am pleased with, is that Pardew made a decent fist of getting us through tonight (and I maintain tactically, did everything right), and that he has managed to accomplish something in the past couple of seasons that the previous 5 or 6 (I forget, but since Bobby) managers have been unable to do.

In my mind, this suggests that we are making progress as a club, and have finally halted the startling downward trend. Next year we can consolidate and shoot up the league - and the Europa run might be enough to attract a few more good players.

Agree with the sentiment Stevie. I understand Pardews approach. I was pissed when I first saw the team sheet and on twitter I was saying if HBA, Marv + Perch were fit, then why the fuck not have them playing. I would liked to have seen us do what we done in the last 25 in the first 25. Get the big players on from the start. But, like I say I do get what AP was doing but cant help but feel the whole approach was with one eye on Sunday. I think we are safe in the league and while personally, I'd like us to have went to the Semi final whether it meant we were fucked on Sunday or not but the club I think see Sundays game as giving us safety in the prem with a lot of £££ at stake with the new TV money coming in. So, I get that, but it leaves me a bit flat.

On the feeling proud thing, I have no issue with any player that played. We gave it all under APs approach and while I wouldnt say I was massively proud, I think we go to the next game with our heads high and certainly no disgrace. We didnt roll over and I do think we're now set up well for our next prem game.

I do like Benfica though. They are a good side and I'd certainly hold them higher than Basel for example. Good set of fans and they played some canny stuff. But cant help but think that in both games when we stepped it up when had them on the back foot.

Like said, its a good platform for us, good experience for the club. Good experience for Pardew and the owners and younger players. Now hopefully with more strengthening in the summer we can fight next season to push back up the table.

Is the Portugese league any better than the Swiss league?...Basel are only one point clear of the side in second place in their league and they just knocked Spurs out. Can't see Basel's income being bigger than Spurs. This proves nowt, but Spurs are viewed as being a good side and as you in a way point out above, theres no fuckin way they should be getting beat off Basel. In the same way Spurs are viewed as a good side, Arsenal are viewed as shite, despite Arsenal having more of good chance of finishing 4th yet again, behind 2 sides where money is no object and manu, possibly where they should come in the natural order of things. Cup competitions are less predictable and Pardew had to be safety first last night due to Santon and Taylor's failure to keep things tight in Lisbon. Fulham beat Juventus on the way to their final, so did we in the champions league. In the end you can cherry pick loads of facts and stats but cup football makes little logic.