Holidays 2013

Christmas Tree

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Got back from 5 days in Barcelona today, absolutely fantastic, could have easily stayed for 10 days, amazing apartment, food and city

missed the snow aswell

One of my favourite cities along with New York

Just booked a week in Tenerife in June. 5* hotel in Costa Adeje rather than a bedsit in Las Americas

Siam Park is the best water park I've ever been to btw. Shits on the Disney water parks etc.

One of my favourite cities along with New York

Just booked a week in Tenerife in June. 5* hotel in Costa Adeje rather than a bedsit in Las Americas

Siam Park is the best water park I've ever been to btw. Shits on the Disney water parks etc.

Just had a week at the Roca Nivaria, there were some other places I would have preferred but the baby/mini-club swung it. Weather was awesome for time of year. Nice Spa, few games of tennis, round of golf. Got a couple of good restaurant recommends if your're interested. We did half board as we wanted to get out an about, the interior of the island is really amazing. We got a suite at the hotel and they upgraded us to a superior suite which apparently they do if the hotel is not full. Was excellent if not a little bit expensive for a week. Not exactly perfect but to be expected given the size. I complained about an incident on the last night at one of the restaurants, 30 minutes later a bottle of champagne and a load of strawberries were delivered to the room which was cool.

Just had a week at the Roca Nivaria, there were some other places I would have preferred but the baby/mini-club swung it. Weather was awesome for time of year. Nice Spa, few games of tennis, round of golf. Got a couple of good restaurant recommends if your're interested. We did half board as we wanted to get out an about, the interior of the island is really amazing. We got a suite at the hotel and they upgraded us to a superior suite which apparently they do if the hotel is not full. Was excellent if not a little bit expensive for a week. Not exactly perfect but to be expected given the size. I complained about an incident on the last night at one of the restaurants, 30 minutes later a bottle of champagne and a load of strawberries were delivered to the room which was cool.

We are in the Gran Adeje. Did you get down to Rockys on the beach? Best place to watch the footie in Adeje

• 2 months later...

Looking for somewhere fairly cheap and George Michael for the summer for two people to doss about, see the sights and get fat and merry. Thinking along the lines of Prague but having already done it, would be canny to get something different. Though the lager was £1.20 a pint last time so I'll gladly do it again.

can anyone recommend any good five star family friendly hotel resorts for late september? i'm looking for something with guaranteed good weather, so maybe greece, cyprus or the canaries, with a decent spa, a mix of at least 4 or 5 different restaurants, good facilities for childrn and in a location with some nice places to explore near by.

not much to ask then :lol:

can anyone recommend any good five star family friendly hotel resorts for late september? i'm looking for something with guaranteed good weather, so maybe greece, cyprus or the canaries, with a decent spa, a mix of at least 4 or 5 different restaurants, good facilities for childrn and in a location with some nice places to explore near by.

not much to ask then :lol:

Going here in 2 weeks

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g662606-d291481-Reviews-Costa_Adeje_Gran_Hotel-Costa_Adeje_Tenerife_Canary_Islands.html

5* hotel, almost guaranteed good weather and reasonably priced

Looking for somewhere fairly cheap and George Michael for the summer for two people to doss about, see the sights and get fat and merry. Thinking along the lines of Prague but having already done it, would be canny to get something different. Though the lager was £1.20 a pint last time so I'll gladly do it again.

Vilnius is great if you can get the flights. Not a huge amount to see there (though still plenty of churches, museums, castles just outside the city etc.) but food and drink are abundant and good and cheap, for now at least.

Vilnius is great if you can get the flights. Not a huge amount to see there (though still plenty of churches, museums, castles just outside the city etc.) but food and drink are abundant and good and cheap, for now at least.

Cheers, darling. They're the kind of places I, especially, love. Worth it just to take in some of the architecture as far as I'm concerned.

Holiday done report follows:

Memphis – bit of a shithole to be honest, couple of blocks from the centre and there’s grass a foot high growing out of the pavements and broken glass everywhere. Graceland is right in the middle of “da hood” (as I was later told by my barber in Nashville), had an interesting drive there as highway was shut for a major smash and satnav kept trying to take us back to it.

Popped into Wallmart down the road from Graceland to pick up some beer/nibbles etc. for the hotel room, it was chocker, Mrs went to restroom so I stood around with trolley and waited and after a few minutes it dawned on me, “I am the only white fucker in here” interesting feeling being a minority with VERY noticeable gangsta types all over the place.

Central BBQ, best ribs in the history of my rib eating life EVER.

BB Kings Blues Bar, best bar by the country mile, great music (really, really, good bands) brilliant sound system, loud enough to hear crystal clear, but not too loud to not be able to talk. Absolutely shite food.

Nashville – truly lovely city, great bars great music (although the propensity for bands with squawky lasses singing wears a bit thin) expensive booze $5 a beer and $7 for a Jack’n’coke. Bands start at 11.00 am through to 1.00 am (2 at weekend) hour or so each band, some bars one band upstairs and one downstairs. AND I could smoke my ceegars in most of them, which was a pleasant change. Best bit - Johnny Cash Museum, went as a sort of “Oh we’re here, we should go and it was on the way to the hotel” was actually quite moving, Mrs had a tear in her eye at the end of it, didn’t help it was Hurt playing at the final exhibits mind.

Cabin and Smokey Mountains – Absolutely stunning!!! could easily have stayed another week. Cabin absolute silence and majestic view, 15 minutes away Gatlinburg which is like Aviemore on steroids, 15 mins the other way Pigeon Forge which is like the 192 and International drive in Kissimee/Orlando combined (and a big bit tacky tbh just like the 192).

Obviously never get Brits there we were asked “Where you from/Love your accent” literally everywhere we went.

Extremely “bible belt” (can’t by liquor in Tennesse on a Sunday and several places are “dry”) but Southern hospitality is not a myth, the people were lovelly BUT everything is VERY slooooow, don’t expect to pay for your petrol in less than 5 minutes per person ahead of you in the queue.

Lots do wear dungarees to go out, wear caps have mullets and missing teeth and many variations of strange staring eyes also there really are rocking chairs on all the front porches.

Mountains feel very like Central/Western Highlands as does driving through them, single track roads in lots of places less visible rock than Scotland and pointier/higher mountains with forest right over the top of them. Forest like I’ve never seen, walk in 50 yards and you wouldn’t find your way out. Loads of hiking trails (Renton would love it) from 200 yds to 3 miles to various points of interest, but “be bear aware”. (Never did see a bear sadly)

Lots of old “homesteads” preserved in the park, amazing some of them like “why’d they settle up here and how the ferk did they get here through this forest etc”. Would deffo go back (not Memphis though)

Edited by Toonpack

Jealous, sounds like you had a great time. I did the Jack Daniels distillery and Graceland when I was in that neck of the woods but it was only a flying visit

Was great, would go back at the drop of a hat. If anyone was thinking of going to Memphis I'd do maybe couple of nights, one day and you can do Sun Studios, Civil rights Museum and Graceland and a night or two on Beale Street well more than enough. Until we did Graceland I'd forgotten what a HUGE star Elvis actually was and he had way more money than he knew what to do with, 24 carrat gold buckles on his plane seatbelts (and his taps/bog) FFS !!! and his cars................ wow!!

Flying to Milan, got a couple of nights in a b+b near Ravenna, then down to a villa in La Marche for a week. Then up to Florence for 4 nights in an agrotourismo.

I absolutely love Italy, can't wait. It's a lot of driving but I think I've broken it up pretty sensibly.

Flying to Milan, got a couple of nights in a b+b near Ravenna, then down to a villa in La Marche for a week. Then up to Florence for 4 nights in an agrotourismo.

I absolutely love Italy, can't wait. It's a lot of driving but I think I've broken it up pretty sensibly.

Can you truly use "sensibly" in a sentence about driving in Italy ?? ;)