Holidays 2013

Christmas Tree

Nowt wrong with it!

Just prefer to do my own thing and have done for more years than I can remember.

I love all the sorting flights, car, accommodation, you can fly on days that suit you more and for as many days as you like.

But the big thing is that you feel like you are travelling and it takes me back to my backpacking days 30 years ago!!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right Chezman, thinking of staying either here:http://www.ares-paris-hotel.com/

Or here:http://en.luxembourg-paris-hotel.com/

I prefer the latter just cos no one has a bad word to say about it on TripAdvisor. Anyway am I doing alright on location here? Both seem well served by the metro.

Never been to Paris before so we're mainly just gonna be getting out to see the sights and eating like pigs.

Thanks in advance.

@@ChezGiven

The one near Jardin de Luxembourg. You are 5 mins walk away from Saint Germain, the cafes, bars etc around rue de buci / rue de seine are lush. Also close to Boulevard St Michel for loads of pubs, bars and late night going out places. The metro from Mabillon will take you to the Eiffel Tower. Good for ile de la cite, not so great for champs élysées and grand palais etc but its not exactly far. The city itself is surprisingly small.

You're also near Le Relais D'Entrecote just next to St Germain metro which is the best steak and chips in the world and a great experience for eating. (20 rue saint-Benoit - you can't book and there is no menu for starter or main, you only get to choose how the steak is cooked).

Take a walk through the park, past the Pantheon, towards Place Monge, jardins des plantes and you end up at the Quai where Concrete is, one of the best house / tecni nights in Europe ;)

The one near Jardin de Luxembourg. You are 5 mins walk away from Saint Germain, the cafes, bars etc around rue de buci / rue de seine are lush. Also close to Boulevard St Michel for loads of pubs, bars and late night going out places. The metro from Mabillon will take you to the Eiffel Tower. Good for ile de la cite, not so great for champs élysées and grand palais etc but its not exactly far. The city itself is surprisingly small.You're also near Le Relais D'Entrecote just next to St Germain metro which is the best steak and chips in the world and a great experience for eating. (20 rue saint-Benoit - you can't book and there is no menu for starter or main, you only get to choose how the steak is cooked).Take a walk through the park, past the Pantheon, towards Place Monge, jardins des plantes and you end up at the Quai where Concrete is, one of the best house / tecni nights in Europe ;)

Would agree with all of this. Around/Mabillon is a great area. My Mrs' family have an apartment near Rue de Buci so we are there every month or two. Rue Guisarde (near Mabillon metro) is very good for good quality reasonably priced restaurants.

Can recommend some places to watch the football too if you wish to spoil your weekend.

:lol: I barely watch it when I'm at home this days, so I don't think setting aside an afternoon in Paris would go down well. Cheers though!

Sounds like this hotel is in a good spot though. Gonna get it all booked tonight.

Any specific bar/restaurant recommendations welcome. Definitely gonna try that steak and chips place cheers Chez.

i was considering looking at cyprus. any recommendations?

Sorry about the delayed response, Gloomy.

Get a car as driving over there is a piece of piss, hire a Villa or apartment and when you're not chilling around a pool have a drive through the mountains whilst visiting the odd historic site or stopping for something to eat.

Well there's no excuse for you being late for mass in the morning ;-) Looks lovely.

I'm currently contemplating a trip to LA in Feb time. The prices are reasonable and weather decent compared to the shit UK weather at the time. The problem is that I've never previously seen any attraction in visiting LA. it all looked a bit shit to me. It'd be a 7 day trip but really only 5 days there. It looks worth a go for the price.

There are few things to do in LA. You need a car though. Only downside of that is the traffic is horrific.

Does three days at the RIAT in Fairford count? Had a great time anyway :jonas:

Hoping to get away in September but can't find a hotel/location I fancy.

• 1 month later...

Its as good a place as any. Pm me your budget and i will recommend some hotels / areas for you.

Nothing finalised as yet, just saw the Eurostar were doing some cracking prices so thought I might pop over.

For a sightseeing eating out trip like this, I'm really only bothered about putting my head down for the night as I would even prefer to go out for breakfast than stay in.

ie a travelodge would be ideal :)

Saw one called the Hotel Rivoli (On Rude de Rivoli) at £100 a night which would do me fine and sounded a canny location for sightseeing.

Did the same in Brugge and literally spent only sleep time in the hotel.

So if you know of anything better located at similar money then great.

Naturally I'll give you firm dates nearer the time to allow you to order meat / wine etc. :)

Its as good a place as any. Pm me your budget and i will recommend some hotels / areas for you.

@@Gemmill have you sorted your trip out yet or did your lass lose interest?

Aye it's booked! Staying here:

http://en.luxembourg-paris-hotel.com/

Cheers for the help btw, this seemed like the best place for restaurants, bars and just getting around.