Holidays 2013

Christmas Tree

Nice view for lunch the week before last, Stari Most, Mostar, Bosnia-Herzogovina:

WP_000156_zpse226f6ee.jpg

We arrived at 1pm at the bridge on a day trip from Dubrovnik, just in time for the call to prayer to wail out from the mosque. Went to the museum just on the Muslim side where we watched a video of the Croats destroying the bridge in late 1993. Very evocative and humbling. The banner on the side of the bridge says "don't forget Srebenica 11-07-1995". We were there the week of the anniversary, which was particularly sobering. I remember watching the bridge being blown up on the news in the nineties, never thought I'd get the chance to visit it.

After we'd been in the mueseum and had lunch, we wandered around the mosque and old town and bought a few trinkets before heading back towards the bridge to re join our bus. We noticed a local with blood on his face being placated by some women in a shop doorway, when suddenly he ran back down the hill towards the bridge where he proceded to kick the shit out of a bloke stood in the doorway of the museum! Had the missus with me so got back up to the top of the bridge a bit sharpish in case it err "escalated". A Russian lad in our party said he saw the police turn up and commented that he thought that the attack was "political", which is as a good a euphamism as I've heard :lol: Think huge strides have been made since the war, but looks like you cant stop people from hating each other.

The folk on the bridge are putting cash into a hat passed round by local lads who, when theyve got 30-40 euros from the tourists, they jump the 25 metres into the River Nerverta.

This is the video we watched in the museum:

Dubrovnik was great too, all in all a brilliant holiday. Did day trips to 4 islands and spent a few days in the city itself which is a gem. Chilled out at our apartment at Zaton Bay the rest of the time. If you're ever in the area though I'd advise a trip to Mostar is a must though, very thought provoking.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flying to Milan 31st July, picking up car then off to Stresa for 2 nights on Lake Maggiore, then Levanto on the Tuscan coast, up to Barga then Florence and finally a week in a cottage in Maremma national park.

So looking forward to this!!!

Flying to Milan 31st July, picking up car then off to Stresa for 2 nights on Lake Maggiore, then Levanto on the Tuscan coast, up to Barga then Florence and finally a week in a cottage in Maremma national park.

So looking forward to this!!!

I'm at the Swiss end of Lake Maggiore from August 1st. I shall give you a camp wave (by which I mean a wave from our campsite).

In all seriousness though, it's the Swiss national day on August 1st and apparently they do a huge firework display over the lake from Ascona, so that could be worth looking out for.

Due to Mrs. Fist being concerned over our kids + heat, ( i.e. she's a fucking mentalist!),we are spending 7 nights in a log cabin in Linlithgow. :lol:

As a result of our nippers not dying/combusting etc in the heatwave, I am now insisting we are going abroad next year, even if its just to northern France.

Just booked flights for Gran Canaria, the week before Christmas - cheap and cheerful bit of winter warmth (not even that bothered about the sun part of it really). Resort/accommodation recommendations always welcome!

i'm off to one of the greek islands in late september. anyone been to Kefalonia, Zakynthos or Lefkada?

Hi Dr Gloom

I have been to all 3, the one I liked the best was Lefkada which is reachable by a small causeway the beaches are fantastic and not commercial a car is a must to get the best out of the island.

Kefalonia is also very nice with excellent beaches Skala being particularly nice, Fiscardo is a lovely harbour with lot of yachts coming and going and lovely tavernas around the harbour, if you opt for Lefkada you can get the ferry over to Fiscardo and spend the day there well worth a visit.

Zakynthos was many years ago and I think this has been changed over the years and is probably the most commercial of the 3 islands that you have mentioned.

I'm at the Swiss end of Lake Maggiore from August 1st. I shall give you a camp wave (by which I mean a wave from our campsite).

In all seriousness though, it's the Swiss national day on August 1st and apparently they do a huge firework display over the lake from Ascona, so that could be worth looking out for.

I will keep an eye out for the wave!!

Oh and the fireworks!

Hi Dr Gloom

I have been to all 3, the one I liked the best was Lefkada which is reachable by a small causeway the beaches are fantastic and not commercial a car is a must to get the best out of the island.

Kefalonia is also very nice with excellent beaches Skala being particularly nice, Fiscardo is a lovely harbour with lot of yachts coming and going and lovely tavernas around the harbour, if you opt for Lefkada you can get the ferry over to Fiscardo and spend the day there well worth a visit.

Zakynthos was many years ago and I think this has been changed over the years and is probably the most commercial of the 3 islands that you have mentioned.

nice one! cheers BigAl

Hey Big Al. The mrs and I did a search today and found a lovely villa in lefkada. There don't appear to be direct flights out of London though. I it a ball ache to get to?

Right Chezman, thinking of staying either here:

http://www.ares-paris-hotel.com/

Or here:

http://en.luxembourg-paris-hotel.com/

I prefer the latter just cos no one has a bad word to say about it on TripAdvisor. Anyway am I doing alright on location here? Both seem well served by the metro.

Never been to Paris before so we're mainly just gonna be getting out to see the sights and eating like pigs.

Thanks in advance.

@@ChezGiven

Edited by Ant
inserted the @ alert thing so he sees it

Dr Gloom

I would take a look at Halkidiki, but not the first peninsula Kassandra which is where the package holiday companies go but the second peninsula Sithonia.

Fantastic beaches no English to speak of and you can fly into Thessaloniki which is served by Easyjet, B.A (Gatwick) & Ryanair (Stansted).

We have been a couple of times and if you are a beach lover it takes some beating!!

DSC_7675.jpg[/url]

DSC_75381.jpg[/url]

SithoniaDSC_2159.jpg[/url]

SithoniaDSC_2228.jpg[/url]

SithoniaDSC_2358.jpg[/url]

What's wrong with being a package holiday tourist? :lol:

There was a time when I was regarded as being one of the more snobby posters here. I've been overtaken by nearly everyone now.