Newcastle V Southampton

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Defensively, Debuchy has some weaknesses. Beaten in the air regularly and his positioning needs plenty of work. That said, his reputation from France is of a positionally poor full back, so it doesn't surprise.

He has a cracking first touch and can knock the ball around with ease, so I'm sure those weaknesses can be worked out over time. He is certainly a better option than Simpson.

Jonas was very poor I thought. And Santon gets caught out of position time and time again. Someone needs to cover him or he needs to stay in a defensive position.

Go on then, I'm intrigued. What did Jonas do wrong this time?

I saw him draw two fouls, getting two of them booked, as well as holding off a centre back prior to Cisse's goal. I also remember a quality through ball late in the first half that was only just intercepted.

Explain how he was poor.

Thought we were good today, Tiote a little lost at times, it took Taylor/Mbiwa ( what a player) took a while to gel. Gouffran continued from where he left off,. Debuchy showing his class today - it would have been a very different season had we signed him in Summer. Sissoko my man of the match - I think he's been man of the match in every game he's played. We looked pretty poor for a spell in the second half when we were sitting deep but we recovered & pushed up a bit more.

Nice to see Santon using his left a bit more - because contrary to bellends on twitter (@leazesterrace) he's a got a good one.

Cisse wondergoal apart was fairly poor & should have done better. He looked like he was running in quicksand at times but he's always been about movement not pace so he wasn't going to look great in what - essentially - was kick & rush from our lot.

Southampton are a pretty neat team with some good players so it's a good result & their first goal was a peach so it's a good result.

Bit worrying at times, especially when they got the early goal and then tied it up with their second. There were times they were playing better than we were especially at the start of the second half.

Never mind though, it was a great result and we've moved above Blunderland.

Santon did alright but he was a bit dodgy in his positional play.

Jonas was a bit disappointing, I think he should be the one making room for BenArfa.

Debuchy is a class above Wilson.

Hip hip hooray Tiote didn't get a card, and he played better than he has been.

Elliot didn't disgrace himself or let us down.

Saylor and Yanga might prove to be a better duo than Saylor and Colo, and it's probably what we'll have next season if Colo's away to the pampas.

Bit worrying at times, especially when they got the early goal and then tied it up with their second. There were times they were playing better than we were especially at the start of the second half.

Never mind though, it was a great result and we've moved above Blunderland.

Santon did alright but he was a bit dodgy in his positional play.

Jonas was a bit disappointing, I think he should be the one making room for BenArfa.

Debuchy is a class above Wilson.

Hip hip hooray Tiote didn't get a card, and he played better than he has been.

Elliot didn't disgrace himself or let us down.

Saylor and Yanga might prove to be a better duo than Saylor and Colo, and it's probably what we'll have next season if Colo's away to the pampas.

who?

Go on then, I'm intrigued. What did Jonas do wrong this time?

I saw him draw two fouls, getting two of them booked, as well as holding off a centre back prior to Cisse's goal. I also remember a quality through ball late in the first half that was only just intercepted.

Explain how he was poor.

Sounds like you're implying that I'm one of those Jonas haters on here?! I thought he was very good against Chelsea.

Holding off two fouls and one fab through ball is quite frankly nothing to toss over and not good enough in a 90 minute game. He was not involved enough and took no-one on from what I remember.

Edited by Slayer

hope it's inoperable.....

you think you are of such an vital importance here that people set off fireworks to welcome your presence, don't you man with delusions of grandeur?

Edited by Aeris

Holding off two fouls and one fab through ball is quite frankly nothing to toss over and not good enough in a 90 minute game. He was not involved enough and took no-one on from what I remember.

But to single him out as "very poor"? Seems overly harsh to me. We were solid down his side and some of the intricate one-twos were spot on. I have no complaints over his performance.

Two poor goals to concede, Taylor at fault for the first Santon for the second, and we did look wide open at times. But generally we played pretty well and were good for the win. Thought Debuchy was excellent, possibly just pipping Sissoko for mom. Great to see Cisse firing in a belter, hopefully he'll get back on form for the rest of the season now.