How do Ashley's other business deals affect us?

The Fish

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-21585456

So he's received £100m by selling shares in his baby, but is that going to translate to the Football club? And if it does, will it be in ways that we, as fans, will notice? Or would it simply be used to get rid of more debt?

Edited by The Fish

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure he has said before his businesses are run completely separately. I think the only crossover is the Sports Direct shite splashed everywhere but in terms of one business doing well or poorly I don't think it makes any difference to the club.

The club under Ashley is run on the money it makes (after his initial investment). Debt (said investment) is paid off to him, any players are bought by money we have generated.

Pretty sure he has said before his businesses are run completely separately. I think the only crossover is the Sports Direct shite splashed everywhere but in terms of one business doing well or poorly I don't think it makes any difference to the club.

So nothing major then.

So nothing major then.

Well yeah it's shit but it's the only thing that seems to have affected the club from his other businesses. Even his Southern stores stock very little NUFC merchandise. The fucktard!

Shite grammar.

It won't affect the club as they are two different companies.

He's got a lovely tax dodge going for us tho, the sports direct branding is charged out from SD ltd for a cool quarter of a million a year. So he's putting some money in from SD but I suspect only to reduce the SD corp tax liability.

He's got a lovely tax dodge going for us tho, the sports direct branding is charged out from SD ltd for a cool quarter of a million a year. So he's putting some money in from SD but I suspect only to reduce the SD corp tax liability.

Do you have a link for that?

Its the same thing most corporations do, the quarter of a mil is from memory , the accounts from last year are published online somewhere, I'll check my bookmarks when I get home.

The corp tax thing is bang on tho, many businesses with the same owner crosscharge expenses like this , thus the upset about Starbucks etc. The cost will be recorded in SD as an operating expense and then he wont have to pay 20% of whatever it is

Even his Southern stores stock very little NUFC merchandise. The fucktard!

Over here there are an incredible amount of Man U fans and whenever I ask any of them who are 30 years old+ why they support Man U there's an awful lot of them who say it's because their mum/aunt bought a club shirt/school bag etc. when they were kids and it has stuck ever since.

If he really is in it for the long term then it would do no harm to stick some more cheap NUFC merchandise into his stores for clueless relatives to buy for the next generation coming through.

The corp tax thing is bang on tho, many businesses with the same owner crosscharge expenses like this , thus the upset about Starbucks etc. The cost will be recorded in SD as an operating expense and then he wont have to pay 20% of whatever it is

They'll be paying roughly 24% corporation tax, 24% of £250,000 is £60k of which Mike Ashley has a 64% interest in so about £38,400.

It's hardly a great tax dodge.

Whilst that one thing may not.come as a great dodge it will be rolled.in with loads of other deals. I doubt he's paying 24% as the government have reduced corp tax over the past few years, its at 20% now i think.

2.75 million for stadium.naming rights according to Derek in a press conferance. 8-10 mil for shirt and stadium and given that shirt alone was 6.5 mil that puts mike in for at least 1.5 mil perhaps more. Next years accounts will include this years revenue so we will know for sure then.

google st James sports direct naming worth and you'll find a journal article.

The figure of a quarter mil comes just from the SD on the advertising boards as the current accounts don't cover a years stadium naming rights.

Edited by scoobos

2.75 million for stadium.naming rights according to Derek in a press conferance. 8-10 mil for shirt and stadium and given that shirt alone was 6.5 mil that puts mike in for at least 1.5 mil perhaps more. Next years accounts will include this years revenue so we will know for sure then.

google st James sports direct naming worth and you'll find a journal article.

The figure of a quarter mil comes just from the SD on the advertising boards as the current accounts don't cover a years stadium naming rights.

That was the potential value put on the stadium naming rights, SD didn't actually pay a penny for the right to 'showcase' the opportunity.

It gives him £100m more cash than he had that he could theoretically put into the club for improving the squad. I hardly think this is a likely scenario though and we will continue along the same path of having to generate our own funds for buying players.

It gives him £100m more cash than he had that he could theoretically put into the club for improving the squad. I hardly think this is a likely scenario though and we will continue along the same path of having to generate our own funds for buying players.

Believe FFP would not allow that.

He's pulled 100m out of SD so we can hang on to Sissoko this summer. Big efforts being prepared all round the club and people cant see it.

not sure i follow this post. how has he pulled 100m out of SD o hang on to sissoko?

the winter transfer window was exactly what was needed but it should have happened earlier. where is the big effort we can't see? all i see his him spendign money that should have been spent at the start of the season - atoning for his mistakes in other words.

Over here there are an incredible amount of Man U fans and whenever I ask any of them who are 30 years old+ why they support Man U there's an awful lot of them who say it's because their mum/aunt bought a club shirt/school bag etc. when they were kids and it has stuck ever since.

If he really is in it for the long term then it would do no harm to stick some more cheap NUFC merchandise into his stores for clueless relatives to buy for the next generation coming through.

I could personally (if I had the money) give every Irish schoolboy a Stoke/Sunderland/whoever club shirt/schoolbag and lets see how many would still be supporting those clubs in a days time never mind 30 years? :lol:

Nothing at all to do with always challenging for trophies and having 'United' rammed down their throats by Sky etc.