Statues

Howmanheyman

The reason Pedro gets a load of shit though is due to his public arselicking of Ashley and Llambias whilst turning his back on someone that done so much for his career. Completely justified on that front iyam. Even if he is the best player I have saw playing for us.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned Stan Seymour and that was a good shout as Seymour played in NUFC sides that won the FA cup and league title, he was an influential Chairman in our fifties cup winning heyday and was known as 'Mr Newcastle'.

Stan%20Seymour.jpg

Colin Veitch was from Heaton, played for us and captained us to three league titles and an FA cup, also played for England. He was active in the very early days of the players Union.

Billy McCracken was in the same very successful side as Veitch, a Northern Ireland international defender who mastered the art of the old offside rule so well that goals started to dry up in our games before others tried to copy Billy's methods which eventually lead to the FA changing the offside rule. Goals began to flow once the change was made although a season or so later Bradford City bucked the trend by having a miserly defence. They were managed by a newly retired ex-NUFC player called W.McCackren.

Peter McWilliam made up this trio of our best players in the best football team in England before the 1st World War. McWilliam was known as 'Peter the Great' and was a Scottish international when this was a boast. Another Scot, Jimmy Howie, played for us during this period of success where we somehow avoided being one of the few clubs to have done the league and cup double by losing the final v Everton after winning the league. From 1904 to 1910 we won three titles, one FA cup and were runners up twice.

Fnewcastle1.jpg

(L-R) McCracken in Irish shirt and cap, Veitch in England shirt and Jimmy Howie in Scotland's rosebery shirt.

Peter_McWilliam1.gif

Peter McWilliam

Well before our times but 'if you know your history' etc. Every Newcastle United fan should be aware or informed of these men and their achievements and our clubs too.

Ah, good point. :) Done! Hope that fixes it. Although I think you were the only one who'd quoted the original post (unless your work filter has a problem with Kenny Chesney, which I could fully understand).

EDIT: My mistake, just spotted another quote. Duly zapped. :good: