Which of the first 11 should be improved upon in the summer?

Happy Face

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Inspired by someone complaining that the notion of Santon/Cisse being replaced by better options was cloud cuckoo.

Now we don't have Simpson or Williamson to complain about needing replaced.

Assuming Coloccini is going the journey already.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davide Santon...am assuming that his replacement is here already ;)

Unless we try him in midfield, because iyam he'll not be a defender of sufficient quality as long as I've got a fuckin hole in my arse. Although this is a bit depressing to say because I think theres little doubt he's a good footballer.

Can you add Shola to the list?...

To push him. I'll be honest, I think Gouffran would be a better foil for Ba. Cisse seems less than a natural predator in the box than Ba but we've all seen how Cisse can pull off a goal from nowhere at times.

That first eleven looks very strong now and I'm sad to say that if anyone is the weak link, it would appear that it is Santon now. As Padocklad says, he's clearly a good player but he certainly has some defensive frailties. Personally I think playing on the left does him no favours on that score and I think he would do better at rightback but obviously that's unlikely now with Debuchy there. Mind you it's worth saying that behind Ben Arfa and Ba, Santon was our best player for the first three or four months of the season so I don't think he's a write off by any means.

Aside from Santon, you have Taylor who is a pretty good player but we know is likely to be injured at any time and could be improved upon (if Colo were to stay, unlikely as that is, we already have two other players to play ahead of him) and Gouffran who has impressed me but is never going to be of the same quality as Ben Arfa.

Beyond that you are looking at squad players or someone who can go toe to toe with Cisse.

Edited by David Kelly

People forget Santon's age, he's doing OK, yes he'll make mistakes but he's got something and he can actually play too.

For me I'm fuckin sick of Tiote, from being in a place where I'd have been gutted to see him go, I'd actively encourage it. He's a liability, it's like he goes on the pitch after having played some violent computer game, and continues it on in games. He just doesn't think, his forward usage is negligible, if we had an offer of 12-15s I'd snap anyones hand off. Obviously Cisse too, his form has been utterly woeful.

Always happy to give Santon the benefit of the doubt personally.

Same age as Ranger and Ferguson. Tavernier, Dummet, Inman and Newton too. All born in 1991.

He looks streets ahead of all those.

I'd like to see Carrol come back with Gouffron playing alongside him and HBA just behind,making things happen.I agree that Tiote is a liability.He seems to think his first job is to act the big man by having a little dig at his direct opponent which does nowt apart from warn the ref a yellow card will probably be needed before the game is finished.If he could be trusted,and i don't think he could,i would ask him to protect the back 4 and nowt else.

I'd like to see Carrol come back with Gouffron playing alongside him and HBA just behind,making things happen.I agree that Tiote is a liability.He seems to think his first job is to act the big man by having a little dig at his direct opponent which does nowt apart from warn the ref a yellow card will probably be needed before the game is finished.If he could be trusted,and i don't think he could,i would ask him to protect the back 4 and nowt else.

In the 2 years since he left Carroll has scored 14 goals in all competitions.

Santon.

Does not for me defensively and less important bombing forward if we have a winger who can do the business like Goufrran. Cost us too many goals this year.

Tiote.

Sometimes he drives the team on like he did against Southampton where as other times I think fucks sake man!

Jonas.

No need to expand

Cisses.

Doesn't seem good enough to play that role. Either we get someone with him or someone to push him for that role.

Pardew.

A lot of the problem with the above is that they know they are not going to be dropped. Guthrie played fantastic last season when Tiote was away but was dropped like a stone. We also have Anita who could seemed to be coming on but has now been discarded. His passing and carrying abilities may be a better option and foil for Cabaye at times.

If he was a more confident or daring manager then we might see some squad rotation and players might feel as though they have to fight for a place.

I also wonder about Marveaux. Came in and put in some great displays in the centre and linked everything up nicely. Even with fantastic Moussa, we don't seem to be as slick and fluid as when Marveaux was in the middle. ( not suggesting we drop Moussa).

Got a job so over and out.

i'm pretty happy with most positions if i'm honest. the key now is to buy players that are as least as good or better than this lot while retaining the current first choice 11. that's when you'll see players upping their levels to keep their place and real strength in depth.

of all of then though, cisse's probably the one that's been the most off form. i'd like to see another centre forward at least as good as him come in. plus some more competition in the wide areas for gouffran, ben arfa and jonas. a quality left footed left back coming in might free up santon as an option to play further forward too.

Santon.

Does not for me defensively and less important bombing forward if we have a winger who can do the business like Goufrran. Cost us too many goals this year.

Tiote.

Sometimes he drives the team on like he did against Southampton where as other times I think fucks sake man!

Jonas.

No need to expand

Cisses.

Doesn't seem good enough to play that role. Either we get someone with him or someone to push him for that role.

Pardew.

A lot of the problem with the above is that they know they are not going to be dropped. Guthrie played fantastic last season when Tiote was away but was dropped like a stone. We also have Anita who could seemed to be coming on but has now been discarded. His passing and carrying abilities may be a better option and foil for Cabaye at times.

If he was a more confident or daring manager then we might see some squad rotation and players might feel as though they have to fight for a place.

I also wonder about Marveaux. Came in and put in some great displays in the centre and linked everything up nicely. Even with fantastic Moussa, we don't seem to be as slick and fluid as when Marveaux was in the middle. ( not suggesting we drop Moussa).

Got a job so over and out.

didn't marveaux's stint in the middle coincide with our horror run of form? it's nae good being slick and fluid if you are easily over-run and end up losing all the time.

didn't marveaux's stint in the middle coincide with our horror run of form? it's nae good being slick and fluid if you are easily over-run and end up losing all the time.

First game was a win followed by some great displays, lots of goals and nil points. ;)

The point is he orchestrated well and joined up the whole team. Currently we have no one doing that.

A better manager would mix it up a bit and find a few connotations that work.

First game was a win followed by some great displays, lots of goals and nil points. ;)

The point is he orchestrated well and joined up the whole team. Currently we have no one doing that.

A better manager would mix it up a bit and find a few connotations that work.

i agree he has a nice touch and a bit of creativity but i think he looks a bit light weight to play through the middle in the premier league. off the front man with lots of players mopping up behind him, maybe. i see him more of a creative sub when we're chasing the game at the moment though. don't think he should be starting ahead of the players currently ahead of him.

This poll and the fact I didnt want to click on anyone made me realise we've come along a fair bit as far as squad strength goes.

Santon and Tiote are the question marks out of that list. Cisse too according to some people I suppose. As far as Im concerned we should stick with all three for next season at least anyway.

This summer is going to be about improving the squad players rather than the first team mostly. Colo, Shola, Jonas perhaps.

Tbh it depends on where you see the club going. If we want to be in the champions league spots there's certainly an argument that Santon, Taylor, Tiote and Cisse could do with being replaced.

That would take much more money than we're going to spend.

The other option is look to move back into the wafa cup spots and tbh I don't really think we need to replace any of the first team for that. We just need to increase the quality of the squad.

Christmas Tree using hyperbole when it comes to Marveaux again. His displays in the middle weren't great. Some accomplished moments certainly but not great when you compare them to Sissoko's in the same position.

Hope we persist with Marveaux though, I just don't know if he has the physical side of things up to a level Pardew demands.

We must buy another centre forward/winger though.

Aubameyang fits the bill for me. He gives Cisse real competition for the central spot and he can also play out wide too. It's something we need as we have struggled to create without Ben Arfa.

If Colo goes it goes without saying we need another centre half of comparable ability to is, as no disrespect to Taylor we can't count on him fitness wise and he at his best is a level below Colo and Yanga-Mbiwa.

Christmas Tree using hyperbole when it comes to Marveaux again. His displays in the middle weren't great. Some accomplished moments certainly but not great when you compare them to Sissoko's in the same position.

Hope we persist with Marveaux though, I just don't know if he has the physical side of things up to a level Pardew demands.

Semantics.

Ready to admit Santon cant defend yet? ;)

Edited by Christmas Tree

Tiote and Cisse, but the latter only in there because, as others have mentioned, he needs a kick up the arse. Some competition would do him good.

Tiote has become the player that I always worry about when we're playing, due to high probability of give-away freekicks and red cards.

I don't get the Santon criticism - I guess it's true that he can't defend especially well, but he's always trying to make things happen, and seems to frequently be the player who gets those ahead of him out of problems by making himself available. I think he'll come good - possible with Debuchy as a role model.

santon plays for the italian national team and he can't defend? seriously i think you guys are smokin the good shit , just needs to get back to how he played last year.