Which of the first 11 should be improved upon in the summer?

Happy Face

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[/size]

I wouldn't ditch any of them either, I think a club should ALWAYS look to buy for the first team though. Bring in players who are better than those who get automatic starts. Then those players are kept on their toes, fight for their place or provide cover in an improved team.

Taking that approach, it's the weakest links in the team that should be improved upon first of all. So who are the weakest links?

Santon might have been with a couple of errors in as many games, but he's set up as many goals recently with excellent runs. He's a real prospect. they're worth persevering with for long term gain rather than short term concerns.

Steven Taylor is reaching the Shola end of being a prospect though. Still all promise as he approaches 30. For me he will never be top class. I'd be delighted if he was sat on our bench rather than Williamson.

Shame isn't it. I thought he might be a future captain big he's just been too inconsistent and too injured over the years. I'd be happy with him if he could ever be relied on to play 38 games in a season but agree we should be getting in another centre half if colo is fucking off. Don't mind Williamson as 4th choice. First change is a bit more worrying.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should try to get hold of Benteke if Villa goes down, he's class, he'd be the answer for Pardew's hold-up striker strategy when he puts on useless Shola.

We'll not be his first choice when Villa go down. There'll be a few suitors come calling, suitors who can offer Europe. He's decent, but I'm always wary of signing a player after he's only had 1 good season for a poor side. Does he look good in a poor side because everything goes through him? Is he grafting harder than he normally would because he's worried that if he doesn't shine he'll not get a move away from a sinking ship?

Saying that he does look decent.

Does anyone think Taylor's lack of progression is only because of his injuries? Could it be a feeling of entitlement and a false sense of security in his position?

We'll not be his first choice when Villa go down. There'll be a few suitors come calling, suitors who can offer Europe. He's decent, but I'm always wary of signing a player after he's only had 1 good season for a poor side. Does he look good in a poor side because everything goes through him? Is he grafting harder than he normally would because he's worried that if he doesn't shine he'll not get a move away from a sinking ship?

on?

Can't think of any better option (or at a better price when Villa goes down) if we're after that type of striker who can fill the role Shola's incompetently trying to do. And his crazy young too, only 22, I have high beliefs he'll be better than Giroud and Dzeko in a few years.

Edited by Aeris

Can't think of any better option (or at a better price when Villa goes down) if we're after that type of striker who can fill the role Shola's incompetently trying to do. And his crazy young too, only 22, I have high beliefs he'll be better than Giroud and Dzeko in a few years.

I reckon G.Carr may have a few options, but even so, even if Villa go down and he's to leave. He'll have the likes of Malaga, Liverpool, maybe Marseille? Any team outside the elite who are struggling with goals, really. Sure Stoke, Everton and ourselves may be interested, but we can't (necessarily) guarantee European football and as Meenzer says, he's got to have an eye on the Belgian national squad.

Is the Europa League that much of a draw?

Are you seriously asking whether an in-form, in-demand player would want to move to a team enjoying European competition?

Yes, the Europa League is a draw, more likely to move to a team in that competition than one that isn't, and he's certainly more likely to move elsewhere than stay at a Championship side.

I reckon G.Carr may have a few options, but even so, even if Villa go down and he's to leave. He'll have the likes of Malaga, Liverpool, maybe Marseille? Any team outside the elite who are struggling with goals, really. Sure Stoke, Everton and ourselves may be interested, but we can't (necessarily) guarantee European football and as Meenzer says, he's got to have an eye on the Belgian national squad.

He'll join Spurs. All signs point to it.

Put money on it.

We should try to get hold of Benteke if Villa goes down, he's class, he'd be the answer for Pardew's hold-up striker strategy when he puts on useless Shola.

Me mate sent me the most ridiculous text I've ever seen last night, every bit as ridiculous as your post here. He said and I quote "Benteke will be as good as Drogba". PMSL.

The best he'll ever be is an Emile Heskey.

Tiote seems to have regressed this season. On Saturday I was dreading him going near the ball, either with or without possession. Hopefully it's just a blip, as he was a very useful player for us last year. I wonder if Anita or Bigirama will be able to step in and take his place on a regular basis next season? Neither of them are similar to Tiote though - having one of them plus cabaye and Sissoko would probably leave us a bit light.

Apart from that, another striker is a no brainer, as is a centre half if Colo leaves.

They're both completely different types of midfielders though who could both play integral roles in our future.

I really like the type of player he is, your classic Dutch deep lying midfielder that dictates the pace of the game. I think we'd need a more pragmatic managerial setup to see the best out of him though.

i've been a bit underwhelmed by anita so far, agree with fish that bigi has shown more promise of the two. early days like and plenty of time for him to still improve and adapt but i wonder whether he might turn out to be one of those players, that while very tidy on the ball, just never really comes to terms with the "pace of the premier league"©. he has looked a bit lighweight.

compare him to sissoko who just looked an absolute beast from the get go. with him you just knew after the first game we had signed some player.

They're both completely different types of midfielders though who could both play integral roles in our future.

I really like the type of player he is, your classic Dutch deep lying midfielder that dictates the pace of the game. I think we'd need a more pragmatic managerial setup to see the best out of him though.

If Sissoko and Cabaye are the foundations of our midfield, I think we're more able to incorporate Bigi than Anita. Anita is technically competent, but I can't see us playing with him and Cabaye without a Tiote type destroyer amongst them. Bigi is surely Tiote's eventual replacement?

As I have said I could see it if we had a more pragmatic coaching/management setup that would encourage it. If you look at a lot of the top teams as well now not many actually play with a destroyer, they want their players to be able to do more than that. I'm a self-confessed Tiote fan and although he doesn't have the all round package I still like seeing him in that role as we aren't at a level yet where we can afford to go without some form of protection for the back four.

Anita's similar to the likes of Carrick and Pirlo as in he plays deep but isn't a defensive midfielder, yet likes to dictate the pace of a game as he has the passing ranging and agility to do so. I just don't think we would ever see it work under this setup. I am also not saying he's comparable ability wise to both of those players but that's the sort of player he is.

Bigi is a cracking prospect and as you have said is probably marked as the long-term replacement for Tiote. He's not as good defensively as Tiote is, yet he has a much sharper range of passing.

Can I just say it's great to actually be discussing selection dilemmas now due to some squad depth we have in certain positions. Yes of course it's not perfect and still lop sided in certain areas but it's potentially the best squad we've had for years.

As I have said I could see it if we had a more pragmatic coaching/management setup that would encourage it. If you look at a lot of the top teams as well now not many actually play with a destroyer, they want their players to be able to do more than that. I'm a self-confessed Tiote fan and although he doesn't have the all round package I still like seeing him in that role as we aren't at a level yet where we can afford to go without some form of protection for the back four.

Anita's similar to the likes of Carrick and Pirlo as in he plays deep but isn't a defensive midfielder, yet likes to dictate the pace of a game as he has the passing ranging and agility to do so. I just don't think we would ever see it work under this setup. I am also not saying he's comparable ability wise to both of those players but that's the sort of player he is.

Bigi is a cracking prospect and as you have said is probably marked as the long-term replacement for Tiote. He's not as good defensively as Tiote is, yet he has a much sharper range of passing.

Can I just say it's great to actually be discussing selection dilemmas now due to some squad depth we have in certain positions. Yes of course it's not perfect and still lop sided in certain areas but it's potentially the best squad we've had for years.

I think my problem with Anita being at the club long term, is that I see the future of Newcastle to include 3 central midfielders and as long as Cabaye and Sissoko are around* I don't see Anita's role fitting in that midfield. It'd be like us signing Carroll, I don't see that as the direction we're heading in, that's not to say he's not good at what he does.

*hopefully until they both retire at the age of 38 because they've won everything in the game with Newcastle and seen great throngs of newborn Geordies named Yohan and Moussa

Good thread thus far.

Ideally a club will be stupid enough to come in for Tiote for 15-20 million and we can reinvest that on a striker and DCM. I'm also hoping an Italian club will be stupid enough to come in for Santon around 10-15. He's decent going forward but defensively been a nightmare.

We need more depth up top to challenge Cisse. I'm confident at some point he could regain his form, but at the moment he looks out of sorts and we don't really have anyone to challenge or even to bring on as a second striker if we need. Would be nice to get a top quality striker in to push on.

Would like to get a proven CB in and a young CB in to challenge for places.

Wouldn't mind moving on Jonas if the price is right but that's a pipe dream. I just don't think he is suited to play in this team anymore.

I wonder if we will be back in for Douglas seeing as he is available on a free in the summer?

If the rumours are true I wouldn't mind seeing us go for Bony either as he is basically a beast and would be a perfect outlet for our team up front by himself.

He or Aubameyang who offers something completely different to Bony but more versatility would be brilliant.

I still think we need some more quality out wide as a must though. Look at how toothless we have looked without Ben Arfa out there, even earlier on in the season he appeared to be our only creative outlet whatsoever.

Ideally a club will be stupid enough to come in for Tiote for 15-20 million and we can reinvest that on a striker and DCM. I'm also hoping an Italian club will be stupid enough to come in for Santon around 10-15. He's decent going forward but defensively been a nightmare.

There's only AC Milan after him from the big Italian clubs and they wouldn't pay that fee for him. Especially with the progression of De Sciglio. Saying that there's rumours that Abate is off in the summer so they might finance it with that. I just think we need to persist with him despite his defensive weaknesses as there's something there to work on.

Tiote's limitations have been exposed massively this season and I am one of his biggest fans so there's no chance anybody would pay that for him.

Great posts mate. Yes, I suppose the idea is that if you're a good team who has the ball more often than not then you don't need someone like Tiote, and that is where we'd obviously like to be. For example for most of the 2nd half on Sat Tiote simply didn't add anything - we're on the front foot, totally camped in Swansea's half and in that situation I'd far rather have Bigi or even Anita from what I've seen of them than Tiote.

I've definitely got my doubts about whether Anita will ever make it in the Premier League, but would love to think he will. I just don't think we've seen what he's capable of, and obviously the fear is that we never will. Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be another Hugo Viana - what a great player, but a classic example of someone who wasn't going to make it over here.