Anelka

Craig

Just been on SSN that Everton are interested in him but in an interview with a reporter from L'Equipe, it was suggested that he wouldn't be interested.

The bloke did say that Anelka would be interested in a move to Newcastle and that it wouldn't take much to persuade him to sign.

What are people's opinions? A worthy successor to Shearer? He's already played alongside Owen in the past...

I think there are a couple of differences from the summer:

1. We pulled out of the deal so that we could get Owen.

2. Anelka now actively wants the move

3. Fenerbache are reportedly prepared to sell

IF he got him, another Bellamy? The man has a very touchy reputation but no doubt can get the goals when it suits him. This one has me very perplexed.

When he was on loan at pool iirc he and Owen were a lethal pairing up front. They obviously have a ability to work together, which can't be said about a lot of people and Anelka so by rights it shouldn't take to long for them to rekindle their partnership.

His bad temprament from his early years doesn't seem to have surfaced for quite a while now (although I'm sure Souness could remedy that) and if I remember correctly Keegan said he had no bother with him at all at Citeh.

He is a quality player who knows where the net is and I think he could play with any of our other strikers. He could also bring the added bonus of being a bit of a target up top without being the physical presence of Al. This would surely force us to actually playing some football instead of useless long balls.

If we did go for him it would raise some serious doubts about Luque's future. While he hasn't been fantastic anywhere he's certainly looked much more effective up top than on the wing. So what would we do with him if we signed Anelka?

His bad temprament from his early years doesn't seem to have surfaced for quite a while now (although I'm sure Souness could remedy that) and if I remember correctly Keegan said he had no bother with him at all at Citeh.

He is a quality player who knows where the net is and I think he could play with any of our other strikers.  He could also bring the added bonus of being a bit of a target up top without being the physical presence of Al.  This would surely force us to actually playing some football instead of useless long balls.

If we did go for him it would raise some serious doubts about Luque's future.  While he hasn't been fantastic anywhere he's certainly looked much more effective up top than on the wing.  So what would we do with him if we signed Anelka?

77297[/snapback]

Would mean Owen can then sign for Liverpool in summer like we all expect :rolleyes:

He changes clubs more regularly than Tiger Woods. How long before he gets bored here and gets his brothers to move him somewhere else? I said in the summer that Souness would be a hypocrite signing Anelka after what he said about 'proper' players and the Bellamy situation.

Surely if we did sign Anelka then someone would have to be sold to pay for it?? What were Fenerbahce (sp) asking, around £7m?

Luque hasn't been here long enough to be sold again which, would leave us with who???

Got it, swap him for Ameobi!

He is a quality player who knows where the net is and I think he could play with any of our other strikers.  He could also bring the added bonus of being a bit of a target up top without being the physical presence of Al.  This would surely force us to actually playing some football instead of useless long balls.

If we did go for him it would raise some serious doubts about Luque's future.  While he hasn't been fantastic anywhere he's certainly looked much more effective up top than on the wing.  So what would we do with him if we signed Anelka?

77297[/snapback]

If your losing shearer wont you want luque as well as anelka

Just been on SSN that Everton are interested in him but in an interview with a reporter from L'Equipe, it was suggested that he wouldn't be interested.

The bloke did say that Anelka would be interested in a move to Newcastle and that it wouldn't take much to persuade him to sign.

What are people's opinions? A worthy successor to Shearer? He's already played alongside Owen in the past...

77268[/snapback]

Don't be stupid. :rolleyes:

77268[/snapback]

Don't be stupid. :rolleyes:

77329[/snapback]

It was a question, not a suggestion....

77268[/snapback]

Don't be stupid. :lol:

77329[/snapback]

It was a question, not a suggestion....

77330[/snapback]

A stupid question though. :rolleyes:

77297[/snapback]

If your losing shearer wont you want luque as well as anelka

77323[/snapback]

Fair point but then we would have to find a way to keep the three of them happy, something we have failed to do properly in the past. Although if you take Shearer's guaranteed starting position out of the mix then we might have a chance.

When he was on loan at pool iirc he and Owen were a lethal pairing up front. They obviously have a ability to work together, which can't be said about a lot of people and Anelka so by rights it shouldn't take to long for them to rekindle their partnership.

77289[/snapback]

Could well be wrong but I thought the genreal consensus was that him and Owen werent that a good a partnership at Liverpool and the fact they didnt click was one of the reasons why Houllier didnt sign him permanently.. :rolleyes:

5 goals in 22 games at the Scouse.... not the best is it

77334[/snapback]

Maybe but wasn't their partnership the reverse of Bellars and Shearer?

Anelka was the runner and Owen the finisher.

And Houllier didn't sign him for other reasons.

77334[/snapback]

77851[/snapback]

To be honest for me his goal scoring record since leaving Arsenal is not the best

77334[/snapback]

77851[/snapback]

To be honest for me his goal scoring record since leaving Arsenal is not the best

77853[/snapback]

It's certainly better than any of our current strikers are managing. :)