Wigan Athletic vs Newcastle United

loonyTOON

Pardew apparently told the BBC that it's ligament damage and serious bruising. That actually (optimism) doesn't sound too bad... No medic though, ligament damage could be worse than a break for all I know.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an utter fucking shambles that was from the referee and assistants. Granted we weren't very good, but that challenge was horrible. And their winning 'goal' came from what should have been our corner and then a blatant hand ball!

Review panel and a couple of weeks off the the incompetent bastards.

Pardew apparently told the BBC that it's ligament damage and serious bruising. That actually (optimism) doesn't sound too bad... No medic though, ligament damage could be worse than a break for all I know.

It can be a lot worse actually. Depends on the exact nature of it.

Cruciate ligament is the injury all footballers dread. You can come back from it (Van Nistelrooy is one example) but its a long hard road. Looking at 6-9 months out, maybe more.

Balls.

Unfortunately I couldn't see the game, I know we lost but could someone give a rough summary of what happened.

Even game. We started brightly but lost Debuchy early to injury. Then they scored. Then macmanaman committed GBH on Haidara. Carver kicked off at half the and was sent to the stands for the second half. Pardew reshuffled things second half with Shola joining Cisse up front and santon out wide. We started to create chances after looking poor for most of the first half. Santon scored a great goal, cutting in from the right. Then Cisse had a chance from the 6 yard box saved after finally getting a good ball in from Shola. Ten as we were pressing for the winner, we concede a soft corner from a sliced clearance. The ball is handled twice. All our players appeal and the ball ends up in the back of the net while they all stand like statues with their hands in the air.

Infuriating.

the worst thing is that this means we might have to play Simpson in the Europe League

Jonas did alright at left back - and at defensive midfield. He's starting to find some form again, thankfully.

Calmed down a bit now and put things in perspective. We are in the 1/4final of the Europa, we still have a good team, we have some winnable games coming up and most teams around us can't buy a win. QPR and Reading nailed on to go down so we just need to make sure we better Sunderland and Villas results which I'm confident we will.

I still can't get my head around the Mackems being happy we lost despite it putting them possibly 1 point within relegation

Calmed down a bit now and put things in perspective. We are in the 1/4final of the Europa, we still have a good team, we have some winnable games coming up and most teams around us can't buy a win. QPR and Reading nailed on to go down so we just need to make sure we better Sunderland and Villas results which I'm confident we will.

I still can't get my head around the Mackems being happy we lost despite it putting them possibly 1 point within relegation

8 games left and the only "banker" is Fulham who've just won at Spurs.

Why should a team thats won one game all season suddenly expect to get points off Man City, West Brom and West Ham?

Cruciate ligament is the injury all footballers dread. You can come back from it (Van Nistelrooy is one example) but its a long hard road. Looking at 6-9 months out, maybe more.

Balls.

More relevant examples for us include Shearer and Owen, surely? Also finished Clough's playing career which might otherwise have been great. Coming to think of it, odd that all the above mentioned were strikers, can't think offhand any examples of defenders that have come back from serious cruciate damage.

Even game. We started brightly but lost Debuchy early to injury. Then they scored. Then macmanaman committed GBH on Haidara. Carver kicked off at half the and was sent to the stands for the second half. Pardew reshuffled things second half with Shola joining Cisse up front and santon out wide. We started to create chances after looking poor for most of the first half. Santon scored a great goal, cutting in from the right. Then Cisse had a chance from the 6 yard box saved after finally getting a good ball in from Shola. Ten as we were pressing for the winner, we concede a soft corner from a sliced clearance. The ball is handled twice. All our players appeal and the ball ends up in the back of the net while they all stand like statues with their hands in the air.

Infuriating.

Thanks for the info, Nice to see Santon finally get his goal. So did the cunt who did the gbh on Haidara get sent off or was it a typical Hallsey refereeing and let the prick off? Really thought we would shit on Wigan. Ah well there's always Man City to shit on.

Thanks for the info, Nice to see Santon finally get his goal. So did the cunt who did the gbh on Haidara get sent off or was it a typical Hallsey refereeing and let the prick off? Really thought we would shit on Wigan. Ah well there's always Man City to shit on.

Wasn't even given a free kick.

More relevant examples for us include Shearer and Owen, surely? Also finished Clough's playing career which might otherwise have been great. Coming to think of it, odd that all the above mentioned were strikers, can't think offhand any examples of defenders that have come back from serious cruciate damage.

It used to end careers but surgery has come on massively. That's not to say it won't threaten his career or his level of play in future but there's more hope than there used to be. Shearer was never the same in terms of mobility after doing his ligaments but iirc it was the ankle for him. Owen definitely lost a yard of pace but I think that part of his game was starting to decline before he did his knee at the World Cup.

Arteta and Skertel are two other recent examples of players that have come back from cruciate injuries and managed to recover to play at a high level.

Aren't a lot of cruciate injuries caused by players getting their studs caught in the turf? Can't remember many caused by a stud high challenge anyway.

*clutching at straws*

It used to end careers but surgery has come on massively. That's not to say it won't threaten his career or his level of play in future but there's more hope than there used to be. Shearer was never the same in terms of mobility after doing his ligaments but iirc it was the ankle for him. Owen definitely lost a yard of pace but I think that part of his game was starting to decline before he did his knee at the World Cup.

Arteta and Skertel are two other recent examples of players that have come back from cruciate injuries and managed to recover to play at a high level.

Aye, it was an ankle injury for Shearer come to think of it. Anyway, ligaments don't heal well at all, a serious ligament injury is as bad as a compound fracture for a footballer. Fingers crossed for the lad.

Aren't a lot of cruciate injuries caused by players getting their studs caught in the turf? Can't remember many caused by a stud high challenge anyway.

*clutching at straws*

Aye, that's why I was wondering if it was a break at first. It's an impact challenge and often cruciates are torn quite innocuously when a player just twists their knee awkwardly on the turf. Fuck knows if that means there's any chance of it being a more minor rupture....

Essien (amongst other injuries) had an ACL tear and hasn't been the same player since. I mean, he's still good enough for Real Madrid but before his injury woes he was one of the best midfielders in the world.