Wigan Athletic vs Newcastle United

loonyTOON

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else think that Cisse chance at the end (that should have been a corner iirc) had gone in?

I said something along the lines of "YEEESSSSSSSSSSS.... oh".

A winner would have meant so much, and I can't recall an equaliser being celebrated as much as our one was. You could see what it meant to the players and staff - that feeling of injustice really added to the mentality of the players.

Things that rile me in football #1347:

The concept of intent.

It should not matter one jot to the referee whether he was going for the ball or the man. It it's that dangerous then it's a red card. Like how killing someone when drunk at the wheel gets you prison - you were so irrespponsible that regardless of whether you meant it or not, you face punishment.

Where it does matter is in the aftermath. If players make clear, deliberate attempts to seriously injure opponents they should be facing six month/year long/life time bans or arguably criminal charges.

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez said: "It is a contact sport and these things happen but there was never any intent." BBC Sport

I wish for once, a manager would just be a human being for one second and forget about everything else. Would have a lot more respect for a manager like Martinez if he said: "It was a nasty challenge and our thoughts are with Haidara. McManaman is a lovely lad on his first full debut and I'm 100% sure that this was not intentional."

My load of bullshit but you get my drift. But his actual comments seem a bit shit to me.

Things that rile me in football #1347:

The concept of intent.

It should not matter one jot to the referee whether he was going for the ball or the man. It it's that dangerous then it's a red card. Like how killing someone when drunk at the wheel gets you prison - you were so irrespponsible that regardless of whether you meant it or not, you face punishment.

Where it does matter is in the aftermath. If players make clear, deliberate attempts to seriously injure opponents they should be facing six month/year long/life time bans or arguably criminal charges.

Eh? You seem to be contradicting yourself here. Honestly not clear what you mean, but intent is a massive part of jurisprudence, and rightfully so.

Edit: oh you're suggesting footballers should potentially face prosecution, judge by jury, and prison, every time a dubious tackle with a bad physical outcome happens. Right,

Edited by Renton

Just saw the highlights, how in the hell wasn't that a fucking red. Okay maybe Halsy didn't have a clear view " that's a big maybe", then his fucking assistant certainly did. For last goal why didn't the assistant give the hand ball which was so clear for all to see. Most definitely robbed by the incompetency of the officials.

Edited by Ausman

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez said: "It is a contact sport and these things happen but there was never any intent." BBC Sport

I wish for once, a manager would just be a human being for one second and forget about everything else. Would have a lot more respect for a manager like Martinez if he said: "It was a nasty challenge and our thoughts are with Haidara. McManaman is a lovely lad on his first full debut and I'm 100% sure that this was not intentional."

My load of bullshit but you get my drift. But his actual comments seem a bit shit to me.

Martinez should be banned from football along with that nasty shit Mcmannaman, they both know what happened and are not man enough to 'fes up the wankers.

They showed on Sky the ref couldn't see it and explained that he actually apologised for missing it.

The Spick spouts meaningless garbage and worst of all McShit never missed a heartbeat chasing straight on after the ball and not even returning to see if the lad was ok.

Second half I think it was your back Perch who gently side footed a player who took a long weekend to re-act and go down, tell me they didn't know that the tackle by Mcshit wasn't outrageous and we will go for a sympathy dive.

Perch stopped dead in his tracks and apologised before that tosser even realised he'd been touched.

I think it was Stokes Higginbottom a few years back broke someones leg and had to be taken off he was so distraught.

I hope they ban Mcshit for the rest of the season if not for life.

Rant over.

The very best for the rest of the season.

Fucking hell. Reading some of the comments by Martinez this morning is making me fume. Had he seen the replay at that point? Lost a lot if respect for him if he had. He's basically defending the indefensible in order to and reduce the chances of a ban. Just come out and admit it was a poor challenge and suck up the ban like a man.

Has there been any other fouls of this nature that went completly unpunished?....

Keane/Haaland: red

Shawcross on Arsenal lad: yellow?

Nolan/Anichebe: red

any more?...

Fucking hell. Reading some of the comments by Martinez this morning is making me fume. Had he seen the replay at that point? Lost a lot if respect for him if he had. He's basically defending the indefensible in order to and reduce the chances of a ban. Just come out and admit it was a poor challenge and suck up the ban like a man.

Whether we like it or not, the game is full of men protecting their own and their clubs' best interests. Am surprised you're surprised tbh. Martinez has a dressing room to control and a relegation fight on his hands. He's not going to hang anyone out to dry regardless of what they've done.

Has there been any other fouls of this nature that went completly unpunished?....

Keane/Haaland: red

Shawcross on Arsenal lad: yellow?

Nolan/Anichebe: red.

Shawcross on Ramsey was absolutely gutted at the time too iirc think he had to be taken off.

I reckon the game's getting away from referee's, two games (us and the mackems) yesterday had the results hugely influenced by the ref's wrong decisions and although I didn't see it [/Wenger] there's also been some stuff floating around about a Felliani hand ball in the Everton game.

It's all getting a bit of a lottery tbh

Edited by Toonpack

spot on. a video appeal system (similar to cricket) would deal with all these issues. 1 appeal per game, if you get it wrong, you lose it. easy (on top of goal line technology).

the game is just too fast for referees. at first glance I didn't even think it was a red card watching live..

I don't think you could expect anything else from Martinez, he's doing what every other Manager would do, nothing more. There is no way he'll belittle his players in public, I would expect the same from Pardew if the situation was reversed.

spot on. a video appeal system (similar to cricket) would deal with all these issues. 1 appeal per game, if you get it wrong, you lose it. easy (on top of goal line technology).

the game is just too fast for referees. at first glance I didn't even think it was a red card watching live..

You could review goals and tackles causing injuries without even interupting the game, can't see why they don't, it'd take seconds.

His view was blocked by Gouffran. He literally didnt see it. So how could Halsey have awarded it? The linesman on that side is different though...even at 20 yards, thats a red when your stood at the side of the pitch.

So you want a video review for that, on the goaline too. Offside?...thats not opinion, your either on or off. Where the fuck will that end?

Paddocklad is not gonna be happy about these suggestions. ;)

Load of old pony, reactionary tosh. I'm pretty fucked off that the linesman shat his kegs and said fuck all. At this level, they should work as a team. Halsey's been let down by him iyam.

I just think that bloke is a shit ref. His linesman didn't help him but when a guy potentially has his career ruined and the shit who did it stays on the pitch that's not good enough. Feel really bad for the lad Haidara. He's played well since he's arrived. Was pushing for a first team spot. Now he's potentially got a long road to recovery. Hopefully, fingers crossed, its an impact injuries with a slight ligament strain. He could be out for a month or so. If it's the ACL or the other one (what's the opposite of anterior?) then its not good at all. The handball was a shit but for me the ref should have a seat for the rest of the season solely because he failed to protect a player through being inept. FWIW McManapuss should be banned for the rest of the season. And he could be too since the ref missed it.