Wigan Athletic vs Newcastle United

loonyTOON

I just think that bloke is a shit ref. His linesman didn't help him but when a guy potentially has his career ruined and the shit who did it stays on the pitch that's not good enough. Feel really bad for the lad Haidara. He's played well since he's arrived. Was pushing for a first team spot. Now he's potentially got a long road to recovery. Hopefully, fingers crossed, its an impact injuries with a slight ligament strain. He could be out for a month or so. If it's the ACL or the other one (what's the opposite of anterior?) then its not good at all. The handball was a shit but for me the ref should have a seat for the rest of the season solely because he failed to protect a player through being inept. FWIW McManapuss should be banned for the rest of the season. And he could be too since the ref missed it.

Gouffran blocked the ref's view of it....do you want refs to guess at all decisons theyre not sure about?

Halsey will be asked to review it today and the player will get 3 games for a straight red. Theres nothing in the rules that allows for longer.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever played in a match where the ref is a fat shit and spends the whole game in the centre circle and misses mostly everything? Saying he didn't see it doesn't necessarily excuse him does it? In actual fact I would imagine the main ingredient stressed in becoming a good referee is being in the right spot to observe the play. That is the point after all.

Retrospective bans should be longer for tackles that amount to assaults. It was a horror show challenge. Fair enough the officials missed it but everyone now knows how bad it was. It shouldn't go unpunished. Might not be anything in the rules to say otherwise but a challenge of that nature warrants more than a three game ban.

Fuck right off - I'll raise you a Graveson on bernard. which was thigh height.

Not even taking the piss, if you remember that was 2003, and there was 8 games to go, we were 2 points off top and would've went top with a win, they scored the winner 10 seconds after that tackle and our title bid hit the wall. Scouse cunts.

Martinez on about the young lad having enthusiasm, what a crock of shit, Gary Lineker was young and enthusiastic once and went his whole career without getting booked. I like Dave Whelan but I hope that shit club fuck off forever, their fans enthusiastically applauding McManaman, cunts.

Come off it, there's defending and then there's common sense. Some managers go to Dalglish extremes while others have a more open outlook on it, dealing with stuff that needs dealing with. Boils my piss when they come out with "I didn't see it", it's a wonder that they're aware of anything that goes on on the pitch the way they carry on.

Exactly, David Moyes showed dignity a few weeks ago when he went on about what a mug Fellaini was at Stoke.

To be fair to Halsey his linesmen did nothing to help him out. TV coverage suggest he had a player in his line of sight but fuck me, the linesman was about 10 yards away and could have flagged. Same for the handball as well.

Its easy to have a go at the ref but in this case the whole refereeing team should be disciplined. Bad form all around.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Seems to be a lot of chat that the tackle can't be punished retrospectively, as it took place within the normal course of play. Stupid rule that I don't fully understand, but it would rub salt in the wound (no pun intended) if that was the case.

Seems to be a lot of chat that the tackle can't be punished retrospectively, as it took place within the normal course of play. Stupid rule that I don't fully understand, but it would rub salt in the wound (no pun intended) if that was the case.

I thought the whole point of retrospective punishment was it picks up those ones the ref missed. The vast majority would be in the normal course of play.

I thought the whole point of retrospective punishment was it picks up those ones the ref missed. The vast majority would be in the normal course of play.

Can't remember the exact terminology. Think the FA deem it "on the ball", which they've used on numerous occasions to exonerate themselves from any responsibility in dishing out punishment.

Load of old pony, reactionary tosh. I'm pretty fucked off that the linesman shat his kegs and said fuck all. At this level, they should work as a team. Halsey's been let down by him iyam.

Not reactionary at all in my case, thought like this for ages.

No effect on the game if a player gets really hurt and ref knows he didn't catch it and then asks to see it whilst treatment's happening. Goals should also be reviewed IMO

More and more results are being screwed by refereeing blunders, it needs to get fixed. Some of this stuff is not even close !!!

This is the VERY top of the game we are talking about and it is badly broken. Where do you stop ?? you stop when it gets put right.

Two games results yesterday were directly changed by bad decisions, decisions which weren't even close tbh

Edited by Toonpack

More and More there are cameras at games with extra angles and computer generated views to assess.

The refereeing is the same as it ever was.

I am consistent in my view, even if Mcmanaman gets off scott free, I don't want video replays and the joy of controversy taken out of the game. The vast majority of the time it happens to other teams and I laugh my head off.

Gonna be fucking cricket soon.

Martinez talks bollocks, always has. Regardless of what actually happens in a game he sucks off his players afterwards, instead of just saying it how it is.

Much like Fergie.

I've got no objection to a manager talking shite to defend his player. It's clear as day to anyone else that's seen it.

Not reactionary at all in my case, thought like this for ages.

No effect on the game if a player gets really hurt and ref knows he didn't catch it and then asks to see it whilst treatment's happening. Goals should also be reviewed IMO

More and more results are being screwed by refereeing blunders, it needs to get fixed. Some of this stuff is not even close !!!

This is the VERY top of the game we are talking about and it is badly broken. Where do you stop ?? you stop when it gets put right.

Two games results yesterday were directly changed by bad decisions, decisions which weren't even close tbh

Lawro says the same here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/referees-getting-worse-football-gets-1771181

So explain to me why this mornings hysteria in the media isnt just a reaction to the weekend events? Theyve got to print or say something . You mentioned man city not getting a pen. It happens in every league, every week and it has done for 130 fuckin years. The explosion in football media jobs and the internet makes you think the way you do. The money men and those who respect them can go take a running fuckin jump for all I care. I'm in a minority and its coming, I do realise that. But it doesn't make it right. The worst thing about all this is the effect on Haidara's career and theres not a camera anywhere on the fuckin planet that can hlep the lad with that.

He has to protect his player. Not sure what everyone is getting so worked up about in that respect. The player will probably get a bollocking behind closed doors but its just the same as Wenger and his "I didnt see it" mentality.

Lawro says the same here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/referees-getting-worse-football-gets-1771181

So explain to me why this mornings hysteria in the media isnt just a reaction to the weekend events? Theyve got to print or say something . You mentioned man city not getting a pen. It happens in every league, every week and it has done for 130 fuckin years. The explosion in football media jobs and the internet makes you think the way you do. The money men and those who respect them can go take a running fuckin jump for all I care. I'm in a minority and its coming, I do realise that. But it doesn't make it right. The worst thing about all this is the effect on Haidara's career and theres not a camera anywhere on the fuckin planet that can hlep the lad with that.

I'm with you on this, so is HF by the sound of things. I'd make more use off retrospective punishments to act as a deterrent mind.

He has to protect his player. Not sure what everyone is getting so worked up about in that respect. The player will probably get a bollocking behind closed doors but its just the same as Wenger and his "I didnt see it" mentality.

I'm not getting worked up, just stating that he is a lying cunt.

https://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Match-reports/2011/March/City-EDS-v-Wigan-Res

However, the gloss was taken off the victory when former Barcelona youngster Gai Assulin was stretchered off in the 90th-minute following a reckless tackle by Latics' Callum McManaman which led to his second yellow and resulting red card.

As yet, there is no update on Assulin, who left the pitch in a leg brace, or the extent of his injury.

Looks like the cunt's got form for it.

The rule about retrospective punishment is whether the referee see's an incident or not isn't it? If he says he did see it then he (and the lines man) need a big punishment for being incompetent (he didn't even book him for the deliberate handball right after despite this being an automatic card!). If he didn't there should be an automatic three match ban handed out. Mind you, if the rules don't allow a retrospective punishment in this case then they are clearly a joke and should be changed immediately.

The only thing I'll add is that I don't buy this 'it wasn't malicious, he's not that type of lad' shite. It doesn't matter, even if it was clumsy (as some are arguing as a defense) he should still be punished harshly for his stupidity and dangerous play.

We seem to have a history of our players getting clagged with no punishments being handed out. We've already had a couple off the top of my head already this year, Kyle Walker on Gouffran, Ramirez on Jonas.

Aye intent means fuck all with challenges like that. They're a fucking disgrace whether it's just for the stupidity, cowardice or plain dangerous nature of it. If any player goes out to try and do it deliberately they should be banned for a very long time. If they do it because they're a cowardly little prick they should get a long ban too.