Wigan Athletic vs Newcastle United

loonyTOON

Unbelievable some of the shite coming from Wigan. I'm all for backing your own players but when they're in the wrong then take off the blinkers and say what you see. Like I said, I couldn't give a toss if he bakes cakes for old people every Sunday and buys the Big Issue every week, the 'tackle' was poor, dangerous, and has finished a young lads season. Throw the book at the fucker.

i've lost a lot of respect for that non entity of a club - i used to admire them, and their manager, for upsetting the odds every year and surviving in the premier league despite coming from a rugby league town with no real football fans and having to play in front of a half empty ground every week.

pathetic comments from martinez and whelan - you can defend your players without blatantly distorting the facts. arseholes.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Third time in recent years we've had a player put out for the season at Wigan and not a red in sight, Cattermole did Barton one year then someone else the next IIRC.

Habib Beye - Cattermole

Eh? You seem to be contradicting yourself here. Honestly not clear what you mean, but intent is a massive part of jurisprudence, and rightfully so.

Edit: oh you're suggesting footballers should potentially face prosecution, judge by jury, and prison, every time a dubious tackle with a bad physical outcome happens. Right,

I was making the distinction between on the field and in the aftermath. If a tackle is dangerous by either accident (e.g a knee high reckless double footed lunge that was aiming for the ball) or design (Ben Thatcher vs Pendro Mendez) then it should get a red card.

Where intent matters is in the punishment afterwards. So the clumsy, reckless lunge gets three matches but the deliberate attempt to injure should get longer.

If I kill someone due to a mistake I make at work, I could be suspended, struck off or possibly face criminal action, even prison for gross negligence. But I won't do as long as if I'd knifed someone in the street.

And I'm not saying that at all. I said deliberate attempts to injure people (i.e. assault), not "every tackle with a bad outcome" should POTENTIALLY face action. this would be quite difficult to prove in many cases obviously, but if a player stamped on another's ankle whilst they lay prone they shouldn't have to just answer to the FA.

Dave Whelan is a complete wanker:

"I know there were some bad things said on the line. But the referee took charge of that and dispatched two of them. So, hopefully, the lad (Haidara) can start playing again next Saturday. Hopefully he will be okay and not be too seriously injured.

"But you are going to get injured if you play football professionally. It is a tough game."

Dave Whelan is a complete wanker:

"I know there were some bad things said on the line. But the referee took charge of that and dispatched two of them. So, hopefully, the lad (Haidara) can start playing again next Saturday. Hopefully he will be okay and not be too seriously injured.

"But you are going to get injured if you play football professionally. It is a tough game."

That's just awful. As if Haidara is going to be able to play next weekend. He bloody knows that.

I guess next time around we should send Tiote in on a mission to snap McManaman in half and then claim that Dave Whelan practically endorsed it.

That's just awful. As if Haidara is going to be able to play next weekend. He bloody knows that.

I guess next time around we should send Tiote in on a mission to snap McManaman in half and then claim that Dave Whelan practically endorsed it.

I hope Ashley has sent his cockney mafia round to re-stage the tackle on Whelan and see if he manages to walk by Saturday!

Just saw Whelan on Look North there. What a stupid old cunt. "I haven't seen the replay, but..." Well they haven't got you on to talk about your failed sporting goods empire, Dave. Do you not think you might have at least watched the thing before granting a load of interviews.

Jan Molby took a break from writing about Liverpool to share his thoughts on the tackle.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/jan-molby/one-moment-madness-may-ruin-two-careers-132001703.html

Although his point about the delicate little flower McManaman loses a little credence considering he did the same to Assulin.

There's no way he didn't mean it. He's got form for it - anyone who's played football at any level knows what leaving the boot in looks like and it;s written all over his face when he makes the challenge.

Probably because it didnt involve anyone getting seriously hurt.

It sure seemed Mcmanaman meant it. What an absolute cunt this Whelan guy is. I thought it was bad enough Martinez was acting all oblivious to the incident and this arsehole actually has the nerve to come out and defend that cowardly tackle. Pathetic.

There were a couple of comments on the Guardian article yesterday which were removed which could have been written by Stevie or indeed me pointing out that loads of "leg breakers" just happened to be scousers - I suppose that does include Nolan but I don't think he's got the form of a McMahon or a Tommy Smith.

There've been a few Wigan fans suggesting that, just because there have been occasions in the past where other players have escaped punishment for a tackle like this, that somehow means that McManaman should likewise avoid a lengthy ban.

Where's that logical fallacy page gone?