Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

To be fair, some of the points he was making were as you would expect from a CEO, about Buck stopping with him put not being able to control some day to day events in a giant company, he just didn't seem to have the intelligence to explain himself.

A proper CEO would have batted most of the questions away quite easily.

Dunno you know, most of the board meetings I end up going to are populated by people who don't have a huge amount of intelligence. I think Ashley is a particularly poor example mind you, but being a CEO doesn't make you intelligent.

I don't think my CEO is massively intelligent, but he'd sure as shit not come out with "I can't control what goes on in my company". That's what he's fucking there to do :lol: Granted his staff can make mistakes and he doesn't have individual oversight, but he has more control than anyone else there - he needs proper reporting mechanisms to flag these issues up long before something like a Parliamentary committee is required. My guess is he has no interest in how various aspects of his company operate and, as with Newcastle, looks only to the bottom line.

I suspect he's going to resign as CEO at SD and hand over to someone who would spend more time being bothered about these details. Ultimately, his issue is that he can't be arsed with it.

Dunno you know, most of the board meetings I end up going to are populated by people who don't have a huge amount of intelligence. I think Ashley is a particularly poor example mind you, but being a CEO doesn't make you intelligent.

I don't think my CEO is massively intelligent, but he'd sure as shit not come out with "I can't control what goes on in my company". That's what he's fucking there to do :lol: Granted his staff can make mistakes and he doesn't have individual oversight, but he has more control than anyone else there - he needs proper reporting mechanisms to flag these issues up long before something like a Parliamentary committee is required. My guess is he has no interest in how various aspects of his company operate and, as with Newcastle, looks only to the bottom line.

I suspect he's going to resign as CEO at SD and hand over to someone who would spend more time being bothered about these details. Ultimately, his issue is that he can't be arsed with it.

I know, but in an organisation of 11,000 people the CEO is not even be going to be made aware that some 18 year old was told in an appraisal that "she was selfish for going home on time".

Or employee X was allegedly offered a full time contract if she went out with manager.

This sort of stuff goes on in most organisations and he should have been able to handle those sort of questions. Instead, he was incoherent and confused by it all.

The MP's imo spent too much time on small fry stuff rather than grilling him on why the staff and the warehouse needed to be employed via agencies, rather than SD

Edited by Christmas Tree

Lass reporting for the BBC seemed to think he came across OK too...

From the scene: Sarah Sturdey, BBC current affairs reporter

It's been said Mike Ashley is often kept away from the media because of his tendency to speak openly and sometimes too frankly.

And having protested loudly about not needing to defend himself to MPs, the usually outspoken and bombastic boss of Sports Direct showed a more human side.

Before a packed public gallery, which included ex-Sports Direct workers, he admitted some of his employees may have been paid below the minimum wage last year, before security checks at the company's warehouse in Shirebrook were streamlined.

But to a certain extent, he did hold up his hands and said an internal investigation would "go on forever". He also said he would allow "impartial people" to carry out a review of the company if he was asked to.

Mike Ashley said too, in response to allegations a woman who wanted a contract was sexually propositioned by managers: "Honestly - they're repugnant, they're disgusting - what do you want me to say? Would you like it if you were me?"

So what now for Mike Ashley and Sports Direct? It seems like the boss is keen to make some changes. "You people are pushing against an open door, you're not pushing against a closed door with me. So 90 days then I'll write to you to say it's different."

I know, but in an organisation of 11,000 people the CEO is not even be going to be made aware that some 18 year old was told in an appraisal that "she was selfish for going home on time".

Or employee X was allegedly offered a full time contract if she went out with manager.

This sort of stuff goes on in most organisations and he should have been able to handle those sort of questions. Instead, he was incoherent and confused by it all.

The MP's imo spent too much time on small fry stuff rather than grilling him on why the staff and the warehouse needed to be employed via agencies, rather than SD

Fair enough then, I see what you're saying.

It was pure David Brent, from start to finish, with one notable exception. David Brent is a work of fiction and a failure. Mike Ashley, though a pastiche of a Dickensian factory owner, appears to be real, has a personal fortune of £2.5bn. Still, at least hes not Father Christmas.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mike-ashley-im-not-father-christmas-but-i-am-david-brent-a7069791.html

Ashley's worst habit has always been to put incompetent people in relatively powerful positions within his business structure. All in the name of saving money on wages. His appearance today only cements that fact. Usually this would be the downfall of a business empire but somehow it's made him stinking rich, at the cost of any sort of moral compass. But all that doesn't matter when he's snorting Beluga caviar off his lasses sphincter.

Ashley's worst habit has always been to put incompetent people in relatively powerful positions within his business structure. All in the name of saving money on wages. His appearance today only cements that fact. Usually this would be the downfall of a business empire but somehow it's made him stinking rich, at the cost of any sort of moral compass. But all that doesn't matter when he's snorting Beluga caviar off his lasses sphincter.

Antything to improve the stench though, eh?

`Putting aside Ashley, I don't think Sports Direct is operating that much worse than a lot of other companies. These shitty contracts with a few strikes are all too common place, particularly in manufacturing.`

no worse than burberry chavs inc at blyth, mate worked there briefly bedore christmas. till he got sacked for going in drunk one day.

• 1 month later...

The Hayden purchase pushed this window into the 3rd biggest spending (outgoings only) of Ashley's tenure - £29.5m

Top 6 from 19

Summer 2015 - £48m

Summer 2014 - £37.4m

Summer 2016 - £29.5m

January 2016 - £29m

Summer 2007 - £24.9m

Summer 2008 - £23m

After 10 years in charge, Ashley still only has 3 of the top ten net spends in a season at NUFC

Ashley 2016 79.5
Ashley 2015 18.8
Ashley 2013 13.3
Hall/Shepherd 2003 24.35
Hall/Shepherd 2002 20.35
Hall/Shepherd 1996 18.725
Hall/Shepherd 2006 18.1
Hall/Shepherd 1997 13.125
Hall/Shepherd 1999 11.85
Hall/Shepherd 2007 11.34

• 1 month later...
  • Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt