Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

9 hours ago, trooper said:

Free tv advertising has earned him £millions it doesn't cost him anything & as long as we finish 17th or better he rakes the money in. It's a horrible situation but that's why he won't invest or sell.

That doesn’t make much sense though. I wouldn’t claim expertise but I can’t see how it’s worth his while as the hassle and costs would, I assume, be way in excess of the sort of budget advertising would have for something like Sports Direct. 

26 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I'd imagine it's worth his hassle cos he now sells SD shit in the Far East and there's no other way of advertising that gets his company as much exposure as being on millions of TVs every weekend 

Other than just paying to be on the advertising hoardings in a PL ground like any other company. If it was more cost effective and less hassle than just doing that (it's pretty obvious to me it isn’t) then other companies would buy PL sides just to save on advertising budget. The free advertising is clearly a bonus he’s capitalising on but the figures just don’t add up for it to be the sole reason he owns the club.

• Like 2

He overpaid for he club and he isn’t going to sell unless he gets a good return on his investment. We’re stuck with him unless someone makes a silly offer basically 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Other than just paying to be on the advertising hoardings in a PL ground like any other company. If it was more cost effective and less hassle than just doing that (it's pretty obvious to me it isn’t) then other companies would buy PL sides just to save on advertising budget. The free advertising is clearly a bonus he’s capitalising on but the figures just don’t add up for it to be the sole reason he owns the club.

Ok. I don't think that's why he bought the club. I do believe that's why he won't sell the club though. We are self sufficient as long as we don't get relegated again so he probably just views the club as another asset. If his other businesses go bust he's got £300mil sitting in us. Risky game though 

34 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Ok. I don't think that's why he bought the club. I do believe that's why he won't sell the club though. We are self sufficient as long as we don't get relegated again so he probably just views the club as another asset. If his other businesses go bust he's got £300mil sitting in us. Risky game though 

I don’t disagree in that it may be why he’s holding onto the club. I mean I don’t think it makes any financial sense to hold onto the club just for free advertising but that doesn’t preclude it from being a reason in the unpredictable mind of Mike Ashley. And I think he’ll view it similar to how you’ve stated it re: staying up and the club effectively costing nothing. The bizarre aspect to that is the inherent risk you refer to, I.e. his ‘just survive’ policy has been proven not once but twice to be ineffective at great personal cost to him so why the fuck he would bank on that is beyond me. Finally, he’s got approximately £300m sitting in us. Just supposing he did need that money and even ignoring we might not be in the premier league, how often do people come along with serious intention of buying a club like ours? We’ve probably had one in the 10 years or so he’s owned the club. Again, it makes no fucking sense. Risky game alreet 

• Like 1

:lol: Even if there’s any truth in that £100M over three years isn’t the “war chest” they’re making it out to be. We’d make well over 3 times that just in TV rights in the same time period if we stayed in the PL. 

On 20/07/2018 at 18:49, 247 said:

How about not backing the best manager you could hope to attract which leads to him leaving and most likely relegation? How much money does Ashley get for another relegation?

So fucking stupid

Ashley's a gambler.We bounced back at the first attempt the last time we were relegated.He's likely to gamble with possible relegation again.

So, this “war chest” turns out to be 30 mill a year or less than two Rondons. And that’s before the usual nonsense about the transfer budget including wages.  What a load of bullshit, no wonder he’s not signing

Btw west ham have spent just under 100 mill Euros on transfers this summer according to Transfermarkt. Not including the wages of the players over the lifetime of their contracts. That’s the benchmark, not 100 mill over 3 years

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt