Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

2 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

By that logic why hasn't he tried to get into the Champions League then?

I think he see's it as a cup run with the potential of a poor return (about 4.3 million I believe) if you don't do well on top of the investment to get a Champion League position.   He doesn't give a crap about the clubs success and looks at the ROI before anything else taking a steady 100m for 17th with little or no investment rather than gambling x millions for a higher position with the risk of not making it back.  Would a £20m striker got us the extra 30 points we would have needed to get to a Champions League spot?  If we failed then the TV money wouldn't have covered that investment.

He only cares about the money he can take out of the club and he doesn't get that spending it.

Edited by Leon

21 minutes ago, Leon said:

I think he see's it as a cup run with the potential of a poor return (about 4.3 million I believe) if you don't do well on top of the investment to get a Champion League position.   He doesn't give a crap about the clubs success and looks at the ROI before anything else taking a steady 100m for 17th with little or no investment rather than gambling x millions for a higher position with the risk of not making it back.  Would a £20m striker got us the extra 30 points we would have needed to get to a Champions League spot?  If we failed then the TV money wouldn't have covered that investment.

He only cares about the money he can take out of the club and he doesn't get that spending it.

Rafa's already been told he'll be on a limited budget in January. I think the main talking point in January will be wether we can keep a hold of Lascelles 

38 minutes ago, Leon said:

But aye hes going to spend enough to get us into the top 16 clubs in europe in January or whatever.

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

But aye hes going to spend enough to get us into the top 16 clubs in europe in January or whatever.

I agree which is why I think he'll have looked at it when it was announced.   If the expected minimum return for a team in that league is greater than what he expects to receive in the Premiership then I could see him spending enough to get into the league and given they've said those first eleven teams would be automatically excluded from any relegation, he'd see it as profit since he'd have a team which was always there regardless of how little he then invested.

Edited by Leon

10 minutes ago, Leon said:

I agree which is why I think he'll have looked at it when it was announced.   If the expected minimum return for a team in that league is greater than what he expects to receive in the Premiership then I could see him spending enough to get into the league and given they've said those first eleven teams would be automatically excluded from any relegation, he'd see it as profit since he'd have a team which was always there regardless of how little he then invested.

You're an idiot.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

You're an idiot.

Maybe but...

Forget it's Newcastle for one moment.. Any new super league would need to be generating at least the £150m TV monies which is what the Premiership  winner received last season for the lowest positioned team in that new competition otherwise any of the current top six clubs could stay and potentially dominate the Premiership with lower costs in a similar way Celtic has in the Scottish leagues; they become the big fish in a smaller pond.   If you could invest to get into that league as one of the 16 with a no relation clause, which is what the proposal is, you could make a push for that membership then sit back with minimal investment from that point forward since it doesn't matter if you come bottom as you can't be kicked out.  In theory if he stuck 150m* into the club he would see a bigger return in three seasons than what he has today with much less risk.  That isn't investing in a football club, it's solely a business opportunity.   Ashley has a history of doing this; investing large sums for a long term windfall (HoF, Debenhams, Evans etc.) - this wouldn't be any different and I really do think he'll have looked at it the moment it was mentioned in the press.  (*That isn't what I think we need, just an example number for the purpose of the return on investment.)

For this January he'll invest only enough to avoid relegation because he doesn't want to lose money in the Championship.  What I think he'll do is bring in a big name just to say "we now have X playing for the club, I've listened and look at how I've brought in for us."   This is the same power tactic he's done before when he brought in Shearer and Benítez as we struggled with relegation in the vain hope he'd be seen as a the hero.

Edited by Leon

12 minutes ago, Leon said:

Maybe but...

Forget it's Newcastle for one moment.. Any new super league would need to be generating at least the £150m TV monies which is what the Premiership  winner received last season for the lowest positioned team in that new competition otherwise any of the current top six clubs could stay and potentially dominate the Premiership with lower costs in a similar way Celtic has in the Scottish leagues; they become the big fish in a smaller pond.   If you could invest to get into that league as one of the 16 with a no relation clause, which is what the proposal is, you could make a push for that membership then sit back with minimal investment from that point forward since it doesn't matter if you come bottom as you can't be kicked out.  In theory if he stuck 150m* into the club he would see a bigger return in three seasons than what he has today with much less risk.  That isn't investing in a football club, it's solely a business opportunity.   Ashley has a history of doing this; investing large sums for a long term windfall (HoF, Debenhams, Evans etc.) - this wouldn't be any different and I really do think he'll have looked at it the moment it was mentioned in the press.  (*That isn't what I think we need, just an example number for the purpose of the return on investment.)

For this January he'll invest only enough to avoid relegation because he doesn't want to lose money in the Championship.  What I think he'll do is bring in a big name just to say "we now have X playing for the club, I've listened and look at how I've brought in for us."   This is the same power tactic he's done before when he brought in Shearer and Benítez as we struggled with relegation in the vain hope he'd be seen as a the hero.

Forget about Super Leagues & Super Cups we''re barely clinging on to a Premiership place ffs. Just take your Super League & Super Cup & shove up your Super Arse. 

25 minutes ago, Leon said:

Maybe but...

I dont think what you're saying is totally stupid if you're looking at this from an entirely rational perspective - but I'm not sure it would be possible for us to be a founding member even if Ashley suddenly did start throwing money around. We dont have the stature.

Also, does Ashley have the 5 or 600m that would be required to do this anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a story that’s been going backwards and forwards for the last couple of years. And no, Betaville isn’t referring to the dreaded Brexit. It’s the potential sale of Newcastle United Football Club by its billionaire owner Mike Ashley.

Ashley, founder of London-listed retailer Sports Direct, rekinkled sale talks eighteen months or so ago and even since then buyers, such as dealmaker Amanda Staveley, have come and gone (often via the sports pages of British newspapers).

But now Betaville hears from usually reliable sources the maverick entrepreneur has been over in the US putting the finishing touches to a deal to sell the business to a mystery consortium of investors.

It’s not clear who the buyers for are but the fact that Ashley was over in America to finalize the details implies that perhaps the purchasers for the Premier League club are from that part of the world.

In fact, it was former Telegraph colleague and City Editor of Sky News, Mark Kleinman, who wrote a month and half ago that Peter Kenyon - former chief executive of Manchester United and Chelsea - and Rockefeller Capital Management, led by Wall Street financier Greg Fleming, were circling the club.

How much Ashley sells for remains to be seen but he was previously reported to want £400 million for Newcastle United.

Now Betaville is a football fan but as an avid City and deals watcher I’m almost more intrigued by what Ashley plans to do with the cash injection from the Newcastle United sale. Remember, the statement Ashley put out on the RNS a couple months ago, accusing the City of “stabbing him and the company in the back”?

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: Aye he does name his stores as website addresses as well, so he clearly doesn’t understand the internet. 

I hope they do tell him to fuck off. He’s been hoovering up struggling brands and stores for years, rather than do anything to improve them or bring them back he instead starts sticking their branding on cheap shite or filling the shops with lee cooper and no fear crap. 

Edited by Howay

At the meeting it would just basically be him saying the landlords should drastically lower the rents otherwise he’ll close all the stores. 

Edited by Alex

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt